Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebeatlesrock
Stranger
maybe if
    #896019 - 09/20/02 09:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

cutting a piece off your body does not lessen what is essentially you. if you cut off a foot and get medical attention your mind will be perfectly fine. if your body was to be cut away and all that is left of you is a skull and a brain, everything below gone, your mind wouod still be there even though your body isnt, if blood was still being artificially pumped through your head in a lab somewhere. then lets say your skull is surgically removed and blood is still kept pumping artificailly. ears, nose, and eyes, all senses gone. you would still have your thought, wouldnt you? then lets say pieces of your brain are surgically removed. you are losing many of your cognitive abilities. but where are "you" in all of this? if you kept removing mroe and more brain matter, and keeping it alive, losing mroe and more functions, when will the scientists doing this to the brain eventually find, dare i say it, the soul? could all of those outer cognitive areas of the brain be removed until there is nothing left but you, apart from all you have learned, as you were when you were born? or even before you were born, as when you are born you have a full brain. so where is this part in the brain where our souls exist? dont call it a soul if you dont want to, but whatever it is, whatever makes you "you". and if the scientist cut away all those outer areas, wouldnt we all essentially be the same? and what if the scientist finally arrived at this small piece of brain, this primordial core where we actually exist, apart from our senses, advanced thought, everything that makes us human, what if the scientist, while keeping it alive, were to cut it in half? because up until nowwhen the scientist cut off a small piece of brain, your "soul" "consciense" or whatever you would like to call it has remained in the larger piece. none of "you" is in the smaller pieces cut off. but could this process of go on forever? the scientist never arriving at one indivisible piece of brain that could not be cut without dividing "you" in half? or what if this piece was to be found, and then cut in half? would "you" be cut in half, existing in two seperate pieces of brain matter? would you be two in the same? two seperate entities? fused as one? seperated as two? are "you" actually the matter that makes up your brain? or the electronic impulses that give your brain life? or are "you" simply contained in your brain? what if the brain dies? if "you" are your brain do you die too? if "you" are simply contained in your brain, could you exist without it? or would you be passed along into another brain, not nessessarily a human one? or passed along into a tree, plant or microbe? if "you" can exist without your outer senses and intelligence, having them cut away by a scientist, this essential core being found, wouldnt this core, "you" be the same as the "core" of a tree? humans probe, they question, they interact. but these are all just functions of the "outer" areas of the brain that "you" have no real bond with, other than human anatomy. a tree has none of these, so a tree can have a soul too, right? or is this not just with biological entities? maybe the universe as a whole is made up of living things, some intelligent biological matter, some simple elements, some dark matter. or is it just with biological organisms? or is it just with animals? or just with humans? so when the brain does, maybe "you" just drift off into nothingness. or maybe you move into another lifeform, or piece of mass. or maybe "you" are destroyed. or maybe "you" never really existed to begin with. maybe everyone and everything is really a collection of "you" that is all the same, or could they be all different? or maybe the entire universe is all one, and each individual is just an outlet for this one being. like an electrical line in a house, the electricity inside it is all the same, and different outlets in different rooms tap the same line. maybe we are all just outlets tapping off the same line. or maybe...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: maybe if [Re: beatlesrock]
    #896047 - 09/20/02 09:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

phew, i feel like i just took some acid.
that's a nice flow, thanks for sharing.
will you record it for me so i can put music to it?  :smile: 

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #896058 - 09/20/02 09:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

man! nice thoughts... although i would like to see some paragraphs in there  :grin:
and well esoterically speaking, our body does not house our soul... it is the other way round... our soul houses our body... the soul is tu be found EVERYWHERE inside a perimeter of approx. 3-5 meters around the body... that is the reason for people having auras...
and well i guess through this process your soul would at a given time just leave your body... and reeincarnate somewhere else...

--------------------

OfflineChikhai
Loc: Florida
    #898300 - 09/21/02 10:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

what if the scientist, while keeping it alive, were to cut it in half? because up until nowwhen the scientist cut off a small piece of brain, your "soul" "consciense" or whatever you would like to call it has remained in the larger piece. none of "you" is in the smaller pieces cut off. but could this process of go on forever?

Theoretically, yes. But anything is possible within the mind... that's why they make cartoons =)

--------------------
"I see!" said the blind man to his deaf wife.

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
    #898311 - 09/21/02 10:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

one word: hippocampus. that's you.

edit: I guess that's simplifying it a bit though, but that's what you're doing in this thread anyway because you don't seem to know much about neuroscience, and while I can't say I'm an expert myself, here's a super-quick overview:

the hippocampus is where all your memories are stored, it's what makes you an individual,  I guess. because if your hippocampus was surgically inserted into a cloned brain(of course this hasn't been tried yet but some people are working on it :smile: ) would function just as you do. you can't totally be a human consciousness without those cognitive abilities provided by other parts of your brain, but the hippocampus is the only part of your brain that you could say is completely different from another person's. you've had many similar, but many completely different experiences from everyone else. but stored memories alone aren't "you", it's just mostly what makes you different from everyone else. as this scientist cut away parts of your brain, leaving the hippocampus for last, you'd begin to have disorganized and bizarre thought processes as your capabilities for thought were diminished. but everything  you "know" would still be there, sort of.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Edited by Albino_Jesus (09/21/02 10:21 PM)

OfflineMortMtroN
journeyman
Re: maybe if [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #898577 - 09/22/02 12:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

So this hippocampus. That's what I've been thinking about.

I have a theory:

IT all starts with DNA. All live must die. All life reproduces. What then is the motivation for reproduction if we just die anyway. Reproduction is when two sets of chromosomes combine to form a new organism who is a genetic blend of the mother and father. So why does life reproduce? My belief is that the key motivation is immortality. I can simplify by talking about cloning. When you replicate a strand of DNA the new organism is by all mean exactly the same as before. So do they share a soul? in a sense I think they do. I think there is some sort of biological part of the brain that is the soul. This may be the hippocampus. So if the hippocampus is the same for two genetically identical clones then the hippocampus of a child is a blend of two souls. Two souls that fell in love with each other and reproduced. So the soul is passed down through generations and gradually evolving. If you can trace human evolution back to one specific point then we are all blends of the same soul. If you can trace it back to the evolution off all life from simpler organisms then you could see that all organisms are somehow linked this way. That all life is one soul divided into many different pieces and blends all dependent on one another for survival.

please disregard this entire post, I am a madman

OfflineLarrythescaryrexS
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
    #898588 - 09/22/02 12:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

we're sea horses?!

:grin:

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #899693 - 09/22/02 06:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

because up until nowwhen the scientist cut off a small piece of brain, your "soul" "consciense" or whatever you would like to call it has remained in the larger piece. none of "you" is in the smaller pieces cut off.

Yes, it is. You are your brain, and destroying your brain piece by piece will destroy your personality piece by piece. Alzheimers' disease. Whittle a person's brain down to the minimum and you've got a reptile, or a zombie, or a vegetable. Not the same person you started with.

BUT It is possible to live and function normally with only half a brain, if it is divided cleanly down the middle. The hemishpheres are mostly redundant (like lungs, kidneys...) and synchronized with each other. Splitting people's brains has been done to stop seizures. Because they still inhabit the same body, take in the same senses, it is hard to tell- but later experiments showed you've really got two consciousnesses now that aren't in communication with each other. If you covered the person's right eye, and showed them a word so that only the left eye saw it- and then asked them to write it, they could only do this with their right hand. Because the right brain, which controls the left hand, did not see the word.

http://www.macalester.edu/~psych/whathap/UBNRP/Split_Brain/Behavior.html

If the halves were used in brain transplants to different bodies, both would remember your entire life up to the operation but would become more and more different people as their experiences diverged from that point. To ask which one was "really you" has no meaning. Both would say their half got the soul, that yes, I'm still me and that other one must be someone else.

OfflineChikhai
Re: maybe if [Re: Xibalba]
    #899865 - 09/22/02 07:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I remember seeing a video on that in my psyche class... it was quite interesting, especially the lady whose hands would both be doing something yet she was only consciouslly controlling one of them.  For instance, she'd be looking at clothes in her closet, deciding what to wear, she'd go to get something with one hand only to realize her other hand was already holding a shirt.

About the seizures, I don't think they actually cut the brain in half, it's more like they prevent certain areas from sending messages to other areas or something like that.  I dont know.. I've done too many drugs since I had that class... heh... drugs are bad mmmmmk :wink:

--------------------

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: maybe if [Re: Chikhai]
    #899887 - 09/22/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

no one said seizures cut the brain in half.
seizures are when synapses fire rapidly at the same time, rather than normal brain function in which synapses fire in an organized, sequential fashion

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

OfflineChikhai
    #899907 - 09/22/02 08:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I wasn't saying that anyone said seizures split the brain in half.. I was talking about what doctors do to correct the disorder. Yet another example of how bad I am at explaining myself.. heh.

--------------------

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: maybe if [Re: Chikhai]
    #899918 - 09/22/02 08:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ah.
then yes, in some cases, scientists actually sever all connections right between the left/right hemispheres

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology