Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
The rumor mill, elections, and snopes
    #8885744 - 09/06/08 08:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I love snopes.com, a site that confirms and denies urban legends.  It is interesting some of the things you can find on there.  I decided to look up Obama and McCain to see what people are claiming, and what is real or not.

Obama has a large list of rumors, with most of them being false: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

McCain has a tiny list of rumors, with  most of them being false: http://www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/mccain.asp

I'm not sure what one can read into the above, regarding "dirty pool", if anything.

However, my favorite is for Michelle Obama: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/thesis.asp (was true)

Quote:

Access to Michelle Obama's senior thesis has been restricted until after the 2008 presidential election.

Was true, because the Obama campaign released her thesis to Politico after complaints. Reading her thesis (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html) gives some good insight into her racist views.  Living in a country where I am part of the minority, I understand how racism begets racism, and I do feel sympathy for her; however, it adds another bit to overall picture with respect to Obama and his association with various racist elements.  (His wife, his preacher, etc...)

There are a few more good ones.  You can use their search function for Joe Biden, Cindy McCain, or Sarah Palin to see what people are claiming.  I find the claims almost as interesting as the validation (true or false).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: Seuss]
    #8885868 - 09/06/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Seuss Said:
"Living in a country where I am part of the minority, I understand how racism begets racism, and I do feel sympathy for her;"

Me being the minority in my own town i hear you.

But

"As a member of the Black community I would use all of my present and future resources to benefit this community first and foremost."
Michelle Obama

Along with attending a Black Nationalist racist church for 20 years Should the potential first lady be saying shit like this?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8885889 - 09/06/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That quote is out of context.

Quote:

Earlier in my college career, there was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the Black community I was somehow obligated to this community and would utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit this community first and foremost.

Means something different now, doesn't it?

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: phi1618]
    #8885917 - 09/06/08 09:44 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

"would utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit this community first and foremost."

NO

It sounds just like the opening statement from the Racist church she attended for 20 years...

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (09/06/08 09:53 AM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8886109 - 09/06/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I see it as meaning she's going to devote her energy to the black community, which is fine. If someone said they're going to focus their efforts on children with cancer it doesn't mean they're going to strive for a country where sick kids come first.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: zouden]
    #8886120 - 09/06/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ya seriously shes gonna make it fair, more fair than it is now

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8886168 - 09/06/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

My issue is that she made this comment and then attended a church that believes the same thing.

The first lady of the United States should not say or do things like this in a  multi ethnic country like ours.

just my opinion.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: Coaster]
    #8886210 - 09/06/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

lol... fair like giving blacks more opportunity or fair like getting rid of affirmative action

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8886214 - 09/06/08 10:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

> I see it as meaning she's going to devote her energy to the black community, which is fine.

Is it?  Would the opposite be fine?  Somebody that devotes her energy to the white community?  In my mind, discrimination is discrimination, regardless of cause... there is no justification.

> If someone said they're going to focus their efforts on children with cancer

Sick children aren't generally discriminated against.  Using your example, she would focus on sick black children, rather than all sick children.  This is what I am concerned about.  I have no issue with somebody creating equality, but to focus on one group and ignore another because of skin color is, in a word, wrong.

> ya seriously shes gonna make it fair, more fair than it is now

To be fair, the first lady really doesn't have much political power beyond the ear of the president.  To be fair, you have no idea if she is "gonna make it fair" or not.  It is all speculation.

My original point was with respect to Obama and his relationships with various racist elements.  This worries me, as racism begets racism.  The country has come a long way since the days of separate, but equal, and I would hate to see us led backwards (towards hatred) rather than forwards (towards equality).  Reading Michelle Obama's thesis, I see a lot more hatred than anything else.  Listening to Obama's preacher, I hear a lot more hatred than anything else.  Why has Obama surrounded himself with these types of people if he doesn't believe as they do?

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #8886222 - 09/06/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
I see it as meaning she's going to devote her energy to the black community, which is fine. If someone said they're going to focus their efforts on children with cancer it doesn't mean they're going to strive for a country where sick kids come first.

What if McCain was to say:

Earlier in my college career, there was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the White community I was somehow obligated to this community and would utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit this community first and foremost.

How would you feel about that? I know the blacks would be all up in arms.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #8886297 - 09/06/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Why has Obama surrounded himself with these types of people if he doesn't believe as they do?

This is a very good question that deserves some examination.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #8886330 - 09/06/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

check out this super interesting piece, comparing the media on kerry to obama

--------------------

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #8886369 - 09/06/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you were black would you not be at least somewhat miffed by how the majority race treats you?  I know I would.  If you're a black man odds are some percentage of white people will think you're out to shoot them.  If you' are white you have NEVER experienced that, so judging as if it is a fair thing makes no sense.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: xFrockx]
    #8886397 - 09/06/08 11:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
If you were black would you not be at least somewhat miffed by how the majority race treats you?  I know I would.  If you're a black man odds are some percentage of white people will think you're out to shoot them.  If you' are white you have NEVER experienced that, so judging as if it is a fair thing makes no sense.

Being a Minority in a large town (San Antonio) i hear racist shit all the time. (from both sides)

I don't see many black people in my area so I'm not sure if the black man is "out to shoot me".

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: xFrockx]
    #8886429 - 09/06/08 11:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
If you're a black man odds are some percentage of white people will think you're out to shoot them.

Sure, if you're a black man wearing a do-rag, pants down to your knees, sporting gang tats, odds are some percentage of white people will think they're about to get jacked. Is this so unreasonable? The same thing could be said for a white man proposing himself in such a manner. :shrug:

If you're a black man dressing like a respectable member of the community odds are nobody is going to look at you any different than the next guy.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: Coaster]
    #8886465 - 09/06/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

> check out this super interesting piece, comparing the media on kerry to obama

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.  Please stay on topic.  If you want to talk about the similarities between Kerry and Obama, start your own thread.

> If you' are white you have NEVER experienced that, so judging as if it is a fair thing makes no sense.

Not true.  I live in a country that is approximately 76% black, 13% white, 10% hispanic, 1% asian.  I certainly know what it feels like to be a minority... somebody that is too clear to see, for example.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8886625 - 09/06/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> If you' are white you have NEVER experienced that, so judging as if it is a fair thing makes no sense.

Not true.  I live in a country that is approximately 76% black, 13% white, 10% hispanic, 1% asian.  I certainly know what it feels like to be a minority... somebody that is too clear to see, for example.

I lived for 4 years in part of atlanta that was 90% black, I
worked for a company that employed 396 black people, 3 whites
and me, the 3 whites quit in the first week... in school I was
the kids that wasnt white or black, I was almost deported twice

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The rumor mill, elections, and snopes [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8886844 - 09/06/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I lived for 4 years in part of atlanta that was 90% black, I
worked for a company that employed 396 black people, 3 whites
and me, the 3 whites quit in the first week... in school I was
the kids that wasnt white or black, I was almost deported twice

Thus, I suspect you can relate to my concerns as well, having been there yourself.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#8887021 - 09/06/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #8888038 - 09/06/08 06:57 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I see it as meaning she's going to devote her energy to the black community, which is fine.

Is it?  Would the opposite be fine?  Somebody that devotes her energy to the white community?  In my mind, discrimination is discrimination, regardless of cause... there is no justification.

It would be unusual, but not discriminatory. What I mean is someone can work to help a particular segment of the community without discriminating against the rest. It's quite common for the first lady to have a particular cause, right?

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder