Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBrainrape
PerpetualDissenter
Environment Q
    #900312 - 09/22/02 11:09 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Ok, after a failed first batch which was WAY too wet.. yes i'm dumb, i now have 4 or 5 jars colonizing visibly. I dont have a heating pad or aquarium heater, or definitively warm spot in my apt. so i've put the 5 jars in a cardboard box, sprayed inside with household cleaner (including some paper towel in the bottom) and allowed to dry before i put the jars in. The box is now sitting in the only constant source of heat that i know of in this hell hole - i.e. on top of my computer. It's warm, but not HOT. And it's always on so i dont have to worry about it getting cold. I'm wondering if this is a good or bad idea. I'd prefer not to use a heating pad (not that it's much different from sitting on a warm computer ) due to the dehydration aspect and possible cooking of the jars. The jars consist of BRF substrate innoculated with Ecuadorian. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated.

--------------------
--That which we do not understand must be respected; for man's knowledge is great and that which has eluded him may have done so for a reason--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Environment Q [Re: Brainrape]
    #900342 - 09/22/02 11:17 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I think it'll be fine, now just don't look at 'em every day! :smile:

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

OfflineBrainrape
PerpetualDissenter
Re: Environment Q [Re: TM]
    #900344 - 09/22/02 11:18 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

no? hehe, i'm the curious sort and although i know it's not the best idea.... i tend to look at them (no sunlight present of course) everyday... is it a really bad idea?

--------------------
--That which we do not understand must be respected; for man's knowledge is great and that which has eluded him may have done so for a reason--

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #900358 - 09/22/02 11:22 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

It's not that it hurts anything, just adds frustration... Try and forget 'em for at least 3 or 4 days so that when you do look, there's really noticeable progress instead of slight changes. More satisfaction that way. :smile:

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #900363 - 09/22/02 11:24 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Brainrape from yahooka and bluelight?

Anyway yea, I looked at mine everyday, and I believe do to THIS as a main factor, ALL of my jars got contamed.

I was picking them up, taking pics, breathing on them. Definately a BIG nono, and as a first timer, I learned.

You don't HAVE to keep them locked away for a month, but what could it hurt checking on it only once every 5 days or so?

Also don't handle the jars too much, and DEFINATELY dont breath on them!

Wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap before opening the cardboard or handling them!@

OfflineBrainrape
PerpetualDissenter
Re: Environment Q [Re: tekramrepus]
    #900374 - 09/22/02 11:28 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

yeah, that's what i was thinking.... i MIGHT contam the jars if i keep molesting them. Another problem is that the tin foil on top of the jars getting torn because there's pointy parts of the lid where i punched holes before boiling. i'm not sure if i should replace the tin foil or just use duct tape and cover the tin foil with it.

--------------------

OfflineStS
treetoker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #900472 - 09/23/02 12:12 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Invest a dollar or two in a small thermometer and put it where you are keeping the jars, then just check it occasionally to help ease your worries. I know the top of my computer can get pretty hot so I would check with a thermomter before leaving your jars there.

--------------------

"You took too much, man....too much, too much!"

OfflineBrainrape
PerpetualDissenter
Re: Environment Q [Re: StS]
    #900494 - 09/23/02 12:17 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

yah, my old computer could get pretty hot too, but i specifically bought a case with a side venting turbine style fan so overheating wouldn't be an issue.. the primary heat source for the top of my computer is the power supply, which hasn't been getting too hot lately.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation