Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Study: Universe could end in 10 billion years [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #902253 - 09/23/02 07:24 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

In reply to:

It is the matter itself that is expanding faster and faster as it travels through space

Acutally no, matter isn't expanding. Are you getting bigger at an alarming rate? No.

When we talk about the expansion of the universe we are talking about the expansion of the dimensions of the universe. Length, width, height, and time are all expanding. Matter is simply being "dragged" along with space as it expands, which is why we see every galaxy moving away from eachother.

And your talk of the "center" of the universe isn't correct, sorry. There is no center to the universe, because there is no outer edge. It's impossible to picture, even for the greatest of physicists, so if you can picture it you don't understand it fully. Think of it like this: is there a center to the skin of a bubble? Imagine the skin of a bubble were a two dimensional universe, and that this two dimensional universe was warped in three dimensions. That is probably the best analogy I can give to what is currently believed about the structure of the universe.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Study: Universe could end in 10 billion years [Re: CleverName]
    #902281 - 09/23/02 07:34 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

In reply to:

Observations reveal that vast halos of invisible matter surround galaxies and galaxy clusters.

The "dark matter" idea came from the fact that galaxies were seen to rotate faster than they should. The rotation of a galaxy is dependant on the ammount of matter in the system. By simply "counting" all the visible mass in a galaxy, astronomers could not account for all the matter required to make galaxies spin the way they do.

Other recent theories have done away with dark matter, though.

The problem is in counting up all the matter. Astronomers use Newton's laws of motion to guess how much matter must be present in a system to account for it's motion. Then they subtract the ammount of visible matter and whatever they are left with is deemed "dark matter". But Newton's "laws" of motion and the universe have been shown to be only MOSTLY true. They are an approximation of the universe, but not the real thing. A theory proposed in 1983, called MOND (Modification Of Newtonian Dynamics) does away with MOST of the dark matter in the universe, but still leaves some. MOND isn't very mainstream but, as I understand, it has had some remarkable evidence in support of it.

I think they've done away with most of the MACHO and WIMP theories after the successful measurement of the weight of a neutrino. Can't remember if the weight was enough to account for all the missing matter, though.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Study: Universe could end in 10 billion years [Re: Adamist]
    #902315 - 09/23/02 07:48 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

> THE ALPHA AND OMEGA...
>
> I always wondered how Christians could think God was male......
> that must mean we are either his
> 1) sperm,
> or
> 2) shit! 

ROFFL!!!!!!

ok how about we all turn out to be shape-shifting lesbians :smile: that would be fun

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: Study: Universe could end in 10 billion years [Re: trendal]
    #902548 - 09/23/02 09:06 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I'm sorry trendal but i do not rely on scientific observations to come to my truths.

The same guys that believed that the earth was the center of the universe. Many still believe we are the only inhabiting beings of the universe which is insanity.

I have seen with my own third eye the center of the universe, i will not discredit "my" observation.

As the energy field radiating from the central point expands it begins to increase the space between matter making it more and more unstable which will in billions of years collapse in on itself into a black hole. This is already being observed now with the collapse of stars. Each star that collapses gives birth to a million more. What will happen when the entire universe collapses. closer and closer into infinity we are observing.

the truth comes from within.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: Study: Universe could end in 10 billion years [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #902687 - 09/23/02 09:54 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

one last time, all matter is made up of energy. expand the energy and you put preasure on the structure of the matter. if enough preasure is applied the matter will collapse.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]