Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegregoryrauscher
Stranger
The smokers would pay additional taxes ....
    #8864250 - 09/02/08 03:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The smokers and the tobacco chewers residing in the district of South Carolina would pay additional taxes amounting to about $25 a month to the state health insurance. This law would come into affect from 2010. http://www.chantixhome.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: The smokers would pay additional taxes .... [Re: gregoryrauscher]
    #8864552 - 09/02/08 06:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

good. smokers need to be taxed more.  if the health effects arent enough to make you quit, then you need to pay more for the nasty habit. not only does it pollute the air inside and out for everyone, the tobacco industry ravages the land.  not to mention it makes you reek worse than rotting ass. nothing is more disgusting than smokers breath and the smell of ashtrays. well besides smokers who drink coffee too...

:projectile:

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The smokers would pay additional taxes .... [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8864644 - 09/02/08 07:38 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This raises a lot of ethical questions.  Why are they focusing on tobacco smokers?  What about drinkers?  Why don't I get a health insurance discount for going to the gym 7-8 hours per week?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: The smokers would pay additional taxes .... [Re: badchad]
    #8864767 - 09/02/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

some insurance companies actually do this.  some give discounts for being actively enrolled in fitness programs and being healthy.

and alcohol is highly taxed.  obviously not everywhere, but in many places, especially liquor is pretty steep.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/245.html

besides, you can drink responsibly, and millions do. you can drink responsibly your whole life and be in perfect health. you cannot however with cigarettes. there is no responsible smoking. youre either a smoker, or your not,  there may be a middle ground when people first start smoking, but they either end up quitting or becomming addicted.

in 2001 there were 75,766 deaths attributed to alcoholism.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5337a2.htm

between 1997-2001 an estimated 438,000 premature deaths occur each year due to tobacco.

Quote:

Smoking cost the nation about $92 billion in the form of lost productivity in 1997-2001, up about $10 billion from the annual mortality related productivity losses for the years 1995-1999, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The new lost productivity estimate when combined with smoking-related health-care costs, which was reported at $75.5 billion in 1998, exceeds $167 billion per year in the United States.

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r050630.htm

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The smokers would pay additional taxes .... [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8865189 - 09/02/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

An interesting take on the issue.

So looking at those numbers, indeed, smoking is the leading cause of death at about 400k per year.

Number 2 is "poor diet and physical inactivity" at 300k.  All of these data were from the year 2000.  With a continued decrease in smoking, I bet "poor diet and physical inactivity" is now nearly tied with smoking.

Should we tax obese people who constantly eat at McDonalds too?

I'm not saying I am against taxing smokers, but it seems like an obvious slippery slope.  Taxing activities according to relative harm.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8866741 - 09/02/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i say tax the fuck out of mcdonalds.  :lol:

i agree it is a slippery slope, and had i not been a smoker for several years, i would probably lean the other way, but even being as pro choice as i am, being an ex smoker i just cant agree with anyone smoking, i know first hand the terrible effects it has on you, not only through my own body but i see the health problems it is causing in my parents and my friends parents. i have a friend who has a dad that is working on one lung because of cigarettes and he still smokes, i guarantee you that he will be dead in a matter of a couple years, and the man is only 60 something.  its just a stupid thing to do.  there is no benefit to smoking. benefits can be had with most natural drugs when used in moderation. i just cant consciously agree with smoking, and if it takes taxing the shit out of tobacco to make people realize how terrible it is then so be it.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8866810 - 09/02/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
An interesting take on the issue.

So looking at those numbers, indeed, smoking is the leading cause of death at about 400k per year.

Number 2 is "poor diet and physical inactivity" at 300k.  All of these data were from the year 2000.  With a continued decrease in smoking, I bet "poor diet and physical inactivity" is now nearly tied with smoking.

Should we tax obese people who constantly eat at McDonalds too?

I'm not saying I am against taxing smokers, but it seems like an obvious slippery slope.  Taxing activities according to relative harm.

oh and i forgot to add, we dont need to tax the obese, they will be paying more than us in the very near future anyway, health insurance is and will be rising for overweight people. get fat, pay more taxes, lose the weight and get healthy again, get a discount.  alot of people are up in arms about it(fat people), but i completely agree with it.  why should I(a perfectly healthy and active human being) pay the same insurance rates as the obese and people that have unhealthy habits(such as smoking and alcoholism)?  its not fair to those of us who value our health and lives. because of these people with unhealthy lifestyles, MY health insurance rises. every time a fat person has the retarded stomach stapling surgery because theyre too lazy to do it the natural way, or they get diabetes, and every time a smoker comes down with empyzema, or a drunk comes down with scerosis and needs treatment and/or surgery, WE collectively pay for it.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8868486 - 09/02/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
This raises a lot of ethical questions.  Why are they focusing on tobacco smokers?  What about drinkers?  Why don't I get a health insurance discount for going to the gym 7-8 hours per week?

exactly.

This is stupid patchwork crap.  Unless they use independent means to verify health and rank your risk, this is stupid.

So someone that uses nicorette gum instead of smoking has to pay the same as someone inhaling 3 packs a day?  Stupid.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: The smokers would pay additional taxes .... [Re: johnm214]
    #8870102 - 09/03/08 04:58 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

well if nicotine wasnt linked to some types of lung cancers this wouldnt be the case.

and you can count on insurances starting to independently asses individual health for policies.  i read something in a health magazine about this being the new big thing, its going to give people incentive to be healthy, otherwise i doubt they will be able to afford health insurance wrong.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale