Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

why is "oriental" offensive?
    #8971018 - 09/23/08 12:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

why is calling someone "oriental" offensive? I don't like to say Asian because Indian people live in Asia, and they are caucasians (even though they are dark, they are still caucasians)

I dont know when "oriental" become a pejorative, but it sounds perfectly respectable to me.

Also sometimes people get offended by "Negro" but I really dont understand why either.

I dont understand what is wrong with these terms, they hold no negative connotation and they really dont seem like slurs to me, I don't really understand why these descriptive terms are now "racist"

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #8971035 - 09/23/08 12:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

cuz foo they arnt a flavor

--------------------

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
    #8971036 - 09/23/08 12:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can't speak to the term "oriental", but my boss once told me "I have to meet a Chinaman at 2 (pm)"
I thought that was pertty offensive, and hilarious.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #8971039 - 09/23/08 12:36 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can understand why the word "negro" is considered racist (have you seen those posters advertising an auction of 300 prime, healthy negroes?), but the status of "oriental" as a racist word confuses the shit out of me too. I don't get it. Granted it's sort of old style to call people oriental, but I don't know that it was connected with any more racism than exists presently.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Offlinemonkeywrench
Why Not?

#8971046 - 09/23/08 12:37 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with you but the deal is that people like  being in a position to avail themselves.  It's retarded, like Black people calling each other the N-word but if anyone else says it then all of a sudden things change.  I couldn't care less what someone calls me but I respect others opinion and wishes on the matter.  It's only a big deal cuz people give the issue so much credence.  I can't stand the victim mentality though.  my .02

--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Edited by monkeywrench (09/23/08 12:40 AM)

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #8971064 - 09/23/08 12:43 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tchan909 said:
I can understand why the word "negro" is considered racist (have you seen those posters advertising an auction of 300 prime, healthy negroes?), but the status of "oriental" as a racist word confuses the shit out of me too. I don't get it. Granted it's sort of old style to call people oriental, but I don't know that it was connected with any more racism than exists presently.

that is because in the times of slavery, strong african or negro slaves where better than a small irish slave, etc. African Ancestored people where more sought after as slaves, and part of that is they do better in the sun (duh)

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizonee
    #8971345 - 09/23/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I've always referred to oriental people as oriental.  It's actually a really good descriptive word....Asian definitely doesn't cut it.  I think it's pretty dumb that it's considered offensive -- it's no more offensive than calling someone 'hispanic'.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #8971417 - 09/23/08 02:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's as offensive as me talking about "the Jew". It's not racist in itself, but it's the sort of term that's old-fashioned and mostly used by racist people, so it's guilty by association.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleIrishdrunk
Democracy? We Deliver!!!
Male User Gallery

Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: zouden]
    #8971424 - 09/23/08 02:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The Orient doesn't cover all Asians, so calling every Asian Oriental is rude.

Or so the legend goes....

I just call them slants.

--------------------
:awesome:

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Irishdrunk]
    #8971489 - 09/23/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's much better to not apply any cultural word to people and just act nervous and avoid eye contact. That always makes people feel welcome.  :uhoh:

For me, it's more about the tone. So I don't know if someone is truely from the orient, but if it's not meant to be derogatory then chalk it up to the idiot that doesn't know their exact heritage and go about your business.  Why waste time being mad because of what someone else said wrong?

We're all people... if you're respectful, or at least trying to be, then there should be no problem. There are some people that will get offended no matter what. That applies to more than culture - the other day I called someone at work a "lady" and that was offensive to her. Apparently a lady is implied to be old.

--------------------
hehe

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: nenl]
    #8971505 - 09/23/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The Dude: Walter, the chinaman who peed on my rug, I can't go give him a bill, so what the fuck are you talking about?
Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you DO NOT... Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.
The Dude: Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here. This is a guy...
Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you...?
The Dude: Walter, he peed on my rug!
Donny: He peed on the Dude's rug.
Walter Sobchak: Donny you're out of your element! Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here!

--------------------

OfflineMcMoney
see through the mind.
Male

Loc: Florida.
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8971548 - 09/23/08 04:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i think its because of arrogant / ignorant people have taken the word and used it for such a while that everyone after time thought that it was bad.

kinda like hitler...

how he took the a Mayan symbol and turned into something that meant peace, into something that whenever people see it now a days they crap them self's

--------------------
open your heart to the Love.
                                          open your mind to the Dream.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#8971778 - 09/23/08 06:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I think addressing or talking about people in reference to race and ethnicity is a bigger problem. If you do so, you imply difference and with it introduce duality.

I for one am more comfortable in interracial company to be referred to by my name rather than "white boy" :smirk:
See the nuance?

When the topic is on race and ethnicity you obviously must be able to use some words.

Its certainly true some people are extremely sensitive on certain words, but then again there still is a lot of disgusting racism around and a lot of people way too insensitive about hurting other peoples feelings - regardless of the topic.

Be personal and be polite. If someone is offended by your words don't make a court case out of it "on principle alone" but re-establish the connection and find out why that person got offended.

People are so damn aggressive nowadays. :shrug:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Asante]
    #8971830 - 09/23/08 07:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

maybe "asian american" is more PC.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#8971851 - 09/23/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It doesnt sound right though. Does "european american" sound right to you?

Maybe some language commission should take matters in their own hands, invent a couple of racial words for all races that bear no resemblance to previous words and then establish those as the official correct words.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8971865 - 09/23/08 07:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yeah... to me "african american" sounds dumb because it implies on a pre-decided notion that the person in question has just arrived from africa.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#8971896 - 09/23/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"blacks" was the word of choice of the South African Apartheid regime.

The new words should be easy and nonoffensive. Not some artificial-sounding concoction of a dozen syllables.

Something easy and nonoffensive. Why do we even have language commissions and institutions? Let them solve it.

On a side note I saw a racist discussion in some forum where one bonehead used the word caucasian and another responded with: "I'm not any kind of asian you bastard".

Even racists can't tell the words apart anymore:lol:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8971897 - 09/23/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
    #8971899 - 09/23/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Same reason being labeled "American" is mildly offensive to Canadians. Technically its accurate because we are North Americans, but because it has connotations with the United States, many of us take the term offensively.

Orient is a generalized term for south east Asia and while it would technically be accurate for someone from Vietnam or Thailand, the same problems apply. Most individuals don't like the associations that come with a generalized term for someone from their part of the world.

Edited by Irdamage (09/23/08 07:53 AM)

Invisiblespock
journeyman
    #8971903 - 09/23/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"Be personal and be polite. If someone is offended by your words don't make a court case out of it "on principle alone" but re-establish the connection and find out why that person got offended."

good words.
it's funny (well, not really) how long threads about race grow to be on message boards. usually filled with people very angry about how they are not racist.

most biggots are either angry or they are ignorant.
the angry ones are usually deep down realy trying to redirect attention(both thiers and others) away from something that is fucked up about themselves.
the ignorant biggots are'nt allways meaning to offend sometimes they are just too stupid to question negative stereotyping. they don't know many if any blacks, or asians or gays so they base thier out look on what they are told. the ignorant ones usually have a followers mentality. they are sheep but make good listeners and followers for the angry biggots.

jmo

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: spock]
    #8971911 - 09/23/08 07:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

spock said:
"Be personal and be polite. If someone is offended by your words don't make a court case out of it "on principle alone" but re-establish the connection and find out why that person got offended."

good words.
it's funny (well, not really) how long threads about race grow to be on message boards. usually filled with people very angry about how they are not racist.

most biggots are either angry or they are ignorant.
the angry ones are usually deep down realy trying to redirect attention(both thiers and others) away from something that is fucked up about themselves.
the ignorant biggots are'nt allways meaning to offend sometimes they are just too stupid to question negative stereotyping. they don't know many if any blacks, or asians or gays so they base thier out look on what they are told. the ignorant ones usually have a followers mentality. they are sheep but make good listeners and followers for the angry biggots.

jmo

That's quite a generalization.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8971949 - 09/23/08 08:10 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Just call everyone you meet, regardless of race: "Bitch". Solves all problems.

"What's up, bitch?"

"Excuse me, I'm Asian/Black/Hispanic!"

"Whatever, bitch."

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #8971974 - 09/23/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

"..so the bitches from Europe abducted bitches from Africa to take as slaves.."

You may be on to something here. It could be perceived as sexist though.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (09/23/08 08:22 AM)

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #8972054 - 09/23/08 08:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"..so the bitches from Europe abducted bitches from Africa to take as slaves.."

You may be on to something here. It could be perceived as sexist though.

:justdontknow:

The bitches in Africa fought, and enslaved each other. Those bitches then sold each other to the greedy European bitches who needed a free workforce to replace the "native American" bitches who kept getting up and running away.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisible04281969
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Re: why is "oriental" offensive? [Re: spock]
    #8972071 - 09/23/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I always use "Negroid".  Those people love that.

And, "of the Orient", or "disoriented" if they live in the West.

What?

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#8972159 - 09/23/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:

Just like African-American, it means (in my understanding) that person is an American citizen of Asian or African decent/heritage. So if you called someone an Asian-American who was here on vacation and not an American citizen, they could very well take that as offensive.

The bottom line is you can not make everyone (or most people even) happy - you got to be who you are and if someone gets pissy because of what you said, especially if they don't care to learn the meaning behind your words, that's their problem.

--------------------
hehe

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder