Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: reality theory [Re: pattern]
    #883767 - 09/14/02 08:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i dont expect anyone to believe me. just think about it. it doesn't have to have any meaning. that's an individuals interpretation that gives it meaning. just want people to think about the origin.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

Re: reality theory [Re: 1stimer]
    #884674 - 09/16/02 01:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

reality is an expression of the infinite possibilities of data, (ones and zeros, ups and downs, ons and offs, light and dark, hot and cold, expansion and contraction)

I hate do disagree (no, actually I love to), but reality does most definitely not consist of 1's and 0's. Nature doesn't care about such bullshit. Have a look at your brain... closer... look at a neuron, the basic functional unit of your mind. Watch it, it either fires or it doesn't fire, that's all it is capable of doing. Everything you perceive either arouses or inhibits, and, you guess it, that's were 1 and 0 comes from. It's a creation of your brain. A fiction, basically. Day and Night, male and female, shit and gold - your brain amasses loads of 1's and 0's to make sense of incoming data, but nature doesn't care about making sense.

Look at a yin yang:

It is easy to see the 1 and the 0 in this symbol, but without the S - like shape in the middle, none of them would exist. Reality doesn't consist of 1 and 0, but of S and & and @ and

and ?. And I'm not even mentioning the weird three symbols to the left of the yin yang. But then your brain comes along and perceives the S as 00 and the & as 01 and the @ as 10 and the ? as 11. And the

is not perceived by you at all.

Taoism is about mind and not about matter.

Damn, I'm wise.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #884688 - 09/16/02 01:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

>just think about it. it doesn't have to have any meaning

oh NOW im convinced. lol

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Re: reality theory [Re: Nomad]
    #884936 - 09/16/02 05:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"look at a neuron, the basic functional unit of your mind. Watch it, it either fires or it doesn't fire"

That's exactly my point. are you saying that humans consciously do this or is involuntary. everything in nature if you look at it in its most basic form is on off switches. There is a duality in nature is all im saying and elaborates on itself into infinite complexity.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
    #884941 - 09/16/02 05:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

im not trying to convince anyone. i just have had this theory for a while and i wanted to open it to scrutiny in an open forum.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: 1stimer]
    #884951 - 09/16/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: reality theory [Re: ]
    #885307 - 09/16/02 08:03 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i have a theory:

we are all just sprinkles on a donut,
and there are only two types of sprinkles.

mmm donut

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (09/16/02 08:27 AM)

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#887189 - 09/17/02 02:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That's exactly my point. are you saying that humans consciously do this or is involuntary. everything in nature if you look at it in its most basic form is on off switches. There is a duality in nature is all im saying and elaborates on itself into infinite complexity.

I'm arguing that the only thing in the universe operating with on and off switches is the human brain. And that, as a consequence, everywhere you look in nature you see on and off switches, because your brain is unable to process information except by switching neurons on and off. Sort of like: If you've only got a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

And introducing consciousness when we were being reductionist is seriously bad style.  :wink:

Anonymous

#887261 - 09/17/02 03:17 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'm glazed.

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
    #887271 - 09/17/02 03:29 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I theorize every individual is "equipped" with ALL the knowledge
of the universe. With this internal (eternal) equipment we posess, the
beauty of what we consider life (collective reality) is to just BE.

I feel reality is ultimately up to each individual, and is created through choices
made during that individual's physical existence. I also think most individuals who
seem to truly enjoy life, are those who are fortunate to find a reasonable
facsimile of balance on a regular basis.

Everything physical is only a temporary state of being. Sometimes the answers
we seek are revealed when the mind is most still, and the inner voices are silent

When we view humanity, we see reflections of ourselves within each individual.
The more we recognize ourselves in others, despite judgment, "reality" seems
to shift and more pieces of the puzzle of life seem to fit.

Data and theory can only create a belief system. Living and being create a "Know"
system. The daily struggle is to balance beliefs with knowledge, finding the warm
glow of a pleasant reality somewhere in between the two.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
    #888052 - 09/17/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

the human brain isn't the only thing in the universe that has on off switches. look at light waves and sound waves. ups and downs. everything is basically a vibration which is an up and a down. when you take a step there is pressure put on the earth and the earth pushes back with the same opposite force. im not saying that the universe is a computer program playing on somones computer (although a case could be made that we live in a synthetic universe). im relating this constant duality, black and white, 1s and 0s, etc... to everything in the universe. its not unique to how human perception is modulated. it is scientific fact in nature. Are you saying that physics isn't universal and it only applies to the human mind? There is this balance and the balance is always there but the complexity is ever increasing. the universe is constantly moving towards entropy yet there is still order to it. entropy does not necessarily mean chaos it just means more and more reactions and opposite reactions into increasing complexity into what to a simple mind might seem like chaos but to (if it were possible) a more complex mind could see all the forces at work and see some sort of order.

--------------------

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
    #889352 - 09/17/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

flintstones, meet the flintstones.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #889379 - 09/17/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah... I used to think that.
It sure brings back memories....

Then I realized that it's pointless to live in such a universe. Hope would be meaningless... and change would be scripted. Nah... fuck that.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: reality theory [Re: Sclorch]
    #889638 - 09/17/02 08:31 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

You used to think that about the Flintstones?

OfflineMindTrap
Disembodiedvoice
Loc: It's all in your head...
    #889742 - 09/17/02 09:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I prefer to think of life as a pattern generated by a genetic algorithm. We are cellular automata not branches of a fractal.

In my opinion it's not the 1's and 0's which are important since these are only the result of the true "meaning of life" which is, of course, that fundamental rule which governs all things from the quantum to the cosmic.

Understand that rule and all things become possible. In this respect we are not governed by a predefined destiny. We control our future by changing the inputs (making decisions.)

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: reality theory [Re: MindTrap]
    #890027 - 09/18/02 01:31 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

MindTrap ~ Well Said.

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: reality theory [Re: ]
    #890277 - 09/18/02 04:27 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Betty is totally hot!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: reality theory [Re: Swami]
    #890308 - 09/18/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

LOL! :grin:  Funny, I thought that as a child.  Later, when I grew up, I realized that she had co-dependent issues that lead to spousal abuse and that Barney was no good for her.  It's just as well.  I am a better man than Barney but women like that cannot see it. 

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#890567 - 09/18/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

im relating this constant duality, black and white, 1s and 0s, etc... to everything in the universe. its not unique to how human perception is modulated. it is scientific fact in nature. Are you saying that physics isn't universal and it only applies to the human mind?

I'd say that treating the universe as a giant mass of 1's and 0's is the kind of crude approximation which works quite well for some purposes. I think we evolved a binary brain precisely because 1's and 0's work very reliably when we have to decide if we pet the lion or scream and run away. But I don't think it's the real thing. Even now, when physics is approaching the subatomic level, it becomes increasingly hard to map our perceptions to 1's and 0's - we have to introduce "unecrtainty" and whatnot. I think there will be a point where this approch fails entirely.

But if you insist that the universe consists of 1's and 0's, it would be safe to assume that we can entirely understand the universe by means of logic. If you subscribe to that, let's take a moment to look at the miracle of existance (my favourite topic when I'm drunk).

Although Sclorch may disagree, I'm arguing that existance - the observation that some things exist and others don't - is a natural phenomena that would have to yield a scientific explanation like anything else. Now, let's assume that we have a theory for existance: an explanation for why things exist. Since this explanation would itself be existing, it follows that it would have to be the explanation for it's own existance, which is a logical fallacy (A is B because B is A - doesn't work).

In other words, I'm with Terence McKenna, who said (quoting someone else whom I forgot (but which doesn't matter because no doubt both of them are already dead)): "Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, but it is stranger than we can imagine."

Or, to borrow a metaphor: "If the universe is a donut, eat it."

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #890609 - 09/18/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No, the universe isn't made out of 1's and 0's.

Duality is not the fundamental nature of the universe - it is the fundamental nature of human thought.

But consider this: Everything in the universe can be broken down into 0's and 1's.
Also, an infinitely complex image (such as a fractal, or the universe) can be created by repeating a simple equation, which can also be expressed in binary form. All the properties of a physical object can be expressed in the binary language. It is the simplest way of storing/transmitting/processing data.

We are talking about a "reality theory" here. If our reality is limited by our binary brains, is it less "real"?

The binary/dualistic reality that is perceived by the human mind is just as valid as the "real" universe... in fact, it IS the real universe. We are seeing the universe just as we were meant to.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order