Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJcHunta42
Nature hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: Cobb, GA
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: Jeffedelic]
    #8939781 - 09/16/08 04:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: absolutely beautiful. Good find man!

--------------------
" Happiness is the highest good, being a realization and perfect practice of virtue, which some can attain, while others have little or none of it..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesprout70
Loving, Learning, and Growing
 User Gallery

Loc: NWGA
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: SEmushroomHunter]
    #8940270 - 09/16/08 06:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::eek:
Quick, gather the hemp stalks!
Beautiful specimens. You have a gentle touch, and a knack for mushrooms. On my way to see Bob Dylan perform at Clemson last Sept. 23, i stopped at a rest area on lake Hartwel and thought about weilii, and actullay looked for them, and thought to myself," I was wishful thinking they could be here."

congrats and praises :thanx:  :royalrainbow:
Be Well.

--------------------
Ain't talkin', just walkin'Through the world mysterious and vague
Heart burnin', still yearnin' Walkin' through the cities of the plague. Well, the whole world is filled with speculation
The whole wide world which people say is round They will tear your mind away from contemplation They will jump on your misfortune when you're down Ain't talkin', just walkin'
Eatin' hog eyed grease in a hog eyed town. Heart burnin', still yearnin' Some day you'll be glad to have me around. B.Dylan

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: SEmushroomHunter]
    #8941236 - 09/16/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SEmushroomHunter said:

to answer your question weiliiiiiii, about why i don't think they resemble weilii:  probably just inexperience.  seeing the variation in your finds astonishes me.  with these that i found, the caps are very silvery-blue even in the early stages of growth and undisturbed.  i haven't really seen that it the other weilii photos.

this is the answer ....
your picture...

but you did not know i know where your patch is a took a few pictures to the side

i  bet you didn`t see this ones..

:tongue:

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: cactu]
    #8941284 - 09/16/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

Looks like you cleaned up the pine needles before you took the photo.  :tongue2:

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8941361 - 09/16/08 09:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This one started out dark chestnut brown but as it faded it turned a silver blue, you can start to see this in the pic.

I see patches like that all the time, with the pins and mature specimens that color.

Offlinevdlsar
Stranger
    #8941885 - 09/16/08 11:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure the mushroom totally cares about some artificial political boundary.

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8941893 - 09/16/08 11:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Here are a couple pics from a woodland patch similar to yours SEmushroomHunter. These weilii have very little silverish blue to them. You should scour that area good there are probably more weilii around for sure, and dont forget to take more pics :grin:

OfflineWeilii Nelson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: vdlsar]
    #8941940 - 09/16/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

vdlsar said:
I'm sure the mushroom totally cares about some artificial political boundary.

well said :thumbup:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8941943 - 09/16/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That was never the issue.  The point was, and is, about a new location.  Mushrooms don't care about names either but we need to call them something in order to talk about them just like we need as much information as possible in order to find them.  A new state is a new location. We care about it because it helps us learn more about the mushroom and enables us to find it.

--------------------

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #8941948 - 09/16/08 11:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

uarewotueat said:
best n00b id request EVER !

win :awesome:

thats what i was gonna say !!!!!!! and  nice shots keep up the great work

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: inski]
    #8941968 - 09/16/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Psilocybe weilii.
Beautiful finds:cool:
By the way I love that gill shot, one of the best I've seen of this species!
inski...

agreed  very nice shot!!:yourock:

Offlinevdlsar
Stranger
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8942019 - 09/17/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
That was never the issue.  The point was, and is, about a new location.  Mushrooms don't care about names either but we need to call them something in order to talk about them just like we need as much information as possible in order to find them.  A new state is a new location. We care about it because it helps us learn more about the mushroom and enables us to find it.

Of course. Mapping occurrences is valuable of course, I was responding more to the "smilies" indicating some level of surprise or even awe that the mushroom was found outside Georgia. We're still talking about the American Southeast. It's definitely something new, but depending on the exact proximity to, say, the type collection site, it's probably nothing to jump up and down about.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8942020 - 09/17/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I just had to nominate the gill shot for POTM, I've always loved the look of this species!
I would jump up and down regardless:hehehe:
inski:grin:

--------------------

Edited by inski (09/17/08 12:46 AM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8943089 - 09/17/08 07:32 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

vdlsar said:
Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:

Of course. Mapping occurrences is valuable of course, I was responding more to the "smilies" indicating some level of surprise or even awe that the mushroom was found outside Georgia. We're still talking about the American Southeast. It's definitely something new, but depending on the exact proximity to, say, the type collection site, it's probably nothing to jump up and down about.

That probably depends on how excitable a person is or how long it has only been reported from one area.  For some strange reason this mushroom generates a lot of excitement.  :shrug:

In areas where there aren't many actives, finding one, let alone a "popular" mushroom like this one, can be very exciting.  Especially given the fact it has only been reported from a few counties in Georgia since 1995.  For those that are mathematically challenged, that is 13 years.  The significance always depends on the meaning given to it, as it does in all things.  This also explains the increased excitement of finding what you are specifically looking for instead of something general.  Koraks mentioned  recently that merely finding a mushroom might not be considered mushroom hunting at all.  When you hunt, you don't go about willy-nilly blasting the first animal you see without a plan or a specific game in mind.  You hunt for something specific.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #8944645 - 09/17/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

sorry for the delay in my response, but i have a very unreliable internet connection these days.

from what i can see, those certainly look closest to P. weilii on a basis of overt macro-morphologic appearance. without a complete examination, including cellular morphology, there's no way to be certain of anything other than that it is a blueing mushroom, seemingly within the Strophariaceae>> Psilocybian subgrouping.

beyond that we can be sure of what it is not.

for my money, i would stake my reputation that it is an active Psilocybe, probably P. weilii, and that's as far as i'd feel much need to take it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: canid]
    #8945128 - 09/17/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'd say that weilii, or specifically that species in SC is more close to collybia then stropharia.

Offlinefishfarmin
Predator Hunter
Male User Gallery

#8949161 - 09/18/08 12:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

bump just cause its so nice:mushroom2:

--------------------
"Government exist to protect us from each other.Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."    Ronald Reagan

"It is error alone which needs the support of government.Truth can stand by itself."Thomas Jefferson

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #8949251 - 09/18/08 12:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
Finally glad someone found a weilii outside GA, I knew they could be found only if people looked and they did and now myths have been broken. Great fucking finds.

Not sure if you remember him, but a few years back Moe Howard claimed to have found some weilii in Chattanooga, TN.

I also read something about how the OP thought the silvery blue color didn't happen with weilii. It does happen, pretty often too. Usually as the mushrooms start to dry out they get the silvery blue appearance.

Here's a pic that LizardKing took:

You can see a few in these pictures I took:

Offlinefishfarmin
Predator Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Silvery-blue cap, bruising blue, purplish print, SE usa. [Re: Gumby]
    #8969434 - 09/22/08 06:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

bump

--------------------
"Government exist to protect us from each other.Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."    Ronald Reagan

"It is error alone which needs the support of government.Truth can stand by itself."Thomas Jefferson

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."Abraham Lincoln

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #9024586 - 10/03/08 04:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Working on this sample now and will post images soon.  I can't find any Pleurocystidia on this sample which are supposed to be common in weilii.  It is definately in the Cordisporae section and related to weilii but so far seems distinctly different, perhaps closer to P. caerulescens.  I'll know more after measuring the structures.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract