Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemasarap
"delicious"
 User Gallery

Mold growth on bottom of perlite in FC. Help please!
    #8873133 - 09/03/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

As far as I can tell there is no growth on the top layer.  What I'm seeing is mold, still submerged under the water line, on the bottom of the perlite. I saw like a quarter-sized growth and some other specs of other growth.  Hard to tell the color of the mold.

As you can see my casing looks healthy, no mold at all.  So I'm pretty sure the contaminants have been restrained to this point. 

I wiped down my Rubbermaid with alcohol (like two times) prior to adding perlite.  After I added the perlite the water I used was about 1:10 peroxide/water. 

What should I do??? Wipe down the casing with alcohol and move to separate FC immediately?

Edited by masarap (09/03/08 08:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Mold growth on bottom of perlite in FC. Help please! [Re: masarap]
    #8873203 - 09/03/08 06:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

-Get that shit into a new FC, A.S.A.P.

-You are risking your casing and hard work. Move it asap & clean the bottom of your tray too..

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

Offlinemasarap
"delicious"
 User Gallery

Re: Mold growth on bottom of perlite in FC. Help please! [Re: HazeyRoms]
    #8873284 - 09/03/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you.  Just wanted to confirm that was the way to go  :thumbup:

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
    #8873384 - 09/03/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

no prob

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

InvisibleSlappy McCrackin
Dawg
Male User Gallery

#8873386 - 09/03/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You shouldn't have standing water in the bottom of your FC. Stagnant water is a huge invite for contams.

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mold growth on bottom of perlite in FC. Help please! [Re: Slappy McCrackin]
    #8873391 - 09/03/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like mildew

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Offlinemasarap
"delicious"
 User Gallery

Re: Mold growth on bottom of perlite in FC. Help please! [Re: Krez]
    #8873637 - 09/03/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I had moved the casing into a fresh container.  I first wiped down the container with 99% alcohol, fan dried, misted, added casing, then finally fanned again.

Sorry I didn't get a pick of the contaminate growth, I just wanted to work fast and get my casing out of there. 

As for the contaminated FC I quickly took it outside and dumped almost a half gallon of bleach in it and gave it a good shake  :wink:

Quote:

You shouldn't have standing water in the bottom of your FC. Stagnant water is a huge invite for contams. - Slappy McCrackin

Very good point.  I added too much water for sure, but maybe just a little too much.  The water line was at the very bottom layer of the perlite and the contam growth I saw was only in that depth below a good amount of perlite.  I like to think the contams stayed on the bottom and nowhere else.

I lost the advantage of perlite in my new FC but could have very well saved my casing.  My new FC is nothing more than a completely translucent container, empty.  I guess I will just mist and fan more now.  If all gos well I should harvest within the next 7 days.

Edited by masarap (09/03/08 08:54 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8874679 - 09/03/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Holes in the bottom of the FC take care of any excess water that may drain to the bottom of the perlite.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix