Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: rye question [Re: TM]
    #892187 - 09/18/02 10:59 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Does the co2 in the jar not become too compressed causing the mycelium to be starved for space??
I have no idea if this is correct but it was a thought.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #892190 - 09/18/02 11:00 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

In reply to:

Okay, but I'd still love to know why I can't get my rye to grow mycelium in a sealed jar...

To be honest, I would think that you would see substantial growth at first, then the jars could possibly stall as stated above. I still think it would be possible to fully colonize a jar of grain with a sealed lid. I am going to have to try this. I will the next time I cook up some grain and post the results.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: rye question [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #892194 - 09/18/02 11:03 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Please, and THANK YOU!!! :smile: :grin: 

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #892506 - 09/19/02 05:26 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

um, if you take a sealed balloon of CO2 with a thermometer in it, the temperature will remain at or near the surrounding ambient temperature. CO2 itself does not cause heating, just like the glass in your car windows does not in itself cause heating. the greenhouse effect is defined by, and can't occur without, light energy. CO2 in a jar in a dark place will not cause heating. jars of mycelium heat up because the growth of mycelium produces heat, not because there is CO2 in the jar. sorry, i'm just a geek.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlinesomacraft
amateur
Re: rye question [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #892577 - 09/19/02 06:27 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

>Does the co2 in the jar not become too compressed causing the mycelium to be >starved for space??
>I have no idea if this is correct but it was a thought.

Nope. CO2 is a gas, so mycelia should not be competing with it for space. The issue is that CO2 is formed as a waste product by the oxygen-"breathing" mycelia. The CO2 is taking up space, but it is oxygen that is being depleted by this, not the mycelia's growing room.

It is basically the same thing that would happen if I put you in a jar. You could breath for a while, but you would start to suffocate if the jar did not allow some gas exchange. Spores will germinate and grow a little in a sealed jar, but once the oxygen runs low, their growth will slow and then stall.

Has anyone considered a set up that paired an oxygen producer with a mushroom? Like a system where a sealed container, possibly chambered, is filled with an appropiate substrate and fully sterilized, and then innoculated with spores and, for instance, an algae? A true closed system terrarium?

For that matter, I wonder if an sizable algae tank could be introduced into a growing set up to provide oxygen and use up waste carbon dioxide without having to bring in outside, possibly contaminated air.

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
Re: rye question [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #892663 - 09/19/02 07:35 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

In reply to:

To be honest, I would think that you would see substantial growth at first, then the jars could possibly stall as stated above. I still think it would be possible to fully colonize a jar of grain with a sealed lid. I am going to have to try this. I will the next time I cook up some grain and post the results.

im actually in the midst of trying this now. i innoculated my rye jars on friday the 13th. and yesterday the 18th most of them where well colinized. out of the 8 jars one has a bit of contam in it...so i seperated that one, and am going to wait and see what that jar does on its own. so far so good, though im not sure when the oxygen is going to run out of the jars. they where however shaken last night. i will wait and see how fast they recover, and post some results. but as far as the stalling goes...i havent noticed this yet. *knock on wood*

Anonymous

#892832 - 09/19/02 09:15 AM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Thanx for the info.  :smile: to say im using tyvek filters.  Should I incubate with a regular heating pad in styro cooler? 

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ]
    #892845 - 09/19/02 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Edited by matts (09/19/02 09:31 AM)

Offlinebadmotofinger
Stranger
    #893134 - 09/19/02 11:22 AM (19 years, 4 days ago)

my duck innoc'd rhy in quart jars. half had tyvec in place of jar lid, the others had one nail hole in lids covered by masking tape. They grew myc and progressed at exactly the same rate, although the tyvec jars seem to be slightly dryer. Do you think the tiny nailhole is large enough to accomodate gas exchange?

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: rye question [Re: Bilge]
    #893433 - 09/19/02 01:17 PM (19 years, 4 days ago)

Not only light aids the heating process, that can occur especially in the microscopic world , but the transfer of different energies (food supply) , the decompositon of enzymes other gas exchanges ammonia , nitrates etc......ambient temps , all cotribute ther part to green house effects . A balance of all is what we all commonly seek during incubation of mycelium , to much swing in either direction will spell catastrophy .
But it is not 100% accurate to say growth will be retarded , but in excess at the right times to much c02 , too much o2 can cause noticable growth restrictions .
In life and in physics (one in the same ) any time energy is released or transfered heat is generated than disipated ....... heat seeks cold  , for every action there is an equal reaction . I am sure this applies to mycology also , just in smaller scale .
Good luck to all
May the godess of mushrooms bless all yout endeavors  :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds