Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT]
    #8923136 - 09/13/08 11:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup
September 12, 2008  - ksl.com

A Granite High School student was taken to the hospital today after she overdosed on cough syrup.

It comes a day after four students overdosed on prescription pills at Matheson Junior High School in Magna.

Granite School District spokesman Randy Ripplinger says today the girl was at a Sconecutter restaurant near Granite High at 654 E. 3300 South when someone noticed her.

An officer from the high school responded and took the girl back to the school. He then called emergency crews, and the girl was taken to the hospital. Granite High is located at 3305 S. 500 East.

The district is concerned, but it's emphasizing this is not an epidemic. "If you look at a statewide average, we are not the highest in the number of incidents of students using drugs in the state, but we're very concerned about the numbers we do have," Ripplinger said.

"When we're in school 180 days a year, you can guarantee that every day almost there's somebody violating drug policies and crimes somewhere in our system. Now you spread that statewide, you look at districts that are smaller, larger than us, you'll find even more incidents," he said.

School officials say drug incidents like this are not uncommon. In fact, statistics show during the 2006-2007 school year, there were 195 drug-related incidents in the Granite School District.

Ripplinger said parents need to take an active role and talk to their kids about drugs. "I'm not going to lay the blame at the schools nor at the parents, but we share the responsibility with parents to train these kids."

He added, "This is a societal problem that is just absolutely huge. We plead for community support on this issue. We have many community councils in our school district that work with us on this, but the homes of the families have got to get involved and realize that they can't wait until the kids are teenagers to start talking to their kids about drugs."

This comes a day after four students at Matheson Junior High overdosed on Tramadol, a pain medication. All four girls were taken to the hospital. In both yesterday's and today's overdoses, the girls were OK.

Salt Lake County Sheriff's deputies say the pills came from one of the girl's homes. All four students could face enhanced charges for having them in a drug-free zone.

Deputy Levi Hughes with the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office said, "This is something we're taking pretty seriously because we're seeing such a rise in prescription medication abuse in Utah, especially among teenagers."

Years ago, teens abused alcohol and marijuana, but now the drugs of choice are prescription painkillers and over-the-counter cold and cough medicine. What officials are seeing at teen treatment centers is kids popping, swapping and selling legal drugs in significant numbers.

Derek Davis, with valley Mental Health, said, "Kids are taking them in such large quantities, they're taking 20 to 30 tablets at a time, which is really dangerous."

His advice for parents is to keep open lines of communication and keep better tabs on medication in the house.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: veggie]
    #8923373 - 09/13/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

fuck now they are gonna make that a behind the counter identification required product.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #8923395 - 09/13/08 12:19 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

and keep better tabs on medication

:rofl2:

--------------------

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8923406 - 09/13/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

little hard bastards!!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#8923712 - 09/13/08 01:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like she drank an 8oz bottle when she should have been drinking the 4oz.

OfflineThe Cake Guy
Bad Ass
 User Gallery

Loc: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE...
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8923787 - 09/13/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

They act like this is a new thing haha.  This was happening when I was going to school years ago.  Utah can be pretty boring some times and the young ones are just trying to find something fun to do.  Its just to bad it has to be something thats going to kill them or get them locked up.

--------------------

Offlinewortiesbo
Male

Loc: new vegas
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: pong]
    #8923868 - 09/13/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:
fuck now they are gonna make that a behind the counter identification required product.

already is where i live

--------------------

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: wortiesbo]
    #8923961 - 09/13/08 02:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thats why we go to the internet and learn how to extract DXM and from there properly dose yourself. not teaching your kids how not to use drugs but how to safley use drugs......im going to change my first name to Erowid and my middle dot and my last Org....think people will get the message?

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: Invisible_Woe]
    #8925125 - 09/13/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

His advice for parents is to keep open lines of communication and keep better tabs on medication in the house.

That's better.
Safe.

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

Offlinezoid
Stranger

Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: Irieforester]
    #8925982 - 09/13/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Now if only we legalized it... all these stupid overdoses would go away.

OfflinePreyToGod
peace.pot.microdot.
Male

Loc: truckin,,,
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: zoid]
    #8926384 - 09/13/08 11:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I hate it when jits eat acid, shroom or take DXM for the first time and when it  starts to kick in, they freak out like, "oh my fucking god! I'M TRIPPING!"  No shit!  What the hell did this girl think was gonna happen?  All they did was take her in for observation. which means they gave her some val and made her ride the trip out.  Listen to me kids, "WHEN YOU TAKE PSYCHEDELICS, YOU TRIP!"  See shit that isn't there, feeling you can't explain, explanations you can FEEL.  Its is like the dumbasses you jump out of windows and shit.  seriously?

--------------------
"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves... By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude." Huxuly
the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

just because we all see the:greenshroom:
doesn't mean we all see the same
:mushroom2:

I pushed my fingers through the earth, returned this flower to the dirt. so it could live, I walked away now. But I know... Not a day goes by when I don't feel this burn. There's a point we pass from which we can't return. I've felt the cold rain of the coming storm
None but ourselves can free our minds.”

OfflineThe Cake Guy
Bad Ass
 User Gallery

Loc: WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE...
Re: Granite High School student overdoses on cough syrup [UT] [Re: PreyToGod]
    #8928270 - 09/14/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I hate it when jits eat acid, shroom or take DXM for the first time and when it  starts to kick in, they freak out like, "oh my fucking god! I'M TRIPPING!"  No shit!  What the hell did this girl think was gonna happen?  All they did was take her in for observation. which means they gave her some val and made her ride the trip out.  Listen to me kids, "WHEN YOU TAKE PSYCHEDELICS, YOU TRIP!"  See shit that isn't there, feeling you can't explain, explanations you can FEEL.  Its is like the dumbasses you jump out of windows and shit.  seriously?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT IS THE FUNNIEST SHIT I'VE SEEN TODAY.
:rockon:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag