Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineissem
Stranger
Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: Jeets]
    #8984844 - 09/25/08 03:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Definition of a toxin from wiki:

Quote:

A toxin (Greek: τοξικόν, toxikon, lit. (poison) for use on arrows) is a poisonous substance produced by living cells or organisms[1] that is active at very low concentrations.

Definition of poison from wiki:

Quote:

In the context of biology, poisons are substances that can cause damage, illness, or death to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism. Legally and in hazardous chemical labelling, poisons are especially toxic substances; less toxic substances are labelled "harmful", "irritant", or not labelled at all.

shrooms do not cause damage, illness, or death ergo they are not toxic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlasphemous
Novice Mushroom Hunter
Female

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: Jeets]
    #8984941 - 09/25/08 03:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

But if you think about it, that is the lamest defense mechanism in the world to have.

God was like:
For you Porcupine, you shall be covered with quills so things wont want to eat you.

For you chameleon, you shall blend into your surroundings so things won't see you and in turn eat you.

For you mushrooms, you shall be given a chemical that millions upon millions of people will seek you out and eat/destroy you for. :evil:

If it wasn't for the plethora of toxic species i would say the mushrooms got the short end of the stick on that one.

But back to topic, i definitely can see why they label those mushrooms as toxic mushrooms. If i ate some food and all of a sudden my body temperature was all over the place, my vision got blurry, i started feeling weird and also had a upset stomach/puking; i would totally call that food toxic.

--------------------
"Liars prosper."
~Anonymous
[quote]lexmark said:
no, howbout you learn to be illiterate[/quote]:rofl:

OfflineJeets
Stranger

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: issem]
    #8984966 - 09/25/08 03:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

issem said:
Definition of a toxin from wiki:

Quote:

A toxin (Greek: τοξικόν, toxikon, lit. (poison) for use on arrows) is a poisonous substance produced by living cells or organisms[1] that is active at very low concentrations.

Definition of poison from wiki:

Quote:

In the context of biology, poisons are substances that can cause damage, illness, or death to organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when a sufficient quantity is absorbed by an organism. Legally and in hazardous chemical labelling, poisons are especially toxic substances; less toxic substances are labelled "harmful", "irritant", or not labelled at all.

shrooms do not cause damage, illness, or death ergo they are not toxic

I think you need to re-read that definition. Psilocybin is a poison bro! It says it CAN cause all of those things.

What do you think would happen if you ate 50g of dried mushrooms? You dont think that would damage you in some way?

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Loc: Rubber box
Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: Blasphemous]
    #8984971 - 09/25/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

not toxic. this is so true... i'm drinking a beer and that is most def toxic yet no one cares... you say something like mushrooms are toxic and tell that to all the people that have never tried it and they will clame to have descovered it...

"nothing is so furmly believed but that witch is least known."

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: SyeinStrife]
    #8985165 - 09/25/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ive heard eaten your own body weight is enough to kill you. But that is only a rumor. May not hold one bit of truth. Mushrooms are just one of those things where it cant be taxed... The gov. makes more off busting people for it they would if they taxed it. I dunno with the elections looking the way they dooo.. we should all vote for ralph nader.. lol.. so we can have legal mushies. mushrooms are still a acquired taste some people have one bad trip and they are done forever. The way the economy is they need to just legalize and tax the shit out of drugs... I mean tax it hard. It will be just like a alcohol tax or a tobacco tax. The ATF will add one more letter... and be the FATDs.. lol Firearms alcohol tobacco and drugs. but officers wouldnt like that name they would wanna be called TAFD or somethin.. the DEA could just merge over with ATF. they gotta bigger organization. They would have less dangerous jobs. Instead of busting down doors they good knock and check for permits. The gov. should sell cheap permits to distribute. If they were to catch you without one $50,000-$100,000 fines. The thing the gov. doesnt do is make the penalities for breaking the law upsurd. If they did that they wouldnt have as many criminals. owell off topic have a good one.

--------------------

Offlinenykon
Mycologicaly Sufficient
Male

#8985169 - 09/25/08 04:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

how about the fact that if you eat 16 shrooms you trip balls.  But if you have a headache and you eat 16 aspirin, it will be the last headache you will ever have...

--------------------
Hey mister... What did you do to my Rooster??

PE swabs for trade.....

OfflineJeets
Stranger

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: nykon]
    #8985212 - 09/25/08 04:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nykon said:
how about the fact that if you eat 16 shrooms you trip balls.  But if you have a headache and you eat 16 aspirin, it will be the last headache you will ever have...

2 completely different things my friend. :>

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: nykon]
    #8986115 - 09/25/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nykon said:

wait it is not that dif if our gov is going to say its as toxic as tylonal than lets refrase this ... 

Quote:

nykon said:
how about the fact that if you eat 16 shrooms you trip balls.  But if you have a headache and you eat 16 acetaminophens, it will be the last headache you will ever have...

the gov said its the same...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8986200 - 09/25/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SyeinStrife said:
I thought that psilocybin was as toxic as "acetaminophen" ... thats tylenol... so yes there toxic... as toxic as tylenol

Psilocybin is nowhere near as toxic as tylenol.  You'd have to eat nearly a pickup truckload of cubensis to reach LD50, and I suspect you'd get full before then.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
    #8986212 - 09/25/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The ld50 for shrooms is WAAAAY higher than some "nontoxic" things.  Caffiene is about twice as toxic as Shrooms.  The toxicity of psilocybin is 300 mg/kg body weight.  At the cubensis standard of 1% weight being psilocybin, this means a person of average BW would have to ingest 17 KILOS of fresh shrooms, or 1.7 KILOS dried shrooms to have a 50 percent chance of dying from psilocybin toxicity.

It is also notable to say that NOONE has ever died from psilocybe toxicity.  People have ofcourse died from doing silly things while trippin, but NEVER from actual toxicity.  \

I Just don't see any dispute here.  What seems to be the question/problem?  There IS no debate as far as I'm concerned.

NONTOXIC.

Water is toxic if you drink enough.  So is oxygen (hyperventilation).

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8986223 - 09/25/08 07:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I read a while back that the actives in cubes are dangerous in very very high doses, but to consume enough mushrooms to reach this dose would burst your stomach.

The only toxicity of mushrooms is phycological, or contaminated mushrooms.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8986229 - 09/25/08 07:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yes i agree... i guess my sarcasm does not come through to well the fact that the gov said it was as toxic as anything... is the true problem... the masses have to have a comparison... and tylonal didn't scare as many as words that are not understood like acetaminophen... its missleading therefor true... acouding to the gov...

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8986309 - 09/25/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blasphemous said:
But if you think about it, that is the lamest defense mechanism in the world to have...

God was like:
at millions upon millions of people will seek you out and eat/destroy you for. :evil:

If it wasn't for the plethora of toxic species i would say the mushrooms got the short end of the stick on that one.

It's not so lame when you consider the fact that mushrooms themselves are the fruiting bodies. You have to remember that the mycelium also exists which could be the actual "living organism"
Normal fruits and berries are delicious for birds so that they eat them and spread their seeds, but the tree itself is still fine.  I think i read that cubensis weren't even native to south america at all but came when the spanish introduced cattle to the area. I read the natives of the area were using the p.mexicana species, and later when cubensis were present considered them to be inferior and sold them to "eager gringos".

Anyways I'm sorry for being a bit off topic, i just didn't want that comment up there to stick around with no response.

Edited by phaseflux (09/25/08 07:51 PM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: phaseflux]
    #8986333 - 09/25/08 07:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Overdose risk: Liberty Caps are not very toxic and so the overdose risk is low. Amounts of mushrooms used vary from one or two mushrooms to 20 or more. However, there is a risk of mistakenly taking a more poisonous mushroom or fungus.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8986335 - 09/25/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
The only toxicity of mushrooms is phycological, or contaminated mushrooms.

Psilocybe mushrooms will likely never ever kill a person...unless they're contaminated.  So how does a mushrooms get contaminated?  By growing on/with mold?  And if this is the only way, then it's technically not the mushroom, it's the mold.  Have there ever been any documented cases of someone being hospitalized or killed from "bad shrooms"?

InvisibleBlasphemous
Novice Mushroom Hunter
Female

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: phaseflux]
    #8986340 - 09/25/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I wasn't saying mushrooms are evil, i was saying god was evil for giving out that particular defense mechanism. Why on earth would i insult mushrooms on the shroomery?

:calledajoke:

--------------------
"Liars prosper."
~Anonymous
[quote]lexmark said:
no, howbout you learn to be illiterate[/quote]:rofl:

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

#8986468 - 09/25/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blasphemous said:
I wasn't saying mushrooms are evil, i was saying god was evil for giving out that particular defense mechanism. Why on earth would i insult mushrooms on the shroomery?

I dont think it is a defense mechanism, once my dog finds my spent cakes in the garden he doesnt stop eating them. I literally have to throw them in a field where he cant find them or bury them in the ground =). But honestly... if it was a defense mechanism how you find  mushrooms growing in poo? Animals eat mushrooms then shit them out and they grow...... Just like many other plants use animals to spread across the the globe.

--------------------

OfflineSyeinStrife
People Don't Like Me
 User Gallery

Re: Toxic Psilocybe??? [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #8986518 - 09/25/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
Quote:

Blasphemous said:

I dont think it is a defense mechanism, once my dog finds my spent cakes in the garden he doesnt stop eating them. I literally have to throw them in a field where he cant find them or bury them in the ground =). But honestly... if it was a defense mechanism how you find  mushrooms growing in poo? Animals eat mushrooms then shit them out and they grow...... Just like many other plants use animals to spread across the the globe.

maybe the defense mek is for you to eat them couse they canoe you will just crap them out on some awsome fertalizer...

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8986552 - 09/25/08 08:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blasphemous said:

I guess you didn't catch that I edited that post :P before you responded. Yeah I saw after i made the initial post that the evil part was the :evil: icon, but in the quote it appeared as the word and not the icon, so i thought you were saying they were evil. But i caught it early so no worries.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #8986554 - 09/25/08 08:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
Ive heard eaten your own body weight is enough to kill you. But that is only a rumor. May not hold one bit of truth.

:gonzo:
I am awe struck by the stupidity of that statement...

This is one of the worst threads in a while; lots of misinformation. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies