Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Loc: WA
Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of pics)
    #888435 - 09/17/02 11:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, here?s my second harvest....I?ve done well as far as quantity, but how much (if any) is good? I need help identifying.....for some background, I live in the Puget Sound area of Seattle, WA. I was hunting in a particular area that?s notorious for cubensis and cyanescens....and here?s what I found:

First series of specimen: A

Then Specimen B

Specimen C

And Samples A+B+C all drying

Specimen D and then all of D drying

I?m estimating that A, B, C, and D are all the same strain, as they all grow in close proximety.....
Specimen E.....These two were found in the grass....probably the same as the others...

Specimen F....This was found growing alone on a pile of woodchips....leading me to believe it may be a different strain than the others:

And Finally, E+F Drying together:

Now as far as Data goes...

A) Located on muddy bank by stream....Gills were light yellow, bruising/fading, attached to stem....Measurements: Cap= 1-3.25 inches Stem= 1-1.5 inches...Stem colored yellowish brown, stains reddish brown, dense/solid, fibrous/fleshy...Cap colored light tan/brown, fluffy/dry (very sticky/slimey & dark reddish brown when rinsed wet...Bruises reddish brown...Sweet Smelling.

B) Same as A except in sizes

C) Same

D) Same, except bruising of the stem was more of a yellowish brown...also, the stem was filled with tiny pores, which weren?t obseved in A-C

E) These two were located in grass, seperated from A-D...1-3 inch Cap, 1-2 inch Stem...Thick/fibrous stem that stains deeper chocolate/brown when cut....Cap was similar to A-D, but thicker and darker along the side.....otherwise, similar in every way to A-D

F) This guy was growing alone on some woodchips, leading me to believe he may be different than me other guys....unfortunately the veil hadn?t torn, so I was unable to determine many things about it.....It has a2 inch stem, which means it will likely be large. The Stem was thick and fibrous, and when cut, a small "inner stem" (white and thin) was inside in the center, surrounded by a the outer fleshy yellow stem which faded to a more orangish toward the edges (from the outside the stem is a dull yellow/brown like the others). Not sure what to make of it....

Spore Prints will follow shortly...
So, does anyone have any ideas about these guys? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of pics) [Re: Shadler77]
    #888567 - 09/17/02 12:36 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

> I was hunting in a particular area that's notorious for cubensis and cyanescens

HAH! An area in Puget Sound notorius for cubensis? Good joke. They're very rarely found north of tennesse and west of Texas. Cubes aren't gonna happen there buddy.

As for the mushrooms you found. None are active... Looks like you've got a mixed collection of Lacitarius(sp), Cortinarius, and a possible Clitocybe.

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of pics) [Re: Gumby]
    #888702 - 09/17/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice man. Oh yeah...the cubensis thing...sorta a joke, see it's by a high school and tons of kids there try to sell cubensis to people...the school's often used as a deal spot.....maybe I should have said it was notorious for the reefer too....ha ha

Anonymous

#888762 - 09/17/02 01:50 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of p [Re: Shadler77]
    #889256 - 09/17/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

First of all, excellent descriptions. Most of the photos are a bit fuzzy, but there are some good ones in there, too.

Your mushrooms (except for F) resemble Lactarius, but they are not. Note the upturned cap and decurent gills, typical of Lactarius, but then you point out "Stem colored yellowish brown, stains reddish brown, dense/solid, fibrous/fleshy" which sets off alarms. Lactarius are usually not solid stemmed, and they are never fibrous. Combined with the reddish brown bruising, your specimens are Paxillus involutus, a mushroom which has caused fatal poisonings. DO NOT EAT!

Here's a mykoweb link:
http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Paxillus_involutus.html

When you get spore prints, they should come out yellowish brown, not whitish.

As far as F goes, very young/immature mushrooms can be very difficult to identify. You have a low probability of getting a spore print, so you have to identify based on underdeveloped characteristics. Try cutting it in half vertically so you can see any internal structures from the side, and let us know what you see.

Interesting specimens, and excellent descriptions.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineShadler77
Shroomin Shadley

Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of p [Re: ToxicMan]
    #889550 - 09/17/02 07:43 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much for your reply....I've seen you make many other posts....seems like you are one of the true resident experts on identifying, especially scientifically, so thanks!! Also, these mushrooms grow near a school, and people pick and eat from there all the time....would be a shame if some moron thought he was picking something for a trip, so it's nice to know their poisonous....now I can warn some folks. Also, is there anything you could get out out of them (as far as description goes) when they're dried? I'll post pictures then, and if you want, I could send you a print once I make one, or even a few specimens just so you could positively ID them in person.....also I've never done that so I thought maybe someone out there might have a few pointers. Thanks again!!!

OfflineUnity333
addict
 User Gallery

#890327 - 09/18/02 04:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yes they are Lactarious you are right grumpy dude. i have picked alot of these myself....

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of p [Re: Shadler77]
    #890473 - 09/18/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for the kind words.

There seems to be some disagreement as to whether they are Paxillus or not. So here are some things you can observe to verify for yourself whether they are Paxillus or Lactarius.

Spore print. Lactarius have spore prints from white to buff or yellowish. Paxillus have yellowish brown to brown spore prints.

Texture of flesh, especially in stem. Lactarius have crisp, brittle flesh, never fibrous. Paxillus are fibrous.

Peeling gills. The gills of Paxillus are unusual in that you can peel them similar to the way you can peel the tubes from a bolete (try it with your thumb). The gills of Lactarius will not peel if you try this.

Latex. Most Lactarius will bleed a (often milk like) liquid when the gills are cut. Paxillus will not. Unfortunately, Lactarius which are old or too dry will not bleed a latex, but if a fresh specimen bleeds latex it is Lactarius, not Paxillus. Note that to identify Lactarius accurately you need to examine the latex and note the initial color and any changes in color.

As far as sending me spore prints or specimens, if you have a strong personal need to do so, IM me and we can arrange it. You would probably do best if you were to verify what I have said against your mushroom book(s) (or internet references) and then compare it to your specimens. That way, even if I had misidentified these specimens, you would know how to tell the difference in the future. Also, assuming I'm right about what they are, you would then be able to tell people how to tell the difference for themselves. If you want to convince the people at the school near where you found them it will help a lot if it sounds like you actually know what you're talking about. If there are potentially deadly mushrooms growing there and you can help prevent somebody from eating them by educating people, then that would be a good thing.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Big harvest...good? Need ID help...(lots of p [Re: ToxicMan]
    #892239 - 09/18/02 09:28 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The mushroom in second picture is definitely Paxillus involutus. This mushroom was once considered edible, but can cause deadly immune system response if eaten several times in a short period of time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates