Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
question about grain 2 grain innoculation
    #897674 - 09/21/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OK this may seem redundant but I posted this question yesterday and no one really answered it. I can't imagine that no one knows the answer?

The scenario is that there are 6 pint sized jars of innoculated grain. After 10 days, only one shows signs of colonization. 1 shows green mold, and the other 4 show nothing. So the question is, would it be wise to transfer some colonized grains from the colonized jar into the un-colonized jars, assuming it can be done in a sterilized glove box? I am curious what the success rates are of grain to grain innoculation, as I am unfamiliar with this tek.

Someone please give me a lil feedback on this if you have any experience with it...the hour is getting late. Thanks!

Robin

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: question about grain 2 grain innoculation [Re: robinhood2]
    #897680 - 09/21/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I would be worried why the other jars show no growth. Just because they don't look moldy doesn't mean they aren't contaminated with bacteria. I would start over with those jars and then transfer the grain..

Peace

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #897740 - 09/21/02 03:26 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

wait til your one jar is fully colonized and then you could use that to transfer some colonized mycelium to some new jars.

your other jars might make it.....they also might have a bacterial contam.
only time will tell.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleGnome69
Cultivator
Loc: My Gnome Abode
    #897808 - 09/21/02 04:16 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like bacterial contams to me...
Start over with freshly sterilized grain and then do your transfers...
I would estimate that I have around a 98% sucess rate with 1st gen grain to grain
transfers; at least with oysters....
:crazy: :tongue: :crazy:
:smirk:

--------------------
You do not believe, and that is why you fail.

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: question about grain 2 grain innoculation [Re: Gnome69]
    #897893 - 09/21/02 05:06 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

any advice on grain transfers themselves? what one uses? sterile tweezers maybe? gloved hands? It seems like a delicate process.

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #897900 - 09/21/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

This is what I do. I sterilize a long teaspoon covered in foil and put it aside until necessary. I then take the cooled, sterilized jars of grain and wipe them all down with alcohol. I place them in the oven (turned on the lowest setting with the door open). I then wipe down the donor jar and set in the oven. Open the first recipient jar and then open the donor jar. Scoop out some grain and put it in the recipient jar. Close recipient jar and place cover on donor jar. Repeat.

Some tips.... Turn off the AC and spray the air down with Lysol before you do this. It also helps to wear a shower cap, dust mask, and rubber gloves. Don't forget to wipe everything down with alcohol, too.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: mickey_rourke]
    #897967 - 09/21/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #898001 - 09/21/02 05:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If you have a relativly "clean room"?

If not convert any small room -- like an uncarpeted bathroom to as close to "clean" as you can get.

Wear clean cloths, use a face mask & hair cap (like a shower cap). Get the jars in the room & you. Spay a few bursts of Lysol & Run whatever filters you have for 20 -- 30 minutes.

Then with a clean -- big spoon in hand. Open a "master" jar. Open a fresh jar. From the master, scrape out two -- 3 spoon fulls & transfer to the fresh jar.

Replace lid on fresh jar.

Repeat ++++++++++ However many times required.

Then, tighten lids on fresh jars & shake them -- WELL. To spread the colonized grain or seed in them.

Then store at optimal temp (76 to 84F) in a clean dark place & be patient.

6T :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: question about grain 2 grain innoculation [Re: matts]
    #898366 - 09/21/02 08:36 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I know this is getting off topic, but may I ask what you use to power the computer fan? I suppose one could salvage a power supply from an old 386 PC maybe? And what's the source for a micronmagick filter disc?

Robin

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: robinhood2]
    #898594 - 09/21/02 10:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by matts (09/21/02 10:47 PM)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: question about grain 2 grain innoculation [Re: matts]
    #898857 - 09/22/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

but it does stirr up the air inside the box nicely...

why would you want to stir up the air??

Offlinegonnadoit
man with a plan
    #899309 - 09/22/02 01:13 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I don't understand a few things for one I have seen many drawings of a glove box especially in TMC and it says nothing about putting a fan in there, why would you want to stir the air up? Wouldn't that just lead to more contaims? Another thing is whats with the spoon just another factor for contaims. Why not just build a really nice air tight or almost air tight glove box, sterilize the room and glove box, put all jars in the glove box, shake your donor jar, and dump a little in to as many jars as you can fit in your glove box. I wish I could afford a laminar flow hood so I wouldn't even have to do that. I read that one jar can spawn ten. So i don't know I would just rather buikd a really nice glove box then have to deal with contaims.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: gonnadoit]
    #899315 - 09/22/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by matts (09/22/02 01:19 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale