Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK]
    #8946201 - 09/17/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Can we calm down about Ecstasy
September 18, 2008 - independent.co.uk

The 50,000 people who spent last weekend expanding their minds and sensory perceptions on ecstasy will probably have missed the news that the drug might soon be reclassified from A down to B. The fact that it is officially considered one of the most dangerous drugs on the streets of Britain has most likely escaped them too, for if the after-effects of a night taking ecstasy gave even a hint to users that it should be ranked alongside heroin, they would probably have stuck to the vodka and tonics.

Those convicted of possession of ecstasy face up to seven years' imprisonment and dealing could confer a life sentence; the point of the archaic classification system being to match the punishment with the harm caused by the drug, something it fails to do. "Harm" here means the harm caused to the person taking that drug, not those around them.

The charity DrugScope says that, "after taking ecstasy users may feel very tired and low and need a long period of sleep to recover" and that regular use could lead to sleep problems, lack of energy, dietary problems, depression and anxiety. There are also fears that we are sitting on a timebomb generation of potential Parkinson's sufferers, yet the acid house crew are pushing on a bit now, and there is little evidence that they are unravelling.

Ecstasy is not an addictive drug and it is already eight years since a Police Foundation inquiry found it to be several thousand times less dangerous than heroin and to play a part in fewer than 10 deaths per year. Ever since the tragic death of Leah Betts in 1995, though, it has been difficult to shake ecstasy's reputation as a killer.

The dangers of ecstasy should not be underestimated. It can lead both directly and indirectly to death, and the associated and cumulative negative effects it can have on the health of users are potentially serious. Yet they pale in comparison with the consequences of alcohol and tobacco abuse. When he was chief executive of the Medical Research Council, Professor Colin Blakemore said ecstasy was "at the bottom of the scale of harm", a view which has since been corroborated by other leading experts in science, medicine and the police service.

In concentrating on the health fall-out of drugs, Home Office classifications short-sightedly ignore the social impact of drug use (though ministers are pushing for such consequences to be considered), rendering the system as arbitrary as when it was introduced under the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act.

Does anyone remember the one about the clubber who was so blissed out on ecstasy that he started a fight on a bus and stabbed an innocent bystander? What about the group of lads who each necked a handful of pills and gang raped a fellow raver? Or the party-goer who stands accused of date rape and is using the fact that he took ecstasy with his accuser as a defence? Then there's the woman who broke into her own parents home and stole and pawned her mother's jewellery to fund her ecstasy habit.

Of course you haven't heard any such tales, because ecstasy does not lead to the sort of violent and aggressive behaviour that alcohol does, nor does it develop into a dependency which users turn to crime to fund.

Professor David Nutt, the incoming chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, has admitted that young people know that ecstasy is "relatively" safe. Pretending any different undermines having any classification system at all, where one is much needed.

See also: Ecstasy classification under review

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewireless
Thizziswhatis
Male User Gallery

Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #8946260 - 09/17/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Too bad parts of the British government are going to override the boards decision and it'll stay at class A, but at least there will be realistic talk for now on.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Stranger
Male

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #8946269 - 09/17/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

oh no users might feel tired and need to rest after a long nights clubbing if they used ecstasy :eek:

No fucking way :crankey:

OfflineNewfound_wonder
Social Outcast
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #8946450 - 09/17/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

oh no users might feel tired and need to rest after a long nights clubbing if they used ecstasy

No fucking way :crankey:

Way.

--------------------
If it's good for fungus, it's good for us...

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: Newfound_wonder]
    #8946708 - 09/17/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ill be doing X til im 80  :xtc:

--------------------

Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: Coaster]
    #8946837 - 09/17/08 10:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Why are you planning to stop at 80?

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: gluvbox]
    #8947589 - 09/18/08 01:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Albert Hofmann stopped taking LSD at like 72...i mean might as well quit while your ahead.....get it....because he lived to be 102?...he died like exactly one week after my b-day. and on 4/21 (my b-day) Tim Leary's ashes were sent to space...and mark twain died on my b-day.....and shit

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #8947675 - 09/18/08 01:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Invisible_Woe said:
Albert Hofmann stopped taking LSD at like 72...i mean might as well quit while your ahead.....get it....because he lived to be 102?

But he didn't start taking it till he was 37.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #8948171 - 09/18/08 07:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Invisible_Woe said:
Albert Hofmann stopped taking LSD at like 72...i mean might as well quit while your ahead.....get it....because he lived to be 102?...he died like exactly one week after my b-day. and on 4/21 (my b-day) Tim Leary's ashes were sent to space...and mark twain died on my b-day.....and shit

Not true.

Albert Hoffman tripped a few years before his death.
He did NOT stop at 80 years old, No sir. :grin:
(I swore I also read somewhere one year before his death, regardless, he didn't stop at 70, he went well beyond that age)

Here I'll dig it up.....

Quote:

SECRET OF LONGEVITY EGGS NOT LSD: DISCOVERER
(Reuters)

The 100-year-old Swiss chemist who discovered the psychedelic drug LSD said on Friday the secret to his longevity was the eggs he eats for breakfast and not the mind-bending drug.

Albert Hofmann, who celebrated his centenary on Wednesday, rejected the idea that the drug had prolonged his life, despite taking his first trip in the mid-1940s and his last just three years ago.

Instead, Hofmann revealed the secret of his longevity was the two raw eggs he eats with his muesli for breakfast.

"In an egg there is everything a being needs to develop -- vitamins, minerals and hormones," he said.

Hofmann attended the first day of a weekend symposium in Basel on Friday, organized by a non-profit making group which promotes research into psychedelic drugs and wants to prompt a debate on whether LSD could have a clinical use again.

Although best known as a recreational drug, LSD was used in the United States as a psychotherapy treatment in the 1950s before it was banned by the U.S. government.

Scientists at the U.S.-based Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies are investigating new uses such as LSD's effects on so-called cluster headaches -- a painful rare condition similar to a migraine.

"It is still my problem child," Hofmann said. "But very often they turn into wonder children. I hope that it can be possible in time for LSD to find the place in society that it deserves."

At his centenary celebrations on Wednesday, Hofmann put his name to an appeal launched by the symposium's organizers to legalize the drug for clinical and scientific use, which will be lodged with authorities in Europe and the United States.

--------------------

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: gluvbox]
    #8948198 - 09/18/08 07:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

gluvbox said:
Why are you planning to stop at 80?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha- that's friggen funny!

-

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

OfflineAltecLansing
Trafalgar Square Pigeon Fiasco
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #8948587 - 09/18/08 10:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I've never rolled, but I can't help but use alcohol as the universal measuring stick against which everything illegal is contrasted. I've never done an illegal drug as bad as alcohol.

--------------------
I don't use jelly.

InvisibleBrnDubies
interloper
Male

Loc: the Green Mountains
    #8949110 - 09/18/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How can I calm down on all these wheels?? I'll calm down when I come down

--------------------
the pain of war can not exceed the woe of aftermath

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Can we calm down about Ecstasy [UK] [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8949361 - 09/18/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
Quote:

Invisible_Woe said:

Not true.

Albert Hoffman tripped a few years before his death.
He did NOT stop at 80 years old, No sir. :grin:
(I swore I also read somewhere one year before his death, regardless, he didn't stop at 70, he went well beyond that age)

Here I'll dig it up.....

Quote:

SECRET OF LONGEVITY EGGS NOT LSD: DISCOVERER
(Reuters)

The 100-year-old Swiss chemist who discovered the psychedelic drug LSD said on Friday the secret to his longevity was the eggs he eats for breakfast and not the mind-bending drug.

Albert Hofmann, who celebrated his centenary on Wednesday, rejected the idea that the drug had prolonged his life, despite taking his first trip in the mid-1940s and his last just three years ago.

Instead, Hofmann revealed the secret of his longevity was the two raw eggs he eats with his muesli for breakfast.

"In an egg there is everything a being needs to develop -- vitamins, minerals and hormones," he said.

Hofmann attended the first day of a weekend symposium in Basel on Friday, organized by a non-profit making group which promotes research into psychedelic drugs and wants to prompt a debate on whether LSD could have a clinical use again.

Although best known as a recreational drug, LSD was used in the United States as a psychotherapy treatment in the 1950s before it was banned by the U.S. government.

Scientists at the U.S.-based Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies are investigating new uses such as LSD's effects on so-called cluster headaches -- a painful rare condition similar to a migraine.

"It is still my problem child," Hofmann said. "But very often they turn into wonder children. I hope that it can be possible in time for LSD to find the place in society that it deserves."

At his centenary celebrations on Wednesday, Hofmann put his name to an appeal launched by the symposium's organizers to legalize the drug for clinical and scientific use, which will be lodged with authorities in Europe and the United States.

right on i read somewhere that he quit at 72. but i guess thats what i get for believing random shit on the interweb

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder