Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejlw
New guy
Male

Loc: St. Louis
Detailed 1st grow log (w/ pics + error catalog): an experiment
    #8984430 - 09/25/08 01:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I see a lot of grow logs on the Shroomery that are picture perfect and to the credit of the growers here, I'm always really impressed.

But I think there are a lot of grows out there that go awry, or at least have problems, slow points, question marks. My first such grow has been one. But I think the documenting of these types of imperfect logs are just as beneficial for the new grower to read: illustrate the mistakes in the hope that others won't make them.

This is the process I've gone through so far. When I feel that I made an error in what I was doing or I want to comment on what you're seeing, it will be in forum quotes.

This is far from a finished product. I plan to update this often and improve on it as much as I can. I'm in love with this hobby, basically.

Quote:

Ready, set, go:

Step 1: Lurked on the Shroomery for a few months. A must, imo.

I decided to start my first grow about three weeks ago, the 3rd of September I believe it (give or take a few days). Let me state my intention: I didn't set out in my first grow to get a huge crop the first time around. I just wanted to get a feel for the process, learn as much as I could, try to play around with it a little bit. I wanted to have fun with it. I do a few things here that I am sure decreased my potential first yield considerably. I did these things because I knew I would learn something.

So I went with the basic PF Tek: brown rice flour and vermiculite cakes in 1/2 pint jars. Originally I mixed:

8 and 2/3 cups verm
3 and 1/4 cups BRF
Then mixed well with a wooden spoon and added 3 1/4 cups water
Then mixed well again

This was with the intention of inoculating 13 jars (lucky number). I didn't end up using nearly this much however. I only filled nine 1/2-pint jars with the stuff and had plenty left over.

Quote:

First one! I didn't photograph this part of the process, doh. Didn't have a suitable camera, unfortunately. But the PF Tek is so well documented, you can hardly go wrong. Watch RR's videos.

But anyway, next I placed them in a few inches of boiling water on the stove for an hour, suspended from the bottom of the pot by a few metal lids from other jars. Every few minutes I checked the water level and added more when it was low.

Quote:

Two of my jars cracked. I'm assuming this is because they went from room temperature to really hot very quickly. I should have started the water cold, then let it come to a slower boil.

Inoculated seven 1/2-pint jars with a few CC's each of Golden Teacher spores purchased from The Spore Works. Didn't have any micropore tape so I placed foil over the tops of the jars and packed them down to cover the inoculation points.

Quote:

You'll notice dark black lines on the following pictures: this is not mold. On Monday at 7pm I decided to trace the outline of the mycelium so I could track it's growth. The mold you see outside the black lines, therefore, is new growth since that time Monday.)

Placed them in box, in a closet, on a shelf, with a space heater set to 80 degrees. Time to percolate. The waiting for me has been torture. Ugh. So, the results:

Quote:

The weak jars:

One jar did not fruit after three and a half weeks, so I trashed it.

Three jars produced slow initial growth. One of these has recently taken off and is growing well. One has remained slow if not stagnant. One got better for while, but I fear has been taken over by cobweb.

The possible cobweb jar: as you can see, it's grown a bit since Monday, but there is a light misty looking substance in a ring around the jar. It could just be condensation but I'm worried it's cobweb. The picture quality is terrible, so you guys will probably not be able to offer me much advice.

The stagnant jar:

I separated these two from the rest recently, just to be safe. I moved them to another part of the house.

Quote:

The strong jars:

Three jars produced strong initial growth. Side view of best one:

Not quite done though. Here's the bottom of it:

Quote:

The other two which started strong are encountering the same minor obstacle. There are certain hurdles in the jar, because of the way the BRF/verm mixture was packed, that the myc is having trouble jumping. Take a look.

Good side of one such jar:

Bad side of one such jar:

Quote:

As you can see, the myc has made little progress bridging the gap since Monday. The myc is building itself really thick along these lines. Hopefully they will overtake it in time. I’m not sure if this is a common thing or not. But basically, I think I packed the cakes poorly.

Quote:

That’s where I am so far. I plan to update this frequently and thoroughly as progress continues.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: Detailed 1st grow log (w/ pics + error catalog): an experiment [Re: jlw]
    #8984457 - 09/25/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Here is my worst grow ever, this is my first bulk, what you see in this pic is what I got, it was some time ago and I just slapped it together no pastuerization  used contaminated grain so that what ya get SFA (sweet fuck all)

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: Detailed 1st grow log (w/ pics + error catalog): an experiment [Re: jlw]
    #8984675 - 09/25/08 02:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome.

Nice post.

a couple of comments:

Put foil on the jar top before it goes in the PC / pot ... then you can put more water in the pot and you won't be so concerned with the water level.  The foil will keep water from the PC'ing / boiling process from entering the jar and really wetting your vermiculite barrier and also changing the moisture content of the jars.

Using coarse vermiculite in your substrate mix will make a 'looser' mix and enable the mycelia to colonize pint jars faster.  You can put coarse vermiculite in your blender and make it 'finer' for your contamination barrier.

Sometimes when I have seen a thickened leading edge and no movement of mycelial growth, it means a border between the mycelia and bacteria.  Time and smell will tell.

Looks like you are achieving your goal of learning much and having fun.

Good for you.

Ask Santa for a Pressure Cooker.

--------------------

OfflineJeets
Stranger

Re: Detailed 1st grow log (w/ pics + error catalog): an experiment [Re: uncle_rico]
    #8984727 - 09/25/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"""Inoculated seven 1/2-pint jars with a few CC's each of Golden Teacher spores purchased from The Spore Works. Didn't have any micropore tape so I placed foil over the tops of the jars and packed them down to cover the inoculation points."""

When your jars are ready to incubate after inoc. I'd say let them sit for a couple of days then remove the first layer of foil so your inoc points are uncovered. This way, you can get some air circulation in your jars allowing them to colonize faster and prevent them from stalling.

On a lighter note you kind of look like someone i know from florida :>

anyway, cheers mang.

Offlinejlw
New guy
Male

Loc: St. Louis
Re: Detailed 1st grow log (w/ pics + error catalog): an experiment [Re: Jeets]
    #8993002 - 09/27/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So where I stand right now is this:

I basically need to produce only a single fruit, so I can clone it to an LC and start fresh with rye grains (wish I'd done this from the start, but live and learn). I'm pretty sure I'll be able to accomplish this.

A few questions:

*In a monotub set up, where there is no pearlite, how is humidity regulated? I live in a third story apt in St. Louis. In the summer humidity is no problem. In the winter though, it'll get pretty low I imagine. What's the solution?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags