Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemaysrome
It is a disgusting sandwich.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Alabama, USA
First batch a failure?
    #8875836 - 09/04/08 08:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have been using the following tek to try and grow my first batch of mushrooms. http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mus02.htm

we are five days in, and 6 jars have already been contaminated and the rest are not showing results. we were as sterile as possible, aside for the following possible factors.

- We wrote numbers on the lids.

- We are unsure if the rice had preservatives or not. (the box didn't specify)

- We stored them in a batchtub (thE room isn't used often and we cleaned the tub well.)

- We then moved them after one failed to a cabinet with nothing in it,
and last night checked them to see if there was any results, and five were moldy. the rest showed no results.

so, we have a few spores left in our syringes. should we use this tek again, or does anyone have an alternative? i'm gonna be pissed if i spent $60 on this pressure cooker for nothing...

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrabmeat
Mycoholic
Male

Re: First batch a failure? [Re: maysrome]
    #8875853 - 09/04/08 08:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I've never used rice, I have heard it is weak in nutrients for mushrooms.  I'd go with rye grain, or as many on here use wild bird seed.

--------------------
Trade Prints Trade Needles

OfflineRaven0us
Soldier
Male User Gallery

Re: First batch a failure? [Re: Crabmeat]
    #8875911 - 09/04/08 09:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

from what i've learned/read you should use brown rice flower  from a health food store, ensuring its organic.

--------------------
~Raven0us

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: First batch a failure? [Re: Crabmeat]
    #8875912 - 09/04/08 09:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Crabmeat said:
I've never used rice, I have heard it is weak in nutrients for mushrooms.  I'd go with rye grain, or as many on here use wild bird seed.

Where did you hear that rice is weak in nutrients? If your talking about brown rice I heard that it actually contains a lot of nutrients, more than WBS.

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First batch a failure? [Re: phaseflux]
    #8875919 - 09/04/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

it seems that everyone is saying i should use a different pattie, but, never the less, the tek has worked for others, so regardless if what i used, i don't think the contamination and lack of results has to do with the pattie, unless it's the preservatives factor. right?

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8875935 - 09/04/08 09:17 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I just read through that guide that you posted a link of, and I think that the guide itself might be your problem. That document seems like it could be quite old. For one, it talks of making rice cakes with quart jars, but no verm mixed in? Just rice and water? You need the vermiculite to hold in moisture i would think.

And the other thing I don't like about it is how they describe just scraping the spore prints into the jar, instead of making a spore syringe. Doesn't sound too good, you could get contams that way.

Also, you should use a dry verm layer on top to keep contams from getting in.

In short, I think you should probably use one of the guides on this site instead.

Edited by phaseflux (09/04/08 09:18 AM)

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #8875940 - 09/04/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I only recently tried my first grow.
I thought I had been a little dodgy- used glass cups with foil over the top secured by rubber bands and cooked in a big pot. Made spore syringe in the kitchen without washing my hands or using a glove box.
I used rown rice that was in a glass jar in the cupboard-no idea what type it was. Just ground it up. Apparently some brown rice has preservatives so maybe thats part of the problem but you had contamination growing so :confused: Im no expert.....
So far the 3 jars I innoculted are all at aout 40% colonisation after about a week.
Maybe I was just really lucky-maybe you are just really unlucky :confused:

Try watching these. Alot easier than reading pages and pages of text!
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/ Wish Id watched these before sifting through hours of forum threads!!

I think this is the basic beginners TEK you should follow-worked for me.....  http://www.shroomery.org/8409/PF-Tek

Keep trying!!

Edited by Steve (09/04/08 09:25 AM)

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: First batch a failure? [Re: Steve]
    #8875950 - 09/04/08 09:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Steve said:
I only recently tried my first grow.
I thought I had been a little dodgy- used glass cups with foil over the top secured by rubber bands and cooked in a big pot. Made spore syringe in the kitchen without washing my hands or using a glove box.
So far the 3 jars I innoculted are all at aout 40% colonisation after about a week.
Maybe I was just really lucky-maybe you are just really unlucky :confused:

Try watching these. Alot easier than reading pages and pages of text!
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Keep trying!!

Yeah, on my first time I did some things a bit more dodgy than that, and had 0 contams through out. All 10 cakes i had ended up fine until the end of all their flushes.

OP: You might also want to make sure your spores aren't contaminated. That could also be the problem.

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8876065 - 09/04/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

god damned, i hate life.
i've invested around $130 in this project, for this to happen.

i don't think the spores are contaminated,
but how can you tell?

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8876274 - 09/04/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

=bump.

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8876872 - 09/04/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If everything you inoculate ends up being contaminated, it could be because of contaminated spores. Are you doing everything as sterile as possible? Also, be sure to check out a different guide on the site to make sure your doing things right. Read up as much as you can, and knock up some more jars.

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8876897 - 09/04/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yes, i was as sterile as possible. we were the most careful with the syringes, flaming the needle and wiping with alcohol and cotton balls, and making sure the needle did not come in contact with anything.

i'm going to use a different guide on the next one. a friend of mine told me she used the one mentioned above and it worked for her, but i say fuck that.

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#8876958 - 09/04/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also, be sure to use 1/2 pints when making cakes. If the jars too big the Brown Rice flour could take too long to colonize, thus allowing contamination. Brown rice takes awhile for the mycelium to colonize.

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8877101 - 09/04/08 01:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks man, i haven't given up on these few remaining jars yet. i'll report back on this thread with an update later.

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Loc: bass station 1
    #8877153 - 09/04/08 01:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Don't get worked up. The fun in this hobby is that you can learn from your own mistakes. Without making a mistake you will never truly realize why things are done a certain way. And when you do make mistakes you can teach yourself how to tweak what you did to make things better. Thats when pride kicks in. Once everything works out you'll go back to that time you got your first piece of ass. The excitement will put an ear to ear smile on your face.

The guide you are following is shit. No offense but you picked the wrong 1. The easier methods don't pan out in this hobby.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/pictures/mmgg01.htm

Use the link for your next knock up. Follow it precisely.

Also, unless you bleach bombed that bathroom from top to bottom, there are millions of germ spores and bacterias everywhere.
Just think of all the shit, piss puke and other funky floaters that have gone through the air and plumbing in there over the years.

Offlinemaysrome
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First batch a failure? [Re: eseare]
    #8877620 - 09/04/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks man for all the info. no offense taken as far as the guide goes, I wish it wouldn't have been recommended to me in the first place, and i would have compared it to others first.

my friend who i've teamed up with was the one who moved them in the tub, and called me to tell me afterwards. but, he did say he cleaned everything the best he could. still a slap in the face though.

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
    #8878102 - 09/04/08 05:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

maysrome said:
I have been using the following tek to try and grow my first batch of mushrooms. http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/mus02.htm

we are five days in, and 6 jars have already been contaminated and the rest are not showing results. we were as sterile as possible, aside for the following possible factors.

- We wrote numbers on the lids.

- We are unsure if the rice had preservatives or not. (the box didn't specify)

- We stored them in a batchtub (thE room isn't used often and we cleaned the tub well.)

- We then moved them after one failed to a cabinet with nothing in it,
and last night checked them to see if there was any results, and five were moldy. the rest showed no results.

so, we have a few spores left in our syringes. should we use this tek again, or does anyone have an alternative? i'm gonna be pissed if i spent $60 on this pressure cooker for nothing...

My Friend, please review the following and most of your issues should be taken care of.

pf tek part 1: http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/eddabfdc-97f8-4201-853a-1203531bb169.aspx

pf tek part 2: http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/7a69a26c-3274-462e-b2a7-0d010f2856d8.aspx

pf tek part 3: http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/4668b8fe-7c51-44cd-ac3d-1cb71528184f.aspx

pf tek part 4: http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/5ef65f4c-423c-41fe-9ae2-32e3236d6e96.aspx

For Supplies I recommend.
http://www.mycosupply.com/

For Spores I recommend.
http://www.ralphstersspores.com/
He always has a buy one free get one free deal going on.

I hope this helps and good luck in the future.

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Edited by MushHunter08 (09/04/08 05:05 PM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: First batch a failure? [Re: MushHunter08]
    #8878218 - 09/04/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

look up the pf tek on this site, drinking glass with tinfoilworks just aswell as a proper jar.     

also build yourself a glove box for inoculation procedures. some people get away without one, and some dnt, i got 90% contamn rate until i started using a glove box.

all you need is

pot or pressure cooker (sterilising)
jars

vermiculite
perlite
brown rice flour.
water
spores
container for fruiting chamber

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinefunguy_84
Muncie IN
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muncie IN Flag
Re: First batch a failure? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8878677 - 09/04/08 06:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i really don't know how people get contam. my first 12 cakes were complete success and while tripping on them one night i actually freaked a little bit and threw away 6 or 7 pint jars of Penis Envy in the trash with shitty diapers, old food, and all that. next mourning i retrieved and am getting ready to fruit them in about a week. i have never seen contam and you shouldn't either if you use a glove box and read shit on this site everyday like i do.

--------------------
Why can't we not be sober?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures