Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWayward_Son
Shroomable Action Figure
 User Gallery

Re: didnt put tape on the holes, how screwed am i? [Re: 4saken]
    #8975944 - 09/23/08 10:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have only done three grows, but out of 24 pint jars(pc'ed wbs innoced with spore syringe) I only lost two to contams. I never taped any of the holes I just wiped the top of the jars with alcohol and covered (loose crimp around jar)another piece of foil over each jar. Each jar had been innoced at 6 and 12 o:clock(hence two holes per jar). I also did not ever use the metal lids...but one layer of foil that the jar screw rim holds down(never screwed on tight); that is the foil I would pentrate with the needle. Then, again, I placed the second piece of foil over each jar after inoculation.

This time I did open air inoculation. Last two grows I used one of either gloveboxes I made(see my gallery). I will always use a glove box from now on, because I am thinking I may have(just posted on this)some contam issue I did not have when I did(?)even though I was VERY careful to do the open air 'correctly'. But I know that taping is not really an issue from the major success I have had even as a newbie(on my first two grows).

ALSO...I made sure that as soon as I removed my jars from the glovebox(or open air table this time)that either the glovebox was RIGHT NEXT TO the incubator(or in this case a prelysoled transfer case(big pot with lid)so that jars were not unecessarily exposed to or traveling through untreated(lysol or Oust)air. I have found so far that as long as you are careful to be sterile as you can be and move the jars as little as possible; being very careful to KNOW the environments they will be in are clean/sterile the results are good. Some swear by 'clean rooms and masks. etc'...I had my BEST grow(first!)having done everything out in my garage. Which LOOKS like a garage! You can see my floor bin used for that in the gallery if you want.
best...

Not sure about where this third grow is headed(?)but if I were to trace any issue I might be looking at this time, it might be that my WBS was a bit too wet(?)and/or I inocced open air. My experience(in two prior grows)seems to show not taping is of no real concern.

--------------------

' Call us....We're here to help!'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: didnt put tape on the holes, how screwed am i? [Re: mbrown3391]
    #8976098 - 09/23/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mbrown3391 said:
Quote:

rev 766 said:
Quote:

mbrown3391 said:
ALWAYS TAPE THE HOLES!!! I had 8 of 11 jars essentially ruined when a fly laid eggs through the inoculation holes (i had foil covering them, its not enough). The resulting maggots were not the problem, it was the contaminants they brought in with them.

your jars got contaminated because you had foil on them. the contaminates wouldn't have had time to grow if your myc hadn't been suffocated and had a hold on things down in jar town.

that being said, if you have a dry verm layer, it is pointless to tape your holes. i am assuming, since you are growing cakes, the holes are just big enough to get the syringe in. (?) if you feel the need to tape your holes be sure to use micropore so it can still breathe.

do not under any circumstances ever put foil on your cakes while they are trying to colonize.  sorry if i'm coming off dickish, i'm tired as hell. good luck.

Did you even read the post you were quoting? There were MAGGOTS in the jars. It has nothing to do with time for the contaminants to take hold. There were maggots spreading them all over the jars.

Also, foil is not exactly an airtight seal.

yeah man, i read it, and i'm sure the maggots didn't help matters any and have no clue how they could have gotten in there with foil over it, did you have the dry verm layer? even if you did, i suppose it doesn't matter, you got maggots in your jars somehow and that is really odd and rare.
i was mainly responding to the "advice" you were giving, saying to always use tape because foil "isn't enough". tape is too much, not necessary, and foil is complete overkill, literally. i'm not saying this maggot incident didn't happen to you or trying to put you down, i'm just letting you know that i don't think i have ever heard of maggots in a jar, and all those people having successful grows and not acquiring maggots are not using foil after inoculation ever, and not using tape the majority of the time. i'm not saying the foil caused the maggots or the contams they brought with them, but i am saying that your advice was based on one experience. and if you were to repeat that experiment, with or without tape added in, you would most likely get contams with or without flies.
stay hep
rev

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck