Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Hemp Straw
    #5387770 - 03/10/06 11:32 PM (18 years, 12 days ago)

Has anyone had any luck colonizing hemp straw?

I found a single post making the initial inquiry but it never reached any conclusion and the original poster does not accept PM's.

I would think that wood lovers would love it but if cubensis colonized at all it would take a long time, am I right? I've done a lot of searching for info on the nutritional value of Hurds/hemp straw vs wheat straw and have found nothing.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hemp Straw [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #5388531 - 03/11/06 08:38 AM (18 years, 12 days ago)

I don't really know how good a substrate it would make being it's more of a plant with branches and leaves compared to wheat straw which is a type of grass. Wheat straw rocks BTW!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Hemp Straw [Re: hyphae]
    #5388894 - 03/11/06 11:34 AM (18 years, 12 days ago)

I've done several grows with various hemp fibers. It's a medeocre substrate at best.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Hemp Straw [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5390465 - 03/11/06 09:38 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Thanks, that's what I thought but it's alway's nice to hear it from more experienced growers.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineSprings
Mine(d)
Male User Gallery

Loc: sky hi
    #8908418 - 09/10/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey RR, I was hoping you could furthur specify your trials with hemp fibre.

Have you tried it with any shiitake?

Im having trouble relocating a study involving culturing shiitake on different straw's. They use hemp straw and and maybe alfalfa or flax straw as the control substrate, while focusing on the normal cerial straw's, the results were that the control substrate of hemp straw was the best producer by a large margin, while also having deformed fruit bodies.

I know you have said that hemp is less than an ideal substrate, with hemps industrialization do you think there is more potential?

This is an older thread if anyone else has any more experience or thoughts please do share.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Hemp Straw [Re: Springs]
    #8908474 - 09/10/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hemp straw was the best producer by a large margin, while also having deformed fruit bodies.

That alone would be enough to turn me off to it.  Shiitake is bad enough on good substrates about making those mycelium blobs that we're starting to see in cubensis more and more these days, which are probably due to strain degradation, although that's just a hunch.

To answer your question though, I've never experimented with Shiitake on hemp.  You can use the 'search posts' feature at the top of the page to find my hemp grows, using my name in the username field, and hemp in the words box.  Just leave the other fields blank or at default.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSprings
Mine(d)
Male User Gallery

Loc: sky hi
    #8908772 - 09/10/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting about the blobs, and degradation, Im interested if you know anyone researching that subject.

As for hemp, I think its worth some testing just for its ease of cultivation and multifaceted uses/benifits.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate