Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinex7x_x7x
x7x, my problem child.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: buenos aires Flag
azurescens-cyanescens
    #8950259 - 09/18/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i wonder if azurescens and cyanesces not fruit until the wood substrate is rotten

the myceluim grows in summer, while the wood is decomposed, and fruit in autumn

could be?

--------------------
cultivando en la miseria

SuctoSpore® Pictorial Tek

x7x_x7x@shroomery.org

carl_jung_in_lsd@yahoo.com

koh samui and oak ridge are my favourite strains

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

Re: azurescens-cyanescens [Re: x7x_x7x] * 1
    #8950528 - 09/18/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This is due to fruiting temperatures rather than how decomposed the substrate is.  Both Psilocybe azurescens and cyanescens are primary decomposers.  Otherwise, wood decomposed from the previous year would support fruiting much earlier in the season according to your theory.

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

Re: azurescens-cyanescens [Re: Williamsii]
    #8950561 - 09/18/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a quote from Workman about different Psilocybe decomposers of wood (mainly weilii):

Quote:

Although considered a woodlover, Psilocybe weilii appears to be more of a secondary decomposer instead of a primary decomposer of wood. Best results are on composted and partially decayed material that has been pasturized. I've had good luck with sterilized horse manure. A mixture of woodchips and compost will support an outdoor bed for a few years in the right climate. Pure woodchip beds will work but often fruiting is delayed.

A few other "woodlover" species that tend to do poorly on fresh wood are Psilocybe baeocystis, P. stuntzii, P. arcana and P. villarrealii (closely related to P. weilii).

True woodlovers include P. cyanescens, P. azurescens, P. cyanofibrillosa and P. subaeruginosa

Psilocybe cyanofriscosa and subaeruginascens are two other 'true woodlover' or primary decomposers I believe.

Edited by Williamsii (09/18/08 05:24 PM)

Offlinex7x_x7x
x7x, my problem child.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8950729 - 09/18/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

what mean "primary" and "secondary" decomposers?

--------------------
cultivando en la miseria

x7x_x7x@shroomery.org

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8950883 - 09/18/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

A secondary decomposer can only break down and eat matter that has already been partially broken down by primary decomposers.

A primary decomposer would be the first to colonize and break down a tree after it dies, for example.  However, the primary decomposer doesn't break down the wood completely.  So once the the primary decomposer has started breaking down the wood the secondary decomposer can carry on the decomposition process.  Primary and secondary decomposers can both live in the same location, breaking down the substrate one after the other.

Some species are both primary and secondary decomposers.  For example, Psilocybe cubensis.  Psilocybe cubensis can be both the first fungus to break down poo from herbivores and also break down composted poo.

Is that clear?  If not just ask what you don't understand and I'll try to explain better.

Offlinex7x_x7x
x7x, my problem child.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8951303 - 09/18/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok! thanks

--------------------
cultivando en la miseria

x7x_x7x@shroomery.org

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags