Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleimnotthere
using colonized substrate to inoculate new rye jars?
    #8882400 - 09/05/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im familiar with the whole g2g thang, and not doing too many generations.  I took some second generation jars of colonized rye (second gen meaning I had g2g from original jars to get these jars), and I spawned to coir.

all is going well in my 12 qt boxes, almost fully colonized.  I am out of spores, but would like to start additional rye jars.

Has anyone ever tried to take a small piece of the mycelium from a bulk tray to inoculate jars of rye?  If some coir got into the jars would it mess up?

Also would these jars that were g2g from the coir bulk be viable to grow?  What about if I were to g2g these to some more but of course stop there...

it would be original rye jars -> g2g to new rye jars ->
spawned to coir bulk trays -> g2g piece of mycelium to new rye jars -> then maybe to one last set of new rye jars,....

hope I didnt lose everyone there... would that final set be too many generations? 

is the original jar of rye from spores considered generation 1?  Generation may not even be the right term, i dunno...

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: using colonized substrate to inoculate new rye jars? [Re: imnotthere]
    #8882452 - 09/05/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Generation is a cloning term as far as I understand. G2G isn't cloning, you still get multiple substrains put into the new jar.  Dunno about transfering colonized coir to grain, or how that would even mix well with it, i've used pieces of pf cake though...

--------------------

OfflinePan_
Pan

Loc: right here
Re: using colonized substrate to inoculate new rye jars? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8882603 - 09/05/08 02:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

"it would be original rye jars -> g2g to new rye jars ->spawned to coir bulk trays"

I would stop here or do one more g2g transfer before you spawn to bulk. If you do this you should have plenty to work with. No need to get too carried away and screw up or cause your mycelium to sinesce. You should get plenty of new spores to work with after you fruit what you have or you can put all that extra energy into isolating a good strain and keeping it viable...good luck
Pan

--------------------
"Whatever you do is evil for somebody"  -Joseph Campbell

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: using colonized substrate to inoculate new rye jars? [Re: imnotthere]
    #8882627 - 09/05/08 02:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You could also wait until you have some fruits growing and then use the actual fruit to spawn new substrate. 
Search around for the tek, I know it is here.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract