Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInTheRainySeason
Stalker

Loc: Hostile territory
Mushroom with blue blood
    #8872781 - 09/03/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Years ago I found a fairly large mushroom in some post oak woods in south texas. Cap was large, hemispheric, stem very thick, cant remember if there was a veil, gills were a dark color. I dont remember what the spores were like, at the time I didnt know to check. But the spores arent all that important in this case since it was years ago and I doubt there are many mushrooms that bleed blue juice.

Color was light, possibly tan, light but I dont think it was white. Hard to tell with all the blue.. It bruised blue but it also bled when damage. The blood was blue. Very strange. I dont remember any scent. Soil was sand with a couple inches of humus on top. Lots of woody debris. But the mushroom wasnt growing out of wood.

I apologize if Ive left out anything that was 100% necessary. Eventually Im going to try to find this mushroom again. It was the only time Id seen one. It was such a beautiful shade of blue.

Edit: cap may have been broadly convex. It was either that or hemispheric.

Edited by InTheRainySeason (09/03/08 05:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinefreeDOOM
Stranger then you
Male

Loc: New York, USA
Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: InTheRainySeason]
    #8872886 - 09/03/08 05:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:werd:

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #8873220 - 09/03/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like Lactarius indigo. That species is actually edible.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8873574 - 09/03/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Did it look anything like this?

Quote:

Color was light, possibly tan, light but I dont think it was white.

Sometimes lactarius indigo can get really light colored, and eventually a yellowish color on top with age

Edit: i would like to add that the orange one is Lactarius but it isnt Lactarius indigo, it doesnt bleed blue either so dont be confused i just liked the shot is all.

Stalker

Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: implee]
    #8873870 - 09/03/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think that's it. Amazing mushroom. Amazing that it's edible too. I'd like to make it grow in my yard somehow.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8873906 - 09/03/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well its edible but i havent found  a way to make it taste good yet.

It grows based on the root system of oaks, so unless you have oaks in your front yard it would be impossible... And even with oaks it would be hard to try to get them to grow there.. Maybe you can bring your finds to an oak tree, chop them up and scatter them all around...

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lactarius_indigo.html
--------------------
by Michael Kuo

There is no mistaking this mushroom. It is a truly beautiful, indigo blue species. Although most field guides list it as "widely distributed" and "common," I searched for 12 years before finally finding it! Oddly, since then I have no trouble finding it in a variety of places every year. I'm beginning to wonder how I could have missed a bright blue mushroom all those years.

Speaking of "bright blue," Lactarius indigo remains blue when you cook it. George Carlin (who famously declared there are no blue foods) might finally have met his culinary match. According to mycologist Tom Volk, Lactarius indigo, when cooked in omelets, results in the "green eggs" of Dr. Seuss fame. MushroomExpert.Com contributor Bob Zordani and I tried Lactarius indigo (though not in eggs); while Bob enjoyed it, I found it to be insipid. Apparently many people agree with Bob: field guides often recommend it, and it is a popular edible in Mexico, where it is sold in open-air markets.

Description:

Ecology: Mycorrhizal with hardwoods (probably only oaks) or conifers; summer and fall; fairly widely distributed in North America from the northeast to the southwestern United States and Mexico--but apparently rare or absent in the Pacific Northwest, on the West Coast, and in the northern Rocky Mountains.

Cap: 5-15 cm; convex becoming flat or vase-shaped; margin inrolled, becoming arched; with zones of color, or evenly colored; sticky or slimy; deep indigo blue when fresh, grayish or silvery when faded; frequently bruising and discoloring deep green.

Gills: Close; colored like the cap or paler; nearly yellowish at maturity; staining green.

Stem: 2-8 cm long; 1-2.5 cm thick; equal or tapering to base; sometimes eccentric; slimy at first but soon dry; hard; hollowing; often with potholes on the surface.

Flesh: Whitish but immediately indigo blue when cut; staining greenish.

Milk: Deep indigo blue; dark green on exposure.

Odor and Taste: Odor not distinctivel taste mild to (sometimes) slowly slightly acrid.
Spore Print: Cream.

Chemical Reactions: KOH on cap surface negative.

Microscopic Features: Spores 7-9 x 5.5-7.5 µ; broadly elliptical to nearly round; ornamentation with prominences 0.4-0.5 µ high.

Hesler and Smith (1979; links below) list two varieties: variety indigo (described above) and variety diminutivis. Var. diminutivis is similar to var. indigo, but has a cap 3-5 cm, stem 1.5-2.5 cm x 6-7.5 cm, flesh that is white but immediately indigo blue on exposure, then green in a few minutes, and a pure white spore print. It is recorded only from Brazoria County, Texas.
------------------

Stalker

#8874148 - 09/03/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

My yard is mostly oak. Would it be possible to get the mycelium growing in a jar of oak leaves and debris from the yard mixed up as substrate? I know it won't fruit without roots but I'm not fully understanding mycorrhizal so I don't know if you can grow the fungus indoors and just not the fruits. If I could grow the fungus I'd plant it on the roots and see if that works.

Edited by InTheRainySeason (09/03/08 10:25 PM)

OfflineHematite
Newbee
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wisconsin
    #8874493 - 09/03/08 11:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Michael Kuo is a great resource for mushroom ID, but his tastes and opinions on tastes are execrable. I wish he would realize that his expertise in the former gives him no authority on the latter. He has the gastronomic sophistication of a squeamish toddler; my nine year old son has a more developed palate.

And he's especially bad when it comes to Lactarius. One would think that "Lactarius deliciosus" would suggest to him that a fairly large number of people regard the mushroom so named as having a desirable flavor, but all Kuo has to say about it is that it "is edible, though I do not recommend it; it has a rather grainy texture and sour taste" as if simply saying that it was grainy and sour sufficed to prove that it is bad. It is grainy, which is one of the pleasing things about it and makes it worth hunting for, rather than just running down to the store for some of the A. bisporus that Kuo takes as the standard of mushroom excellence. As for being 'sour,' I can only assume that Kuo's ability to distinguish flavors is so limited that a handful of words suffice to describe its full range, and that to him rum, chocolate and apples all taste more or less the same because they all are sweet. Kuo's shows his sense of smell to be similarly poorly developed when he states "Lactarius volemus reeks, producing a dead-fish smell...." and proceeds to object to its 'sliminess.' L. volemus is one of my favorite mushrooms. I also like fish of all sorts, from fresh to fermented. There is no similarity between the smell of the mushroom and the smell of fish at any stage of decomposition. If L. volemus smells like anything it is like fresh sex. Perhaps there is something puritanical in Kuo's dislike of Lactarius.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: Hematite]
    #8874549 - 09/03/08 11:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

Tell us what you really think.

What a wonderfully written, articulate and knowledgeable piece.  Kuo is also, as some have pointed out, a bit of a mycophobe in the sense of eating them. Perhaps his caution is due to some sense of responsibility or insurance clause.  Or maybe he just doesn't like to eat many mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8874635 - 09/03/08 11:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

By fungus it think you mean mycelium... You might be able to grow the mycelium out but im not sure. Try putting Lactarius indigo spores or just a piece of the stem on some agar to see if it starts growing mycelium.

Good luck homie :laugh:

Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

Loc: Next Level
    #8874994 - 09/04/08 01:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

InTheRainySeason said:
Soil was sand with a couple inches of humus on top.

:rofl: i def read that as Hummus. i was thinking blue mushrooms are interesting but id want to know who the fuck mashed up chickpeas all over the place?

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8874995 - 09/04/08 01:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you can find any mycelium on the lactarius indigo you find you might be able to grow it out on cardboard or dried lawn clippings or something... P. cubensis mycelium will grow on wood, cardboard, dried grass, hay, poop, coconut coir, hemp twine, straight up bud, paper, bibles, bras and many other things, so Lactarius indigo might also.

good luck

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: Hematite]
    #8875999 - 09/04/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I wholly agree with your characterization of Kuo's tastes. I'm puzzled when he says of the wonderful Laetiporus sulphureus "I'm not a big fan (it's a little "fungus-y" for me)". WTF? Also, he seems to despise Suillus as much as Lactarius for eating purposes. Predictably, he's also a psychoactive mushroom hater :thumbdown:

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

Stalker

Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: N2loma]
    #8877454 - 09/04/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'll give it a try. Thanks people. What kind of mushroom is that in your picture hamandcheese? I've seen some that looked like that in my yard and in the woods.

Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

#8877723 - 09/04/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thats a beefy ass, sun bleached panaeolus subbalteatus. best find on the season by far for me.

But don't use that as a gauge to what you've got they almost never look anything like that. but pull some and make a ID request any who.

--------------------

Stalker

Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: hamandcheese]
    #8877792 - 09/04/08 04:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Pretty cool.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

#8878052 - 09/04/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Subbs only grow in lawns not woods. If you find a good way to cook/eat Lactarius indigo tell me... Everyone at shroomery that finds them is trying to figure out how to eat them in a pleasant way.

Invisiblehamandcheese
Sandwich
 User Gallery

#8878114 - 09/04/08 05:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

implee said:
Subbs only grow in lawns *and compost piles* not woods. 

fixed

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom with blue blood [Re: hamandcheese]
    #8878127 - 09/04/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hamandcheese said:
Quote:

implee said:
Subbs only grow in lawns *and compost **manure** piles* not woods. 

fixed

not just any compost pile :wink:

Double fixed :laugh: my bad thanks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale