Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrichor
Explorer
Male

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Looking for input on collection program
    #8940215 - 09/16/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hello, Im pretty new to mushrooming but my wife and I were out collecting specimens and had a good idea.  We were discussing how to best preserve our collection data and were talking about journals and what not, but it occured to me that I could create a sort of collection database (especially in this age of digital photography/imaging) that would be highly useful!  You could go collecting, jot down your notes, take pictures, collect samples, make your sporeprints etc, and then log all that information into a program which you could then search:  Say you wanted to look at all the collections you taken of mushrooms of genus X, or all the mushrooms collected on date Y, or maybe look at all white stemmed mushrooms youve ever collected.

Anyways, I was wondering a few things:

(1) Is there already a program out there like this?  I know I could use a pre-exisiting database program (like Access and simply design a custom database), but Ive got a few other tricks up my sleeve and would enjoy producing a standalone app that everyone could use!

(2) If you could dream up the ideal such electronic collection tracker, what would its key points be?

As I mentioned, my wife and I only just started collecting mushrooms, so were pretty inexperienced with regards to all the different things youd want to be record your observations of, how youd like to best search through a mushroom collection, etc etc, and Id like to hear from people with a lot of experience!

Ive got a background as a phd student in biophysics and I do application development at the moment, so this sort of thing is right up my alley -  I imagine it could even be used by observers/collectors of other animals/plants if I design it broadly enough.  But my first focus will be creating it around mushroom collection/identification.

Anyways, hope to hear from the community here!  (also, if this would be better suited to another forum, please let me know, or just move my post :smile:

Thanks!

EDIT:  I looked at some of the old posts re: a mycology research tracking program.  Looks like they were about 6 years old and nothing came to fruition.  While tracking research types through a database seems like an interesting problem, it seems a bit too varied for what I'm hoping to write (as research is usually quite unique from project to project, writing a generalized database that could adapt to everyones research would be like writing by own version of mySQL, lol).

Edited by trichor (09/16/08 06:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetrichor
Explorer
Male

Re: Looking for input on collection program [Re: trichor]
    #8940236 - 09/16/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

...also, is it just my imagination, or are all my apostrophes getting stripped out from my posts?

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
    #8942819 - 09/17/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there tricor,

Here are the form styles we use at MOMs.

http://www.missourimycologicalsociety.org/Forms.html

Check the Foray Field Data Slips for some ideas. Hope it helps.

--------------------

Offlinetrichor
Explorer
Male

Re: Looking for input on collection program [Re: JaComet]
    #8943781 - 09/17/08 11:12 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That's great input, thanks so much!  Between that and the few books I'm borrowing from the library, I should be able to put together a sort of form pretty easily.

<excited dance>

I noticed from that link that you guys "submit" your field data... What do you do with that at the moment? Is it printed out and placed in folders/books/whatnot, or stored electronically?  Don't sweat it if you don't know, I'm just curious :smile:

Offlinetrichor
Explorer
Male

#8943837 - 09/17/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also I noticed the forms you linked me to utilized modern english descriptors, while the book I have uses latin descriptors.  Which is the currently accepted "best practice"?

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
    #8948104 - 09/18/08 06:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

MOMs is a semi casual organization of mushroom lovers dedicated to food , drink and fellowship. About half the forays are fully organized, experts, speakers, workshops, like that. Others are largely camp and enjoy. As individuals we’re primarily interested in eating strains, thus the common name usage.

Data that is collected ends up on these pages:

http://www.missourimycologicalsociety.org/species.asp

http://www.missourimycologicalsociety.org/vouchers-v1.asp

Aside from giving away our secret hunting spots, we are in an arrangement with the State Conservation Department developing fungi guides and documenting  species locations. The Latin comes later as we learn together.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains