Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefrankenstoen
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9048336 - 10/08/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

As an apartment dweller, I sadly don't have access to stumps or even cut logs. I am probably going to try spawning it to some douglas fir sawdust and see what happens from there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
 User Gallery

Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: frankenstoen]
    #9132033 - 10/25/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Any news on this project?

Invisiblefrankenstoen
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: Wingman4l7]
    #9132294 - 10/25/08 02:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The Laetiporus is currently colonizing two bags of plain Douglas Fir sawdust, and one supplemented bag (mixture of Aspen and Doug Fir sawdust, Aspen shavings, cracked wheat and gypsum.)

The progress is a bit slower than Shiitake started on the same day, but it's not bad. (Of course it is even slower on plain sawdust than it is on the supplemented block, as to be expected.)

I'm also trying to create some spawn with WBS but I am new to WBS so I'm still trying to get the moisture content right on that...

InvisibleInfiniteOhms
 User Gallery

#9138157 - 10/26/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If you get fruit off a conifer based bag you might want to only eat a little bit of it at first i have heard some people have a bad reaction to this mushroom grown on conifers.

I also found a nice chicken of the woods and cloned it, prints will be available from freesporeprints and i'd be happy to trade cultures with anyone who didn't get one from frankenstoen.

--------------------
My trade list ∞Ω Currently open to trades, I have lots of edible/medicinal seeds available.

Invisiblefrankenstoen
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: InfiniteOhms]
    #9138437 - 10/26/08 07:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, there's a lot of confusion about whether the strains grown on conifers cause bad reactions or not. Stamets indicated in one of his books that he thought the bad reactions people were having to Chicken of the Woods is due to bacterial toxins from undercooked mushrooms. He sells L. conifercola dowels on the fungi.com website. As with any mushroom - always try a little before a lot. I failed to completely cook a store-bought, farmed Maitake (Grifola frondosa) and spent the night on the toilet...

OfflineWingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
 User Gallery

#9156982 - 10/29/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The trick with getting WBS moisture content right is simmering and steam drying. 

Rinse it repeatedly, soak it for about 12 hours, simmer it (trying to avoid heating it too much and busting seeds) and then - and this is key - letting it *steam dry* after draining it in a strainer.  Be patient and give it plenty of time to steam and cool.  Spreading it out helps; RR recommends laying the seed out on a towel.  The soaking and simmering gives it the proper moisture content; I would *not* recommend trying to clean the seed by rinsing it after simmering, as Doc's WBS tek recommends.  This will just get the seed all wet on the outside; this moisture can collect in the bottom of the jar and cause problems.

I seem to recall RR's WBS tek also calling for adding some gypsum to the soaking WBS to prevent the seeds from sticking to each other, but I'm not sure; refer to his DVD or forum expertise to confirm this.

I wish you the best of luck on this project, and am eager to read updates whenever you can make them.  Here's hoping for success!

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: Wingman4l7]
    #9158061 - 10/30/08 05:37 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yes!  I concur!  No post-simmer rinsing!  I had water in my jars, even after draining the seed in a colander for hours.  There must be an easier way to dry grains.  Laziness may make me go exclusively to sawdust spawn, but I like WBS a lot, too.  The smaller grain size means more surface area, and the hard seed hulls make breaking the jars up easier.  The price is also right!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9158176 - 10/30/08 07:34 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

frankenstoen said:

more shots of the Laetiporus mycelium growing on rye

Reminds me of morel sclerotia

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9158503 - 10/30/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Yes!  I concur!  No post-simmer rinsing!  I had water in my jars, even after draining the seed in a colander for hours.  There must be an easier way to dry grains.  Laziness may make me go exclusively to sawdust spawn, but I like WBS a lot, too.  The smaller grain size means more surface area, and the hard seed hulls make breaking the jars up easier.  The price is also right!

Just mix in some dry sawdust or verm before PCing.

Carsten

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: Mycelio]
    #9158911 - 10/30/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I really want to grow this outdoors, but I'm worried!  It isn't a species native to my area.  Anyone know where I can find a Laetiporus cincinnatus culture?  The fruits of this species are supposed to form nice rosettes with softer tissue than standard sulphur shelf, with fewer potential GI issues in general.  They're also found in the US Gulf Coast region, but they're kind of rare.

The tip about the sawdust is a good one, too!  I'll have to try that.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9160375 - 10/30/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I looked all season for ANY Laetiporus.  No such luck.  I found a L. cincinnatus  at the base of an oak last year, but I was unable to keep it due to traveling conditions.  Sad.

I love fungal chicken.

Invisiblefrankenstoen
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: MycoAu]
    #9179074 - 11/03/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The bag on the left is plain Douglas Fir sawdust, from wood pellets. The bag on the right is a supplemented mixture. Colonization is nearly complete.

Looking down the top of the bag at the top of the supplemented block.

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9179156 - 11/03/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It's only showing a little bit of the orange coloration in those pics, but it sure does appear on agar.    Glad to see you're having success with those blocks.  If you have success in fruiting them, be sure to post it!

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9179898 - 11/03/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ive seen a mushroom that looks just like that in my back yard, quite a few actually, does it have pores or gills?

the ones in my backyard have gills and grow on what i think is dieing hickory...oddly enough it seems to like growing at the very top of this small tree

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #9179946 - 11/03/08 09:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
ive seen a mushroom that looks just like that in my back yard, quite a few actually, does it have pores or gills?

the ones in my backyard have gills and grow on what i think is dieing hickory...oddly enough it seems to like growing at the very top of this small tree

Ohhh, I smell some possibilities here.

Any chance you can snap a picture of both a top and underside of one of these?

It would be very cool if you have found a tree with them right in your backyard. Would be easy to make a culture out of it.

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: denger]
    #9179996 - 11/03/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If it has gills, you don't have a Laetiporus.  Maybe a O. olearius or O. illudens (I can't remember if they are distinct species or not)-  also possible an Armillaria or Armillariella sp.  I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those of the ones that stand out in my mind.

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9180048 - 11/03/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I forgot to mention NOT to eat that mushroom until you are absolutely sure of its identification.  BTW, the Omphalotus species are toxic and the Honey mushrooms (Armillaria/Armillariella) can cause problems if not cooked properly in addition to reports of allergic reactions.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
    #9180074 - 11/03/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MycoAu said:
also possible an Armillaria or Armillariella sp.

Thats a stretch, IMHO. All Armillaria's have stipes and gills. Chicken is a typical shelf. Have you ever seen it with anything resembling a stipe?

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9180127 - 11/03/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i actually seen these orange mushrooms towards the end of the summer, there might still be some out there id have to look, but i know they will be back next year because ive seen them before

one most distinct thing i remember about the mushroom besides the bright orange color, was the gills because they weren't striaght they were checkered, like the mushroom in the below picture

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Laetiporus cultivation [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #9180142 - 11/03/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

unless them are considered pores?  when i think pores i think reishi :shrug:  with gills i think something that can tear

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds