Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Montana RealtyCompany

Greater Vancouver Area adventures :)
    #899888 - 09/22/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi guys, I'm new here. I was browsing the forums for about three hours yesterday. Even though I'm just planning on doing some 'indoor stuff' I saw the hunting forum and got really psyched. So I grabbed my dad's digital camera and headed off to a nearby forest. It hasn't rained here in a while so I wasn't really expecting to find much. And I didn't.
Besides the odd pair of really small mushrooms, the only things I'd see on a consistant basis were these guys:

They would always be growing in clusters on old, moss-covered, rotting tree stumps and were really small; the largest cap being maybe an inch in diameter. So I grabbed the largest one and took a picture of the underside just for the heck of it:

The only other things I saw more than once were these guys:

I felt one and it was really really tough. I didn't take any pics of the underside, but it was bright white and completely smooth; no gills. So I'm guess it was some type of fungus? Not that I'd know 'cause I'm a total newbie. But anyway...

Here are some snaps of a huge rock I saw that was probably 30 feet high. The pictures probably don't look that impressive, but it was a really nice sight to see in person.

Okay, so my 'adventures' weren't all that adventurous, but a day or two after the next rain I'm thinking of checking out the forest around Alouette Lake. I've heard more than once that it's a pretty hot spot to find 'actives'.

So who else is from BC?

"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Greater Vancouver Area adventures :) [Re: TonyMontana]
    #900203 - 09/22/02 10:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Your first mushroom is Xeromphalina campanella which is actually fairly common, but they are a pretty find anyway.

The other mushroom is Polyporus varius (=Polyporus elegans) which can be common at times.

Nice photos. Remember to collect some specimens for each photo next time. On most mushrooms we need spore prints and we'll also need you to answer questions to make an accurate identification.

Good luck on your next foray!

Happy mushrooming!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification