Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
New analog Hygrometer!
    #9002650 - 09/29/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So I just bought this brand new analog hygrometer and its only reading about 83% rh in my fruiting chamger. I calibrated it using a damp towel for 30 minutes and set to 98% and still shows only 83%. I have a big rubbermaid container with many holes drilled on all 6 sides, and about 5 inches of damp well drained perlite.... Could my set up be the issue or do you suppose it could be my brand new fancy analog hygrometer?

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: New analog Hygrometer! [Re: shroomizzy]
    #9002684 - 09/29/08 01:24 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Try this method of calibration - it's supposed to be exact

Quote:

from http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=ch&Screen=howto_calibrate

To calibrate your hygrometer you will need table salt, a see through container such as a Ziplock baggie, and a small shallow open container, like a bottle cap.

Place a teaspoon or so of salt in the shallow container and add a few drops of water to get it wet. You don't want to dissolve it, just get a good damp pile of salt in your container. Remember, you don't want a salt water solution, just damp salt. Place the shallow container in the baggie along with the hygrometer.

Seal the baggie with some air trapped inside (so it is not tight against the hygrometer) and let it sit. Allow this to stabilize for at least 6 hours (don't rush it). After it has stabilized, check the hygrometer reading without opening up the baggie. It should be exactly 75%.

If your hygrometer doesn't read 75% after calibration then you have 2 choices. First you can remember the deviation of y our hygrometer. If it read 80% then you are 5% off and have to subtract 5% from whatever it reads. The second option is to adjust the hygrometer if your model allows for this. Some hygrometers have a dial on the back or side that can be turned to adjust the unit to 75%. If yours doesn't have this, then go with option 1.

If that doesn't work, I'd contact the seller and try to get a replacement.

--------------------
hehe

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: New analog Hygrometer! [Re: shroomizzy]
    #9003145 - 09/29/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What is your ambient humidity?

I was living in an area where the humidity was 20% or less .... and then cold winter temps didn't help .... anyway, it was tough keeping the relative humidity up in the shotgun FC ... lots of spraying.

Now, I live where it is always warm with ambient humidity between 65 and 75% and RH is no longer a problem.

Thick layer of perlite (which you've done) .... and RR recommends running a humidifier in the grow room to get the room's humidity to 50% so the shotgun's passive humidification will get you where you want.  ..... then mist, fan, fan, mist, mist, mist.

That is what I have experienced with this type of FC in dry climates.

Good luck

Shroomizzy .... I just spotted that you are in FL .... hummmm? you should be good with ambient humidity.

I have cheap ($5) calibratable analog hygrometers that work great.  I'm not sure if you hygrometer is the issue.

--------------------

Edited by uncle_rico (09/29/08 02:56 PM)

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: New analog Hygrometer! [Re: uncle_rico]
    #9003182 - 09/29/08 03:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That was my first thought too, as I can't get SG to work to save my life in AZ. Might be pretending, but the loc says FL...

I ultimately plugged up all the holes and added a reptile fogger to my fc and tweaked it so it would run for about an hour before emptying and that works good for me along with fish tank air pump to help maintain FAE while I'm at work and sleeping. I hate having to "plug in" though...

--------------------
hehe

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: New analog Hygrometer! [Re: nenl]
    #9004834 - 09/29/08 08:09 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If the ambient humidity is below about 25% or so, simply run a coolmist humidifier in the room in which your grow is located.  However, note that an empty terrarium will seldom have enough humidity, but once you add the cakes, it will jump.  Then, you simply mist as required.

Disregard the so-called salt tek for calibration.  That is intended for if you're using the hygrometer in a home. Hygrometers only have about a 20% range that they're accurate, so for our uses, you want it calibrated at 99%.

Fresh air exchange is the number 1 pinning trigger, so uncover those holes, and simply run a cool mist in your room as required.  This will also make you feel better and your houseplants will also do much better.  This is also important for those of you in snowy or extremely cold climates in winter when you have super low ambient humidity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
Re: New analog Hygrometer! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9007857 - 09/30/08 11:54 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well the ambient humidity is around 37%. I did the wet towel for half hour for the calibration, and then set it at 99%. I noticed today my humidity has gone down from 83% to low 70% this does not make since. Right now in the chamber I have One casing, 3 cakes of straw. From what I have experienced before my humidity should still at least be 90% or so.

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies