Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesickb0y
THE Golden Teacher
Male
cakes vs casing
    #9008244 - 09/30/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

hey can someone rundown the pros and cons of using cakes vs casing? i know this is probably answered somewhere else on the site but i couldnt find it anywhere. thanks guys.

--------------------
SSSSIIIICCCCKKKK

"bootin' up, shootin' up bring on the brightness
see the son of god is comin' up and there is a likeness
internalize the lunacy the misery is showin' when
you're brought up and caught up in a system that is goin"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: cakes vs casing [Re: sickb0y]
    #9008264 - 09/30/08 01:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

when you birth a cake, then dunk and roll it, the roll part is adding a casing to the cake... is your question rather, cakes -vs- ...bulk ?

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

Re: cakes vs casing [Re: Boris]
    #9008276 - 09/30/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well cakes are much easier to use and to fruit. Casing it will increase the yield.

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9008278 - 09/30/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

As far as I know, casings help promote pinning due to the higher humidity at the surface. I believe some casings also have nutrient to help with more flushes (might be wrong on that). Casings take longer because of the extra step.

Cakes are faster but don't yield as much. you can dunk and roll cakes for a quick casing layer, but not as effective as the 50/50 and others on bulk substrates.

Casings are typically for bulk, but there's also a tek or two on casing cakes by crumbling them up then put the casing over top.

--------------------
hehe

Invisiblespock
journeyman
    #9008296 - 09/30/08 01:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

cakes suck in my opinion however some swear by them.
not me. too messy. too labor intensive. measurements need to be near exact. not enough mushrooms.
i would only suggest cakes after a few casing grows. if i had started with cakes i probably would of given up disappointed in this hobby.
cakes = high maintenance low yield.
casing = low maintenance high yield.

jmo experience

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

Re: cakes vs casing [Re: spock]
    #9008312 - 09/30/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

spock said:
cakes suck in my opinion however some swear by them.
not me. too messy. too labor intensive. measurements need to be near exact. not enough mushrooms.
i would only suggest cakes after a few casing grows. if i had started with cakes i probably would of given up disappointed in this hobby.
cakes = high maintenance low yield.
casing = low maintenance high yield.

jmo experience

I disagree. Cakes are a great way to start. You learn the basics of growing and get a bit of experience. I would recommend any person new to the hobby to start with cakes and advance your way through.

I, myself started with cakes, then cased the crumbled cakes and now only use grain and bulk substrate.

Invisiblespock
journeyman
Re: cakes vs casing [Re: Jrsxt]
    #9008339 - 09/30/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

so if cakes are so cool why don't you still use them?

prolly cause they are too labor intensive and don't yield shit.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9008348 - 09/30/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, when your new... you need to learn the hard way (per-say) and get the "Feel" of how to cultivate. Being book-smart on the topic is not the same as actually getting your hands dirty, and actually getting the "feel" for growing mushrooms. and cakes are the beginners first step imo.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

#9008350 - 09/30/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't use them because, like I said, they are a great way to START. I'm beyond that point. This guy sounds to me like he's new. They don't yield as much, that's true, but you can really learn from them.

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

#9008356 - 09/30/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
Yeah, when your new... you need to learn the hard way (per-say) and get the "Feel" of how to cultivate. Being book-smart on the topic is not the same as actually getting your hands dirty, and actually getting the "feel" for growing mushrooms. and cakes are the beginners first step imo.

Agreed. :thumbup:

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9008415 - 09/30/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Cakes are good to start because you don't need a PC. Much smaller investment to get started. Also don't have to get into pasteurization or casing - you focus on the core concepts. Then move on to other things that need an extra step or two or more investment.

--------------------
hehe

Invisiblespock
journeyman
    #9008419 - 09/30/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

the best way to learn is just to start growing. it's really not hard. it is easier to grow bulk than to grow cakes. you get a better yield from growing bulk.
people have been saying over and over for years that cakes are the way to start. but why? you can learn much more by
growing bulk and you learn faster.
there are a few old heads that grow cakes with great results.
but there is a reason most grow bulk. i am way too lazy to grow cakes. most people that tell others to grow cakes don't
grow them for the same reason. i really think it is time to stop filling the noobs head with this myth.
jmo

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9008602 - 09/30/08 02:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, there are those that grow to sell/consume, ...and there are those that actually enjoy every lil step and process of cultivation as well... I'm a lazy person (We all can be at times) but I don't get lazy at any point of mushroom cultivation cause I find it all very fascinating/fun

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (09/30/08 02:34 PM)

Invisiblespock
journeyman
    #9008634 - 09/30/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i dig that and that's why i see cakes as more of an advanced
thing. the noob wants results. after you realize how easy it is then maybe dick around with cakes for the fun of it all i guess.
i've never sold a mushroom. ask a noob if they'd rather
grow a couple oz or a few grams in the same amount of time.
i think we all know the answer.
to each his own i guess.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix