Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Urgent need of Cactus help!
    #888258 - 09/17/02 11:01 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It rained a few days back and I left my San Pedro out in the rain thinking a little rain couldn't hurt since it hadn't been watered in about a week and a half. The problem is that the humidity hasn't dropped lower than 80% in the last 5 days and the soil is still soaking... Infact there was a Lemon Lepoita growing in the soil today.
When I saw the mushroom growing from the pot I knew I was fucked if I didn't do anything, so I repotted it in some dry soil. The roots look like they have a fungus on them, and I'm not sure if its going to make it. Like I said, I repotted it in dry soil, and I'm moving it under cover incase it rains again. Is there anything else that I can do to save my cactus?

Would a lamp near the soil to help evaporate water hurt anything?

I guess if worse comes to worse and the cactus starts to rot I could take a cutting and start over... But who wants to do that?

Thanks for the help in advance,
-Gumby

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Urgent need of Cactus help! [Re: Gumby]
    #888365 - 09/17/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

A lamp would be OK, a fan would be even better. Use both if you have them. I always bring my cacti in when it rains, no matter what. Pedros especially can start to turn orange and show signs of rot in just a few hours of exposure to rain and high humidity.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #888369 - 09/17/02 11:39 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

how old is your cactus? a lamp might help, but be careful not to overdoit, the remedy might be worse than the disease!. in general, don't worry too much about it, these are not mushrooms, on the contrary they are extremely resistant plants, tolerant to a very wide range of conditions. in my experience, you can water them abundantly almost daily during the growing season. the important thing is the soil's DRAINAGE.also, the younger, the more delicate and less tolerant

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Urgent need of Cactus help! [Re: superpimp]
    #888374 - 09/17/02 11:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, I'll do both tonight. The roots were starting to look orange when I took it out of the pot... I hope I can save it.

Thanks for the fast reply SP.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Urgent need of Cactus help! [Re: comario2]
    #889036 - 09/17/02 04:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Its an old plant, it's been rooted for at least a year now and is about 3.5 feet tall. And yes, there were infact mushrooms growing from the soil =\

I've repotted it in dry soil and I've got a fan and a lamp on it. I'm going to go check the temp of the soil/cactus to maksure its not too extreme in just a few minutes.

OfflineMurple
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Earth
    #889071 - 09/17/02 04:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know what you're worried about. I leave my San Pedros out all summer, through high humidity and rainstorms. The soil sometimes stays wet for days. Never had any problems. Unless your plants are visibly rotting, I think you are over-reacting. These plants like water. When the temperature is over 80 degrees, I water mine every other day unless it rains... and water them daily when its over 95 degrees. You probably did more damage by unpotting it and disturbing the roots than the water would've done. As long as you have your cacti in unglazed clay pots with good draining soil and its not cold, you dont really need to worry about too much water. Hell, in their native environment, the ground can be soaked for WEEKS during the summer rainy season. San Pedros can survive floods. These aren't Ariocarpus.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Urgent need of Cactus help! [Re: Murple]
    #889909 - 09/18/02 12:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'm with murple on this one. I put my pedros out from mid-march through late october and never have had any root rot problems. At most if your really worried I guess repotting wouldn't hurt too much, this is a good time of year to repot anyways.

LK,

--------------------

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #890046 - 09/18/02 01:41 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Was pissing here recently, my cacti are fine. Though I was concerned.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Urgent need of Cactus help! [Re: pleezr]
    #890219 - 09/18/02 03:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

pedros can take a lot of water.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies