Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Minstrel]
    #8898240 - 09/08/08 07:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Minstrel said:
I've finally decided to put Luddite on ignore.

This crap is inexcusable.

My current theory is he has some dirt on Shroomery staff.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8898380 - 09/08/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Minstrel said:

with his new quote spamming I believe he may be the first I
put on ignore, I think it's also time red, phred and suess
have a little 'talk' with him out back, I hear he likes
fishes, maybe he wont mind so much taking a nap with them

I'm not a mod. :wink:

Believe me, if I was he wouldn't still be here.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: zorbman]
    #8898392 - 09/08/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Please detail which forum rule the opening post in this thread breaks - the rule y'all believe requires some kind of moderator action.

Is he flaming anyone here? Nope.

Has he failed to provide a link to his source? Nope.

Did he just slap up a URL or a video with no commentary of his own? Nope.

So tell me... what exactly am I supposed to do as a moderator? Lock the thread? Edit it? Move it to a different forum? Ban Luddite for breaking no forum rule?

News flash -- if you frequent this forum you will come across posts from people with whom you disagree. You will read things that strike you as idiotic. You will wonder how some of these people muster the skillset to cross a busy public thoroughfare without harm. I -- as one of the original posters to this forum -- experience these reactions on a daily basis. And I don't even have the option to put any of you geniuses on ignore.

If Luddite flames someone again, I (or Diploid or maybe even Seuss) will ban him again. If he posts off-topic stuff, I (or Diploid or maybe even Seuss) will move it to a different forum again. If he posts nothing other than a URL (or a laundry list of URLs) as the opening post of a new thread, I (or Diploid or maybe even Seuss) will lock it.

But if all he does is post stuff you disagree with or find boring or tedious or ridiculous, the stuff stays... just as all the boring or tedious or ridiculous stuff posted by some of the other odd folks who frequent this forum stays. 

If what he posts bothers you so much, feel free to use the "ignore" feature. Discuss the substance of what he posts, not how much he pisses you off. If you feel what he posts lacks the substance for discussion, here's a startling new idea -- don't post anything at all.

Man up, fa cryin' out loud.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Phred]
    #8898506 - 09/08/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Do you get homo-erotic pleasure when harassing people on the internet?

That clearly is out of line.

Edited by Redstorm (09/08/08 08:35 PM)

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
    #8898550 - 09/08/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see anyone saying he broke any rules.  I don't expect any mod to do anything.  That's the great thing about 'ignore'.  It is a satisfactory personal solution  anyone is free to exercise at their own judgment.  It doesn't infringe on anyone else, and hence needs no judgment from a separate authority.
Let's all just chill.
:tongue2:

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (09/08/08 08:35 PM)

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
    #8898826 - 09/08/08 09:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Now i feel bad, he only started that spam-o-thon because of my comment about 9/11.

But in my defense I think everyone would agree that 9/11 has been used as a political pawn (or ace) for long enough, period.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#8898956 - 09/08/08 09:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

And what's the merit of this thread?

From the rules:

Quote:

This forum is for intelligent debate, not to try to belittle someone who doesn't think like you

Starting a thread to call Obama's wife a whore is not intelligent debate.

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#8899122 - 09/08/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Geez- the guy flames on a regular basis- open your eyes. He has done it at least two times today, once in this very thread on page one. To Diploid's credit he took action on it.

If you need assistance moderating this forum there is no shame in asking for help.
People get busy with their daily lives and that is very understandable.

How many times does someone get to flame before the ever distant permaban kicks in? If they are not responding to your sanctions then ask an admin for a permaban if you have no power in that regard.

Problem solved.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Edited by zorbman (09/08/08 10:33 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: zorbman]
    #8900926 - 09/09/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

He has done nothing to deserve a perma-ban.

Of all the tens of thousands of members and past members, there are less than a handful who have really, REALLY been perma-banned. The Admins don't take that step lightly. I'm not going to look like a fool in the eyes of the Admins by requesting a permaban for someone who has done nothing more evil than - when provoked - respond in kind. There are three posters who get more shit thrown at them for their views than any others - zappaisgod, Lonestar, and Luddite. An objective review of the forum makes that abundantly clear. Do they occasionally respond in kind? Damn straight. Does Luddite flame on a regular basis? Fuck no. Some of y'all have no freaking idea what flaming really is. As just one example posting political jokes is not flaming.

Would I make the kind of posts Luddite does? Nope. But I wouldn't make the kind of posts lots of others here make, either.

If any of y'all think his stuff is just soooooo reprehensible he deserves a perma-ban, feel free to petition your favorite Admin. Good luck with that.

Just so you can all untwist your panties for a while, breathe easy in the knowledge that Luddite has been temporarily banned from the forum for his comments. Take note of the nature of the comments he made which led to this banning and avoid making them yourselves.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8900929 - 09/09/08 08:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Being a puppet is also a permaban worthy infraction.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Redstorm]
    #8900932 - 09/09/08 08:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Dude, there are hundreds of puppets posting here on a daily basis, and you as an ex-moderator know that to be the case.

The Admin team here is all about second chances. And third chances. And seventy-ninth chances.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8900963 - 09/09/08 08:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

He has done nothing to deserve a perma-ban.

I'm just addressing this. The admins have made is clear over and over that puppets are not acceptable unless it is being used for Grow Log purposes. This is even more clearcut when you take into account that his prior account(s) were banned due to puppetry. Also, puppetry has only been passed over with a blind eye when the member comes back and behaves themselves.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8901032 - 09/09/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

If any of y'all think his stuff is just soooooo reprehensible he deserves a perma-ban, feel free to petition your favorite Admin. Good luck with that.

A support ticket has been opened regarding this issue, and the admin are currently discussing it in private.  I can't speak for the other admins, but Phred fairly accurately represented my own view on the issue.  Please do not spam us with additional requests.  We are busy enough as is.  It generally takes several days for all of us to offer our opinion and come to an unanimous decision.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8901646 - 09/09/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

Minstrel said:

with his new quote spamming I believe he may be the first I
put on ignore, I think it's also time red, phred and suess
have a little 'talk' with him out back, I hear he likes
fishes, maybe he wont mind so much taking a nap with them

I'm not a mod. :wink:

Believe me, if I was he wouldn't still be here.

yeah but you're a big guy, they may need some muscle

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8901664 - 09/09/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Did he just slap up a URL or a video with no commentary of his own? Nope.

yes

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8891554/an/0/page/0

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8902759 - 09/09/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

As of yet, the Powers That Be have not decided that threads started by a post with a cut-and-paste quote with no accompanying commentary from the thread starter are to be locked if caught before discussion by respondents ensues. The deal is that only bare links and bare videos warrant insta-locking.

Did Luddite just slap a URL or a video with no commentary of his own? Nope. He cut-and-pasted commentary from a source, then provide a link back to the source (as is required by the forum rules for cut-and-pastes), and neglected to add commentary of his own.

If y'all want to whine that this is a technicality, take it up in Website Announcements and Feedback. I get paid the big bucks to enforce the rules as written.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8902982 - 09/09/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The forum rule in question is fairly new, but reads:

"Threads consisting of nothing more than a link or a video with no commentary or discussion from the threadstarter will be locked."

The purpose of the rule is to help create discussion within the forum and to help dissuade spamming of off site opinions.  However, notice that the penalty is a locked thread... it is not a permaban from the site!

I've noticed a lot of people talking about using the ignore feature.  Great!  That is what it is there for!  If you don't like the way an individual posts, you can ignore them.  However, you do not have the right to permaban somebody from the site because you disagree with their opinions.

The people whining are touching on something I find extremly offensive and that I have fraught long and hard to prevent at the Shroomery: censorship.  This isn't France or Germany where the mere mention of Nazi will land you a fine, or worse.  Although Luddite's racism is disgusting beyond belief, I will stand beside him in support of his right to state his opinion, as long as he follows the forum rules.

Regarding Phred, Diploid, and myself as moderators; none of us make a dime from this.  It is completely volunteer for all three of us.  Diploid has been less available recently because of personal issues.  I prefer to leave the moderating to the moderators and let them run their forums as they see fit.  Looking at the history of bans issued by Phred and Diploid, the rightards take the hit ten times more often than the leftards, yet I seldom hear any of the them complain.

Zappaisgod got permabanned (it was lifted) for bashing Ron Paul!  He pokes fun at it from time to time, as do I, but not once have I heard him whine about how unfair it was.

People have a right to an opinion that is different from everybody else.  People have a right to state their opinion without fear of reprisal, as long as they follow the rules.

In my opinion, this is the most difficult forum of any on our site to moderate.  When politics become involved, emotions rise, and people lose control.  Look at the number of moderators that gave up the responsibility completely after moderating this forum for a while.  Ask their opinion on the ease or difficulty of the job.

People are bitching about Luddite spamming, but I didn't see one complaint about Coaster's spamming anti-Palin / pro-Obama videos, randomly and off topic, in every single thread.  I didn't see one complaint, other than Phred, about supernovasky's spamming of every anti-Palin rumor, lie, or misdeed that graced the internet into the this forum.  Both of those were every bit as annoying as what Luddite has done, yet they were cheered for their efforts rather than demonized.  The double standard is staggering.

I've been looking for a good moderator to balance Phred for years, but I have yet to find somebody that is left leaning that is able to distance their own opinion from the duties of moderation.  If you guys have suggestions, I am all ears, but remember, it is a very difficult job.  Censorship works both ways!

:mad:

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Seuss]
    #8903280 - 09/09/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I've complained about all three cases.

Also, I don't believe either of those two have been permabanned twice in the past and came back with puppet accounts after each time.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8903310 - 09/09/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you want me to ban all the people that have been given additional chances to come back, then you are going to have a lot of people very upset at you.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Don't support Islamic Palestine [Re: Seuss]
    #8903354 - 09/09/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

People are bitching about Luddite spamming, but I didn't see one complaint about Coaster's spamming anti-Palin / pro-Obama videos, randomly and off topic, in every single thread.  I didn't see one complaint, other than Phred, about supernovasky's spamming of every anti-Palin rumor, lie, or misdeed that graced the internet into the this forum.  Both of those were every bit as annoying as what Luddite has done, yet they were cheered for their efforts rather than demonized.  The double standard is staggering.

The difference of course is that supernovasky is willing to entertain a discussion on the issue rather than just throwing a bomb and running away. The name of the forum is Political Discussion after all.

Supernovasky also tends to keep things on a civil level and doesn't routinely flame people who disagree with him by calling them "druggies" followed by a completely irrelavant Link-a-thon. Huge difference there.

I can't speak for everyone but political leanings have nothing to do with my opinion on this issue. When zappa was permabanned I wrote a very strongly-worded post opposing that decision. I will fight for the right of anyone to speak freely as long as they do so civilly and without flaming. In that particular case he offended the wrong person who was a Ron Paul supporter and I felt he was being railroaded.

POL really needs more consistent enforcement on flaming  and I would suggest a rule on trolling. Starting a thread with a copy and paste job intended only to inflame rather than inviting discussion is high trollery and detracts from the quality of this forum.

Don't just take my opinion for it - Luddite is a self-admitted troll. 

If you allow a Jerry Springer-esque or OTD environment to thrive here then you will attract that very type of people and lose those who could otherwise elevate the debate.

So thanks for listening to our thoughts and don't think for a second that some momentary criticism means the work the mods and yourself do here goes unappreciated. You guys get it right more often than not and that's a good thing!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds