Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesteampunker
Stranger

how does contamination occur?
    #9003918 - 09/29/08 05:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I will be growing some shrooms (B+ babay!) relatively soon, and i was wondering if there were any ways i could limit contamination.  Ill be using the usual PF method with brown rice flower and vermiculite, I have a dozen half pint jars, a 15 gallon aquarium for fruiting, and i dont have a pressure cooker, because that costs too much.  Ill also be layering the bottom of the aquarium with perlite and water (should i boil the water?).

Whats the chance of contamination after the mushrooms have already been picked?  ill be trying some of them wet and fresh, but i was going to be drying them using calcium chloride and storing them in the fridge.  anyone know how long i can store them in that way?

--------------------
They want you to fit a mold, and when you break free in the most minute way they will make every attempt to break you.  Even you are apart of this system and we all must struggle to break free at any cost.

Every member of this police state is under the influence of the controlling nature of this prison environment.  "Trust no one" is the final cream of the cake of madness that has been created in this world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how does contamination occur? [Re: steampunker]
    #9003942 - 09/29/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Lose the aquarium as a FC .
A lot of contams come about because of poor FAE . A glass aquarium is not going to allow for proper FAE . The air will tend to be still .

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9003947 - 09/29/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You might try dumping a bottle of peroxide in the perlite.  You also might try getting a pressure cooker.  It comes highly recommended by top men.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #9003958 - 09/29/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

dont bother putting water with the perlite in the aquarium, just rinse your perlite really good and it will be good to go for few weeks.
one you cakes are colonized the chances of contamination taking over is very unlikely.
eventually they will fall victim to contamination though that should be until you have harvested a few flushes.
just storing your shrooms either whole or grounded in glass jars kept in a cool place will be fine, no need to store them in the fridge.
they will last longer if you store them grounded up

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Re: how does contamination occur? [Re: HippieChick]
    #9003973 - 09/29/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Lose the aquarium as a FC .
A lot of contams come about because of poor FAE . A glass aquarium is not going to allow for proper FAE . The air will tend to be still .

yea it will be ok with enough FAE as co2 sinks

Offlinesteampunker
Stranger

Re: how does contamination occur? [Re: HippieChick]
    #9003974 - 09/29/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

FC? FAE?

--------------------
They want you to fit a mold, and when you break free in the most minute way they will make every attempt to break you.  Even you are apart of this system and we all must struggle to break free at any cost.

Every member of this police state is under the influence of the controlling nature of this prison environment.  "Trust no one" is the final cream of the cake of madness that has been created in this world.

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

#9003994 - 09/29/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

FC = Fruiting chamber
FAE = fresh air exchange, its vital

Offlinegompers
The Gimp
Male

Loc: East Coast
    #9004000 - 09/29/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

steampunker said:
1)  I will be growing some shrooms (B+ babay!) relatively soon, and i was wondering if there were any ways i could limit contamination.

2)  Ill be using the usual PF method with brown rice flower and vermiculite, I have a dozen half pint jars, a 15 gallon aquarium for fruiting, and i dont have a pressure cooker, because that costs too much.  Ill also be layering the bottom of the aquarium with perlite and water (should i boil the water?).

3)  Whats the chance of contamination after the mushrooms have already been picked? 

4)  ill be trying some of them wet and fresh, but i was going to be drying them using calcium chloride and storing them in the fridge.  anyone know how long i can store them in that way?

I'll try to actually answer your questions ;p

1)  Make a glove box, and do your work there.  Or, attempt to recreate glove box conditions in the room you plan to work in.  This means still air (so no airborne nasty evil spores land on the food/space that your shrooms will be living in/eating)  Also, lysol/oust/alcohol/chlorine every surface/wall/air particle within the area, to kill anything else (including germies/spores) that want to attach to the food, and eat ur mycelium as well as brown rice. (goes for all other substrates as well)
But, as long as you follow the PF tek, you should be straight (you can steam the jars instead of pressure cooking...it works)

2)Boil what water?  Take a bunch of perlite and rinse it in a collander. Now, take the perlite and lay it in your aquarium, about 3 - 6 inches deep.  Thats it.  Some would suggest adding a bit of h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) to the perlite for extra protection, but thats optional.
As stated before, an aquarium doesnt allow for much automatic FAE, due to lack of holes, so you will need to open the top and fan some fresh air in there a few times a day.  Aquariums are fine, they just aren't for the lazy. (plz clean it out/sterilize it before you use it, hah)

3)Molding on shrooms happens if you leave your shrooms to rot on the cake, or leave them wet and stinky for too long.  Fan dry them for a day or two after picking, then put them in a desiccant chamber until cracker dry.  You really should be safe at this point for a couple months, if stored in a dark place, but storing in the fridge would probably give u a few more months of shelf life.  The sooner they are eaten, the better (potency wise, and because shrooms love to get eaten and you should be there for them)

4) I answered this in #3 kind of.  Its a rough estimate, but just smell them before you eat them.  If they smell like rotten moldy shit, then oops...if they smell like shrooms, gobble up :smile:

--------------------
chris606 said:
some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: how does contamination occur? [Re: gompers]
    #9004324 - 09/29/08 06:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you make a poor man's pod out of the aquarium?

Just stick an airpump to it, connected to a bubblering / bubblewands which you put under the perlite. This should take care of both FAE and humidity, just add water once in a while.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale