Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: Anno]
    #895599 - 09/20/02 11:38 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

You're really reaching now, Anno... I already admitted that was stupid. Why can't you ever admit your mistakes?

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: TM]
    #895608 - 09/20/02 11:44 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

My cock is bigger. No my cock is bigger.....come on guys really. Just drop it. Both of you.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #895610 - 09/20/02 11:46 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I do not believe in my ramblings that I said steam was cooler than water ? Did I ? If so I am sorry . I was trying to explain the relationship between them , and how they effect each other .
It must be hotter (almost unmeasurable ) or it would remain in a liquid state .
Water= liquid
Steam=vapor
Any one know the third state of matter in the universe ?
Could it possibly be the grey matter between our ears ?
Nice to know we have something in common Trip , other than starting shit with people !  :cool:  I am only a low life apprentice thus far not "certified " certifiable but that is whole other story .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (09/20/02 11:53 AM)

Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: tripndicular]
    #895757 - 09/20/02 01:10 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

It is rare that I post anything, but I think that my degree in chemistry may give me grounds to speak. As a previous post stated, a temp equalibrium is established during phase transference. Steam has the capability of exceding the max temp of water by many degrees, but only after the phase transference is complete. Is is possible to circumvent this effect with multichamber heating. For all intents and purposes, though, steam and boiling water are the same temperature, no matter the altitude. If the decrease or increase in atmospheres alters the boiling point to X degrees, the steam will be equal to X.

p.s.- the first person to describe how to build a simple condenser out of normal household items gets a stroph print.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: ellisdee625]
    #895762 - 09/20/02 01:12 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

>the first person to describe how to build a simple condenser out of normal household items gets a stroph print

Condenser for which substance?

Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: Anno]
    #895791 - 09/20/02 01:24 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

How about something easy...... Explain how to build a condenser that will be used to distill water. Nothing acidic will be used....(hint: because no acids will be used, copper is in play  :wink:  ) 

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #895814 - 09/20/02 01:38 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

This is too easy... take your grandma's pressure cooker and remove the weight from the steam vent and replace it with 6 feet of plastic tubing coiled in the air and ending over a catch cup. Simple condenser. Where's my print?

--------------------

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
    #895850 - 09/20/02 02:12 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

it's your's. pm me with your addy. if anyone else wans to describe what fractional distillation is they will get a fanaticus print.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

Edited by ellisdee625 (09/20/02 02:35 PM)

InvisibleTM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #895890 - 09/20/02 02:33 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Keep it, I have all the prints I need.... I just wanted to win. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Loc: Not In The US
    #895905 - 09/20/02 02:42 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Heres the skinny on water vs. steam.

To give you an idea of energy and effects on water temperature :
Steam burns 100 calories per gram of water as it condenses.
It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water to change the temperature by 1 degree centigrade.
It takes 40 calories of energy to make water into ice.

Ok well..

Temperature wise they are the same, but the steam has more ENERGY meaning it would burn you a hell of a lot worse than boiling water. ie taking the meat right off your bones in a matter of a split second.

Steam would sterilize it faster than the boiling water below it, but the heat is the same, you can't get water hotter than 212 degrees farenheit, it evaporates (at 1 atmoshpere).

When steam comes in contact with an object and condenses it puts greater heat into the object, like degreasing an engine, you would use a steam cleaner than blasting with boiling water.

Why do you think they have steam engines instead of boiling water engines.

In reply to:

In order for it to covert to vapor it MUST be hotter than the boiling point.

Wellllll, yea it actually does have to be, but steam doesn't get much hotter than boiling water, to turn water into steam it has to be 212 degrees, but in reality, to turn really change it it has to be above 212 degrees, but this doesnt exactly mean than its any hotter that you can tell a difference from... It would be like 212.000000000000000001 degrees, and poof, its steam.

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

#895914 - 09/20/02 02:57 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Fractional Distillation

The distillation of a chemical by evaporating off other chemicals which have a lower heat of vaporization pt. In other words, it if turns from liquid to gas, at a lower temperature, distill it at X temperature, and catch the runoff from the tube, and theres your chemical.

A good example of this would be mixing alchohol and water. Distilling the solution at the boiling point of alchohol, and letting the condensation of it at that temperature run off into a cup. Do this over and over, and you have moonshine. Don't do this cause youll kill yourself when you drink it, lol.

A more extensive explanation is a classic one, purification of crude oil. Which can be found here - http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/outlines/distill.html

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

Edited by TripsAreForKids (09/20/02 03:00 PM)

Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
fractional distillation [Re: ellisdee625]
    #895935 - 09/20/02 03:14 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Fractional distillation is used to separate volatile material like petroleum. It relies on Raoult's law and is used to separate gasoline from kerosene and lubricating products in the petroleum refinery process. Gas is collected near the top of the fractioning tower because it is the more volatile component. Good enough? pm me!

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: djamor]
    #895986 - 09/20/02 03:48 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: How hot it is in the steam pot ? [Re: TripsAreForKids]
    #896032 - 09/20/02 09:08 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

tripsareforkids git it first. pm me with your addy and i'll sent out your print tomorrow.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Re: fractional distillation [Re: matts]
    #896118 - 09/20/02 10:01 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

In reply to:

those are definitions, anyone can use google

actually i remember learning it in my chemistry class my senior year, then i searched and found a good example, that was when i edited it.

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: TripsAreForKids]
    #896130 - 09/20/02 10:09 PM (19 years, 11 days ago)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #899672 - 09/22/02 05:54 PM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Fill a glass with ice water put in a room where humidity is present and watch the water (moisture in air ) "condense" on the outside of the glass . This is non mechanical , does it count ? I was not here when this was presented . And yes I fully agree temp is same unless you super heat the steam to make temp greater , this is where live steam becomes reality .
This is a fact of physics ............. THE BOILING POINT OF WATER CAN BE CHANGED AND CONTROLLED BY CONTROLLING THE VAPOR PRESSURE ABOVE WATER . I did use the term latent heat incorrectly though .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Onlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #901092 - 09/23/02 07:30 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

fractional distillation is when the vapors are passed up a tall column which is packed with material with a high surface area e.g. small marbles. the vapours condense when they hit the colder sections of packing (marbles) in the column. the condensed vapours fall back down the column and are heated by the uprising vapours. if distilling alcohol which is say 10% the vapours will be say 40%, when these cool and fall back down the column they get heated and the vapors coming off the condensed 40% alcohol will be say 65%. the taller the column is the more theoretical redistillations will take place and the more the mixture of alcohol and water will separate leading to a column with 95% alcohol at the top. there will be a temperature difference going up the column, coldest place being at the top about 78C in the case of alcohol all the way up the column will be different "fractions" depending on how many different substances are in your mixture. even better is to reflux the vapours back down the column, this means cooling the vapours at the top of the column before they reach the outlet, this forces the vapours back down the column purifying them even more.
i have my own fractionating reflux still and can make 95% alcohol but i usually settle for 92%.

Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
Re: fractional distillation [Re: TripsAreForKids]
    #903708 - 09/24/02 04:52 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Good job trips, you worked harder for that one. Not google, Chemistry Textbook -Kotz & Purcell.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order