Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Shoulder Pain...
    #8936478 - 09/15/08 10:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry for doing this anonymously, but it's a precaution. I don't want this linked to me in anyway.

I currently work as a temporary associate at a manufacturing plant.  I'm very happy there and this is a "temp to hire" job after 4 years.  Very good pay and excellent benefits for a temporary position.  With that being said, over the past few months, I've had a growing pain in my shoulder.  It gets tired very easily and it's gotten to the point where I can't throw the baseball or football around.  This is the very definition of "chronic pain."  There is no point where I don't feel pain in it.

Now, also around my upper spine, I have a cyst.  It has been there for about 10 years, but only recently has it begun growing.  Now, I wonder, is it possible that the cyst is somehow pressing a nerve or a blood vessel that give me this pain?  Or is this a workman's comp issue?  If it is a workman's comp issue, I can't tell anyone, otherwise I'll lose my job and with it any possibility of being hired on full time.  It's happened to several people that I know.

I don't want the pain on my medical records, obviously.  Any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Shoulder Pain... [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #8936581 - 09/15/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

get a college education so you dont have to put up with shit like this and you can get benefits and boss people around.

take advil and try to see a private practitioner unaffiliated with your company and wait until you get hired full time if it's nothing too serious before bringing it up.

if they are going to fire you, i can see this could be a great time to make sure you have some leverage on the company so they absolutely cant fire you.

you probably should have taken care of the cyst earlier but that doesn't help you now.

good luck buddy.

Anonymous #1

Re: Shoulder Pain... [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8936634 - 09/15/08 10:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I do have a college degree.  It's something I'm proud of but I hate the line of work.  I like manual labor.  I'm just curious...if I go in and have the cyst remove, should I tell them about the shoulder pain and just "see what happens?"

Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

#8936668 - 09/15/08 10:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

dude a random person on the internet probably isn't the best person to ask this as i dont know the entire situation.

you should do what's just and moral and best for your family and karma will reward you.  everything will be alright.

i'd say you got a pretty good idea there.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #8937029 - 09/15/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

IDK, it could be a radiculopathy from the cyst - do you know what disc level this cyst is at? find out then check the dermatome chart. If this cyst was pressing on an exiting nerve root and affecting your shoulder, the cyst would have to be located in the mid to upper cervical spine. maybe get an mri?

But, if your main problem is lifting your arm over your head, it could be a torn rotator cuff, or an impingement syndrome.

you should go to a dr and find out whether its this cyst or a musculoskeletal condition. you dont have to tell your employer or file for work comp, even if its a work related injury, and your current employer has no right to look into your medical history.

I dont think that ignoring the condition is going to help you in the long run.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Anonymous #1

Re: Shoulder Pain... [Re: MrBump]
    #8937101 - 09/16/08 12:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

mm...therein lies the quandary.  Yes, it's right where the C4 and C5 connect.  It was the size of a BB, now it's the size of a large marble, just shy of a golf ball.  As it has gotten larger, the pain has become more intense.  I really don't notice the pain as far as overhead work, just with working at shoulder height. Sometimes the pain starts at the neck and radiates down, other times it's the shoulder joint itself.  Sometimes it's the tendon around the shoulder blade. But pretty much there is pain at all times, just the intensity/location vary.

Quote:

thecornking said:

even if its a work related injury, and your current employer has no right to look into your medical history.

Yes, actually they do.  I had to sign a medical release, and must continue to do so on a yearly basis.  So, I'm pretty much fucked coming or going I think.

But thanks for your response!  To both of you, really.  I might just go and have it removed without telling them about the pain in my shoulder.  Any danger with doing this?

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #8940102 - 09/16/08 05:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
mm...therein lies the quandary.  Yes, it's right where the C4 and C5 connect.  It was the size of a BB, now it's the size of a large marble, just shy of a golf ball.  As it has gotten larger, the pain has become more intense.  I really don't notice the pain as far as overhead work, just with working at shoulder height. Sometimes the pain starts at the neck and radiates down, other times it's the shoulder joint itself.  Sometimes it's the tendon around the shoulder blade. But pretty much there is pain at all times, just the intensity/location vary.

Quote:

thecornking said:

even if its a work related injury, and your current employer has no right to look into your medical history.

Yes, actually they do.  I had to sign a medical release, and must continue to do so on a yearly basis.  So, I'm pretty much fucked coming or going I think.

But thanks for your response!  To both of you, really.  I might just go and have it removed without telling them about the pain in my shoulder.  Any danger with doing this?

well, that's fucked up. I have never had a job where the employer asked me to sign a medical release on a yearly basis. I guess if youre worried that your employer will catch you telling the dr that your pain/injury is work related, just tell the dr that you injured it playing a sport, or some non-work related incident.

Honestly though, I really doubt your employer would preemptively request and review your med records for no reason. They probably have you sign the release so that they can jump on the defense of any work comp claim you may file against them. But, you know your employer better than I.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom