Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Quart jars, Tyvek squares .......
    #8922860 - 09/13/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quick question for the board, Ive never used tyvek before and Im going to give it a shot since its easily obtained from the post office envelopes.

I drilled two 1/4" holes in my quart lids, one I installed a rubber injection port to inoculate through and the other I was planning on just putting a tyvek square on the jar, put the metal lid with installed injection port on top, and screw down with the band and call it a day (covering with tinfoil during PC of course).

After digging around Im seeing some conflicting info on tyvek. So my direct question is do you think a 1/4" hole is sufficient for air exchange, or should I add maybe another 1/4" hole or so to allow for more. I only have a 1/4" drill bit so I would simply just add another hole or two to the metal lids if its needed.

Not interested in hearing about other teks, just curious if a 1/4" hole, with tyvek, is enough air exchange for quart jars.

Thanks in advance...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineborntaskate42
Mushies!!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dude where am i?
Re: Quart jars, Tyvek squares ....... [Re: OZZ]
    #8922872 - 09/13/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i use 2 layers of tyvek on my jars with a silicone injection point they grow quick as fuck theyll get enough air i usally put a bandade over the hole where i shot it up to just because there sterile and cheap and help agianst contam

--------------------
The Smurfs are little blue people who live in magic mushrooms. Think about it.

InvisibleJean-Luc Picard
I only wish i was this good!
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico, USA Flag
Re: Quart jars, Tyvek squares ....... [Re: OZZ]
    #8922892 - 09/13/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

well i did a few calcs and according to what i've learned for a quart jar lid you need 5% of the tyvek exposed to allow proper air exhange...

1 quarter inch hole is almost 3%...so 2 holes might put you over but you would be within 1% of the 5% vs. 2% off if you only had one hole...

hope this helps :grin::thumbup:

--------------------
The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you - NDT

OfflineHattori Hanzo
Are You Experienced?
Male User Gallery

Loc: South of the Mason Dixie ...
Re: Quart jars, Tyvek squares ....... [Re: Jean-Luc Picard]
    #8922916 - 09/13/08 10:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yes...1/4inch breather hole is what I use...no probs with FAE on my jars yet.

If you are patching you 1/4 hole...do you plan on permanently tacking down the tyvek over the hole? I would think you would want a way to replace it.

I do this...2 1/4 holes...one fit with an injector port (if I have any otherwise, RTV)...the other 1/4 hole, I just leave wide open...Lid goes on the jar rubber side down...cover the lid with tyvek and screw down over the tyvek...then foil while PC'ing...after noc'ing up, coffee filter rubber banded over entire lid.

hope it helps.

Hattori

--------------------
First Grow Log
GT&TX DoubleTubs
Malabars and Hawaiians

Keep your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you. --unknown

OfflineOZZ
K.I.S.S.
 User Gallery

Re: Quart jars, Tyvek squares ....... [Re: Hattori Hanzo]
    #8922968 - 09/13/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thats what I needed guys .... thanks  :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom