Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleimnotthere
day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling
    #8916147 - 09/12/08 12:36 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

it is day 18 in my spawn run.  Not sure on my ratio, didn't measure - did 3 qts colonized rye to coir/gypsum.  I do know they are 12 qt sweater boxes, so perhaps 3 qts rye to 9 quarts coir is a reasonable measurement.  My spawn should be ripping through the coir from what I understand.  It is day 18 and I checked them and I got a couple at 90%, one at like 70%, and one at like 40%.  I've seen pretty steady progress - and am having better luck than previous trys.

They are TC, i've heard these can be slow going, but my myc. is thick and healthy looking! 

Unless I've stalled, I think 3 weeks will be the total time from spawning, could be 3-4 by that time. 

I used to get premature pins, until I stopped cutting slits and actually used junk as weights in order to make a tighter seal.  I was getting to much FAE and pinned premie.

Any ideas as to why my slow colonation time.  G2g rye jars were really fast - within 10 days to full colonization.

a 1:3 ratio should be zippin thru it. 

Just looking for those with experience who may know if these times are normal, or what might be slowing my growth.  I don't think they've stalled, just slow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling [Re: imnotthere]
    #8916386 - 09/12/08 01:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I am experiencing the same problem you are right now. Your coir was probably too wet when you used it. Can you describe the water content? Was it dark and wet feeling? When you squeezed it did any water whatsoever drop out? I had a few tubs that I used too wet of coir in and they are growing incredibly slow. But then just a few days ago I spawned to properly prepared coir and it is going much faster.

--------------------

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling [Re: LightShedder] * 1
    #8917682 - 09/12/08 10:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I squeezed 1 handful at a time until virtually no water came out.  It was tedious so it is very possible I got sloppy and not all my handfuls were squeezed as hard as others.  In general I squeeze the shit out of it though.

For the first week or 2 of my spawn run the coir actually seemed dry and light colored on the surface (when checking its progress).

Now there is mucho condensation, but i beleive this is normal.  Last night when checking (thats when I estimated their percentages) I felt like there was excess water on the inside lid, causing a few drops on the mycelium - so I took each lid off and shook the excess water out.

Now if it is a water content problem... i don't know how much harder the coir can be squeezed... should you routinely shake the water off the lid?  I thought that leaving the condensation was good - no water in and none out in the closed tub.

This is how I prepare my coir:

2 bricks in a big bucket.  Then add a cup of gypsum or so.  This time I added the rest of the vermiculite that I had cause I read this can be a good mixture. 

Did 2x buckets like this - enough coir to go into 6 12qt sweater boxes.

Then I add several pots of 170-180 degree water, until the blocks are hydrated.  I stir with a plunger stick and usually add more hot water.

I add more water than it can soak up... then sit until the next day as it takes FOREVER for this too cool down.

Then one handful at a time out of the bucket, squeezing hard until almost no water comes out.  Put the rye in the tub first then add the coir, mixing by hand.

Then of course a layer of coir on top to ward off contaminants.

IS THERE ANY BETTER WAY TO PREPARE COIR?  I squeezed until my hands were tired, so if my water content is still too much - what other methods are EASIER.

Can some old hands help out here?

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling [Re: imnotthere]
    #8917784 - 09/12/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That sounds good and very similar to what I do. However I prefer to add a top layer of spawn rather than coir to ward off contaminates. The Coir has to become colonized by the spawn so anything that hits that top layer of your coir from the top (contaminates) will be there waiting to jump in when your rye is colonizing the coir. I put a thin layer of Rye on top and that recolonizes over in a day or 2 and is then very resistant to any contaminate that might be coming in form the top. It is also blocking the contaminates away from the colonizing sub below it.

Besides that, where are your containers being stored? what temperatures? are they sealed or do they have any FAE?

--------------------

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: LightShedder]
    #8917848 - 09/12/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

your methods makes since logically.  But I followed RogerRabbit's advice to always put the coir on top.  Seems to me though putting already colonized spawn on top would speed up colonization, and ward off contaminants...but then you wouldn't know when you were fully colonized - at all, you'd have no way to check.

Can RogerRabbit explain this advice in further detail?  I'd appreciate it!

I am incubating out in the open at room temperature.  It is like 74-78 cause TN is hot as shit still.  But perfect temps, the 12 qt trays generate a lot of heat on their own - I don't beleive in using an incubator.

They are not airtight sealed, but closed, cause they have to be to colonize.  Introducing FAE would put into fruit mode. 

My trays are lined with foil, pinched off at the top edges.  The lids then sit on each tub. Then tin foil around the edges.  Then I have some junk for weight on top of 2 stacks of 3 tubs.

I am getting enough GAS EXCHANGE, even though it sounds like overkill.  The foil on the edges prevent a good seal with the lid.  These 12 qt sweater boxes don't have tight lids anyways.  On previous attempts I got premature pins, so I added the weight and all is better. (reducing FAE while still allowing just enough GE.

Man I wish RogerRabbit would comment, cause most of this is his advice I've read...

Peace

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: imnotthere]
    #8919605 - 09/12/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im bumping this in hopes to get some more response. 

day 19 -

is it normal to take this long in my spawn run?

what might cause longer time?  Is overly wet substrate the only cause?

Everything smells good, and my sterile techniques are flawless, so it is not bacteria.

smell ya later

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: imnotthere]
    #8920719 - 09/12/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

mine colonize very quickly. I use TC and nothing else.
it's been a very good strain to me.

What's the temps in the room?

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: Oatman2000]
    #8920902 - 09/12/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

TC has been good for me, once I get to fruiting.

That would be room temperature, 74-78 if your nasty.

I think maybe this question is over y'alls head.  I am very discouraged with the responses here.  Am I invisible and don't know it?  Surely someone has had similar issues...

i'm getting the whiskey out dammit.

Offlinefish42
Cracker

Loc: northern hemisphere
    #8920975 - 09/12/08 09:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

sometimes my coir doesn't completely colonize on top during spawn run. see if the sides are colonized. if they are, i would case/fruit it

--------------------
Do you dare to feel responsible for every dollar you lay down
are you going to make the rich man richer
or are you going to stand your ground
You say you want a revolution
a communal evolution
to be a part of the solution
maybe I'll be seeing you around.

Edited by fish42 (09/12/08 09:20 PM)

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: fish42]
    #8921191 - 09/12/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lemme see pics

--------------------
Spawning to COIR

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: day 18 in my spawn run (rye to coir) - worried stalling - advice from RogerRabbit? [Re: Oatman2000]
    #8921284 - 09/12/08 10:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

its not much to look at, and i'm not able to take a picture now.

I can tell you it is colonized in thick parts on top, and other parts that are thin or bare showing the coir.  Like a spotted cow.

I think it is very close to colonizing.  The parts that are showing coir still... you can see the myc in the crevises....  Looks like a casing layer almost running through it.    So maybe its very close i dunno.

It seems so damn close on some of the trays.  Like a mere 1/8 inch of coir in parts just needs to finish colonizing...

AAARGHHH!  Should I just case or what?  Tommorrow is like day 20 I guess.  Most I read say 10 days - is this true or an underestimation?  Is 10-14 days the norm, and mine is just a few days behind?

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #8927768 - 09/14/08 08:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i'd case it now

--------------------
Spawning to COIR

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8927772 - 09/14/08 08:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You might have over squeezed it as well..  Might be to dry a mistake is thinking that you need to get every drop of water out of the coir and thats not true you need to gently squeeze..  You still want it to hold a decent amount of water.. :2cents:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix