Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System
    #890593 - 09/18/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have had an awesome lack of contamination this summer. I think it is due to not running the furnace. I believe my furnace spreads unwanted contamination.

What I would like to do is to install filters at any intakes and vents for my furnace. I am curious to know if anyone else has tried this, and if so what materials they used. If you have any ideas please post them. I plan on placing two filters at the intake for my furnace but am more concerned about the vents located in each room. These vents are the rectangular type that are recessed into the flooring. Their dimensions are 32 cm x 11 cm (12 in x 4.5 in).

If the method suggested is cheap enough and viable I think many Shroomery members may benefit from installing some extra filters into their heating systems.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: Joshua]
    #890645 - 09/18/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have to agree with you, the heater can be a huge source of airborne contams.  Especially considering that all the air that it is bellowing throughout the house originated in the basement or wherever the furnace may be. 

So in addition, it might be of benefit to run a hepa in the room that the furnace is in, thus filtering the air somewhat before it even gets drawn into the furnace.  This might allow you to avoid the issue of possibly blocking the furnace's airflow with multiple filters over the various vents.    This could be irrelevent if the vents and ducts themselves haven't been cleaned in awhile.

The way I dealt with the problem is a little embarrasing. . .I propped a book against the heater vent, somewhat stifling the jet of warm air that would otherwise shoot into my inoculating room.  It wasn't airtight or anything, but with a timer hooked up to my Holmes hepa [3X day, half hour each] things were in good working order.

Best of luck with it, the cold season is coming soon :tongue:

Edited by Suntzu (09/18/02 08:01 AM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: Suntzu]
    #890692 - 09/18/02 08:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have a huge HEPA filter that I will be running in the one room that I do my work in. The intake for my furnace is located centrally in the house, so running a HEPA near it would require filtering the whole house. I am headed to the hardware store right now to buy the intake filters, perhaps they will have something ideal for the vents.

I'll see you soon!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #890732 - 09/18/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Check you PM. 6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinecrass_uk
trippitaka
Loc: England
Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: SixTango]
    #890774 - 09/18/02 09:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Why dont you get a gas fired combi boiler, that heats water, and have radiators whith hot cirrculating water pummped through them thats what we all have over hear much cleaner and i bet quieter. why dont you have a surf for uk central heating systems you could have one installed over heer with 8 radiators for ?800 . you never know they just might take off where you are ,could be big bucks in it for you.

--------------------
come on baby light my fire.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: crass_uk]
    #890801 - 09/18/02 09:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That's a bit more work and money than I had planned, but thanks for the idea.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
    #891377 - 09/18/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Josh..Hey bro this is what I did...First tape all potential air leaks in the system.. second installled a .05 micron hepa filter in the furnace filter spot instead of them cheap fiberglass ones that would let a train slip by..third I spent 250.00 on a duct zone ozone producer....Instead of wireing it so it only kicks on when the furnace does or running the fan all the time(which would be good but expensive).. I let the ozone levels build in the ductwork for hours on end then just turn it on/off to cycle the high levels of sterile air in the ducts to clear them and bring more air to be sanitized.....Under normal conditions you would never get high enough ozone to kill anything but eliminate odors...Its safe because the high levels that are shot into the house diminsh rapidly..........Not a contam since....knock on wood...

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: BlueJay]
    #891544 - 09/18/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I will keep your idea in mind. For now, I plan on installing some cut-to-fit filter material at each vent.

Someday I will have a clean room, with a pressure locked entry that will bombard me with all kinds of microbe killing products...like in the sci fi show labs. Everything inside the lab will be stainless steel...

Oops...I am day dreaming again :cool:

Joshua 

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating Sy [Re: Joshua]
    #892023 - 09/18/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah that would be nice... 
  what I found to be helpful was to replace the furnace filter that came with my house with a 3M Ultra- allergen filter.  They are only $15 US and do a relatively good job with dust and a good chunk of the allergens.  You can also wash the coarse pre-filter to extend the overall filter lifespan.  Also another easy way to "clean the pipes"  is to get a vacuum and take off all vent covers and vacuum out the gunk inside of your cold air returns/intakes and then run your furnace for about 10-15 minutes, after which you replace the old filter with a new one.
  Or you build a flowhood....  :smile:
good luck
    pax vobiscum

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#892050 - 09/18/02 07:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

dosn't your duct system have a filter? most do. if not, go to home depot and install one. 3m are usually good.

--------------------

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

#892456 - 09/19/02 01:50 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

josh they sell what you're looking for at homo depot. it's like rectangular poly fabric that goes in the register cover. just double up and they work aight ... obviously it aint no hepa but better than nothing

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Offlinesomacraft
amateur
Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: Suntzu]
    #892538 - 09/19/02 04:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Most furnaces have both an intake and outflow vent in each room, thus the air that gets heated usually doesn't come from the same room as the furnace, but from the various rooms it is supplying with heat. So a hepa in the furnace room would not really help so much.

Companies which specialize in carpet cleaning often do duct cleaning as well, and this time of year, are running specials for it. One local company will do a whole house steam cleaning of all carpets (up to a cerain maximum square footage, which is about twice the size of my medium sized house) and thorough air duct cleaning for about $150 combined. Either service is usually priced at that amount individually.

This might seem like a lot, but I try to have it done every other year at least. Yes, you can vaccuum your vents yourself, but the things they bring up out of those vents is astounding. (To convince you how badly you needed the service, they often show you the mess they found.) No one in my family has had severe allergy problems once we started doing this, and we don't get sick as often, either. I can't remember the last time I had a really bad cold, and I used to be ill all the time.

Some of these companies are little more than quick buck scams. If you decide to have this work done in your house, I advise getting a referral from a friend or neighbor for a reputable local company. Get them to explain why you should pay them instead of just doing it yourself. The first time I had my ducts clean, I picked a company out of the yellow pages, based on an advertised low price, and I got burned. I could have done a better job with my dust buster than was done by the couple of recent high school dropouts they sent.

InvisibleMilletV
--intransition--

Loc: Rockies
    #892598 - 09/19/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Seal the vent that goes into your work room, run that hepa on high before working or opening anything that contains live material.

I use a space heater with thermastat to maintain the temp I want, no furnace air enters my rooms.

Good Luck!!

Millet

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: Millet]
    #892783 - 09/19/02 06:33 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I am considering that option as well. I may combine your idea w/ filters on all of the registers in the other rooms.

The only drawback is the high wattage my heater consumes, I don't know how efficient an electric elemental heater is. I am all about efficiency, I hate to see $100 heating bills. I will be winterising my house this year in an attempt to reduce my heating expenses.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: somacraft]
    #892790 - 09/19/02 06:39 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

How invasive is the proceedure for cleaning the ducts? Will I need to hide my goods? Do I remove the furniture in each room for the steam cleaning? I like your idea well, its a bit spendy, but affordable and would get to the root of the problem.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #892928 - 09/19/02 08:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

just a note, joshua: i believe decreased contam rate in the summer is due not (only) to the heat being turned off, but in general by the naturally lower content of mold spores &other cont agents in the summer. in any event, what you're planning can only be good for cultivation! all the best on your effort

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: comario2]
    #892963 - 09/19/02 08:29 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Absolutely!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
Re: Any Ideas on How to Filter My House Heating System [Re: comario2]
    #893197 - 09/19/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Actually there are more mold spores in the air in the summer..Think about how hot and wet it is outside most of the summer....Josh be careful with putting to much filter material on each vent...If you diminsh air flow out of the vent heat will build in the system mainly heat wont be wicked away from the plentium(sp?) and it will crack...REsulting in a 800 experiment(new furnace)..........Careful man

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #893443 - 09/19/02 11:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Consumers Union tested a variety of filters recently, if I remember correctly the 3m's were among the best..
The best tested was, no surprise, an electrostatic collection grid based filter, which requires a retrofit to install.

I have said it before when it was brought up before, O3 is very dangerous and should never be used in habitable areas. There is not a single product which has been FDA apprived for use in habitable areas.
Single room electrostatic filters are also quite effective at reducing contamination.. (NOT the sharper image bullshit).
enjoy your day

__ forgot to mention duct cleaning.. take a look inside sometime.. its NASTY..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Edited by DinoMyc (09/19/02 11:22 AM)

Offlinesomacraft
amateur
    #893478 - 09/19/02 11:40 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well, people do have to come into your house, so yeah, you want to put everything away that you don't want them to see. They won't need to go into closets, if you ask them not to.

How much furniture you move depends entirely on how much of your house you want done and how thorough you want the job to be. Since I only get this done once every year or two, I usually schedule it for a day when I can have all the furnature moved to non-carpeted areas... with the exception of book cases and my fish aquariums, which both require a few hours of effort if I intend to move them for any reason.

The decrease in airborne pathogens is really noticable, especially if you maintain it with basic good housekeeping.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale