Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Loc: 69 w/ you
Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?)
    #8909051 - 09/10/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Researchers from Spain have found a strong and independent link between cannabis use and the onset of psychosis at a younger age. The association, they say, cannot be explained by chance, and is not related to gender or the use of other drugs. It is, however, related to the amount of cannabis used.

"The clinical importance of this finding is potentially high," Dr. Ana Gonzalez-Pinto from Santiago Apostol Hospital in Vitoria, and colleagues write in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, given that cannabis use is extremely prevalent among young people."

The researchers also report that "estimates of the attributable risk suggest that the use of cannabis accounts for about 10 percent of cases of psychosis."

The findings are based on 131 patients ages 15 to 65 years who needed inpatient care for a first psychotic episode during a 2-year period. The subjects were evaluated using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, and clinical and demographic data were also collected.

The results showed a significant gradual reduction in the age at which psychosis began that correlated with an increased dependence on cannabis. Compared with nonusers, age at onset was reduced by 7, 8.5, and 12 years among users, abusers and dependents, respectively, the researchers report.

In further analysis, the effect of cannabis on age at onset "was not explained by the use of other drugs or by gender," they also note. The finding was similar in the youngest patients, suggesting that this effect was not due to chance.

These results "point to cannabis as a dangerous drug in young people at risk of developing psychosis," Gonzalez-Pinto and colleagues conclude.

SOURCE: Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, August 2008.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSCOL06857720080910

--------------------
I'm Livin' It, distribute it
The streets are inhibited
By cut throat niggas just like me
that out there getting dividends

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: MarioTrip]
    #8909088 - 09/10/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:bs::blah::bs:

:rofl2:

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

#8909094 - 09/10/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (03/14/21 07:29 PM)

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #8909118 - 09/10/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

A lot of people laugh this off as a joke.I don't think it will create a mental illness, but I think smoking could definitely unleash a dormant mental illness.

It is a hallucinogen, and doing a hallucinogen on a daily basis might not be the best thing for your brain. A lot of people say pot is harmless because it doesn't damage your body, but they forget about the brain, which is just as important imo. I don't know about the rest of you, but pot makes me stupid as shit, and delusional.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #8909133 - 09/10/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I know some people who are bipolar / psychotic and they find that cannabis helps mitigate their symptoms. 

So did they go crazy because they smoked pot or did they smoke pot to help tone down the crazy? 

The people I know were diagnosed before they started smoking however a study like this would show a correlation between marijuana use and psychosis when in reality it is not the cause. 

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

"Correlation does not imply causation is a phrase used in the sciences and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not imply that one causes the other. Its negation, correlation proves causation, is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship."

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: aDoS]
    #8909144 - 09/10/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

aDoS said:
A lot of people laugh this off as a joke.I don't think it will create a mental illness, but I think smoking could definitely unleash a dormant mental illness.

It is a hallucinogen, and doing a hallucinogen on a daily basis might not be the best thing for your brain. A lot of people say pot is harmless because it doesn't damage your body, but they forget about the brain, which is just as important imo. I don't know about the rest of you, but pot makes me stupid as shit, and delusional.

The shroomery instigator at it again...

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #8909154 - 09/10/08 08:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I am not trolling right now...I am being serious.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
    #8909196 - 09/10/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

weed makes me crazy, its not the being high, but the more times i switch frames the crazier i get, if i get high i feel pressure to stay high when im sober i feel like getting high is almost last on my list of things to do.

i have been realizing this slowly over the past year.  i am taking steps towards quitting.  my gf has, so i think it will be nice to have her support.

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: pong]
    #8909212 - 09/10/08 08:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

btw by crazy i mean turned inside out.  by crazy imy moods change wayy tooo much

--------------------

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: pong]
    #8909229 - 09/10/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

maybe you're BP

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8909247 - 09/10/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, probably actually.

i have checked myself off on all of the internet symptom list, im just afraid to go in and get seen.  I can go months being all good then one day out of the blue, fucking become useless.  Id place the cycle at about 3 months.

interestingly enough i always get a craving to trip before stuff goes to shit

and yeah weed is a fucking wildcard

--------------------

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

#8909248 - 09/10/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (03/14/21 07:30 PM)

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #8909357 - 09/10/08 09:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe, I am not going to say you are wrong, there is something pretty fucked up in my head. But I haven't felt delusional since I quit smoking pot.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #8909410 - 09/10/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I suffer from Psychotic Depression (I.E. severe depression with psychotic features) and weed always did ease the more troubling of my symptoms, especially before I got on meds. This study is just too small to be definitive anyways.

Edited by Le_Canard (09/10/08 10:14 PM)

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: Le_Canard]
    #8909423 - 09/10/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Did they load you up on depakote for that?

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#8909474 - 09/10/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Naw, they had me on a ton of Seroquel at first, but that was just fucked up. They have me on Risperdal, Zyprexa, Xanax and Zoloft (for the depression) now and I'm pretty stable.

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

#8909530 - 09/10/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Never liked half of that shit you listed :frown:

Esp seroquel. Makes ya fat!

--------------------

OfflineSolomonTheShaman
I love to travel
Male

#8909543 - 09/10/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a tendency towards depression in my mid teens.  Almost ten years later and off all meds, I find meditation, herb, the occasional re-tuning with mushrooms, and a positive way of thinking has drastically improved my mental state.  I am, however, one of the lucky ones who didn't need the combination of meds like ToiletDuk.  I do agree, this study is too small to be super conclusive.

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mohandas Gandhi

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Cannabis linked to earlier psychosis onset (BAD NEWS?) [Re: SolomonTheShaman]
    #8909614 - 09/10/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MarioTrip said:
Never liked half of that shit you listed :frown:

Esp seroquel. Makes ya fat!

I can vouch for that. I was getting huge there for a while. I've lost a lot since, although I'm still a bit pudgy.

Solomon: Good for you! Everybody's chemistry is different, mine just happened to be super-fucked up. :frown: But, it's good you've gotten of the meds - I hope to someday as well.

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
    #8909729 - 09/10/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i've been diagnosed with everything from Bipolar to ADHD to insomnia to OCD to manic depressed.  all of the meds i have ever taken all they do is make my brain...suppressed. all my words become internal, i ralize what the world is and it makes me depressed but my brain is unable to feel things like anger, motivation, most happiness.  i can see a person getting high and have things brought up  that they dont necessarily want to think about but because they are high and have less control of their thoughts, and wont be able to get it out of their head or, what have you, and that might lead to a relapse or whatever. but personally i just dont see that happening....morel of the story if you have problems with your brain dont smoke weed, unless it helps. personally i havent taken any of my meds since i have started smoking weed. but i think it all depends on the person what they have and how bad. as for causing a mental disorder..........no i just dont see it. i can see LSD or something where your tripping so hard you have trouble comprehending who you are and why....i dont know....there full of shit i want tests and results before i belive anything like this...too many people smoke and havent freaked out its like MDMA and eating of your brain

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract