Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewisp

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8875527 - 09/04/08 06:43 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. Do you think it was mycelium or mould?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: wisp]
    #8875540 - 09/04/08 06:49 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, it was definitely mycelium.  I keep the temperature and the humidity level in the sporulator(s) at points that are conducive to growth.  That is why the stipe was in there.  That wasn't the first time it has happened.

I was like damn, check that out. :eek:

Ah fuck.  :rant:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8875624 - 09/04/08 07:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Were there spores on the stipe/annulus?

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #8875687 - 09/04/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

now that you know where they grow maybe in future you can find then again iam interest to see what it result to be.
and if is active .......
great find señor hongos .....

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Offlinezoid
Stranger

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: cactu]
    #8876044 - 09/04/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You might be able to try asking around your nearest University, especially considering your apparent knowledge of mycology. I'm sure if you speak with the right people, they would be more than willing to help.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: zoid]
    #8877826 - 09/04/08 04:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Trip,  I collected them off the fibrillose zone.  Check any specimen of sporulating Gymnopilus for an example, particularly spectabilis or luteus.  However, I am sure there were spores in other places on the stipe.  I could see the darkening there so I used it.  Check with the photos up above and you can see the fibrillose zone clearly.  This is the confusing part for me.  I know what kind of print a spore like that would make--dark purple/black.  See pictures of other mushrooms for examples, cubensis springs to mind as well as Hypholoma.  Yet, the print residue on the paper is yellow/brown or dirty yellow.  I have no explanation for that unless the print is actually some kind of residue other than spores.  Any speculation on this would be helpful.

cactu,  yes, by all means.  I know the exact location of the log and plan to visit it should the conditions indicate another flush.  I'm pretty focused on this now until I get an answer.  You get unidentified species down there all the time.  In our area, it is a unique event.  The last one was P. ovoideocystidiata.  So it isn't like it can't happen.  I will be sure to keep the Shroomery up on what I am learning.

zoid,  I have several professional resources at my disposal.  However, I would rather not get them involved until I have a bit more to go on.  I heard there were places that do chemical analysis testing for illicit substances.  If I could get some quantitative results as well as specific organic compounds with certain assurances, I would definitely go that route.  Bioassay is out of the question.  For one thing, the species is unknown and I'm not a Guinea pig.  One poisoning this year was enough.

--------------------

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

#8877855 - 09/04/08 04:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice find :thumbsup:

--------------------
:hanky:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8937113 - 09/16/08 12:24 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I found another specimen.

I went back to the area to check on it and note the log these were growing on.  It was Green Ash, Fraxinus pennsylvanica, a species that thrives in wet riparian habitat.

Here is the bark:

Because it is so late I'll just post the photos without a lot of comment.  But I do want to say one thing.  What color is a mushroom?  There are a lot of variables to consider when answering that question.  In the following photographs I did my best to use natural light, showing what I actually saw in the forest, and flash, which can enhance certain colors, bringing them out, or mask them as it brings out others colors.

Please look closely at the base of the stipe.  At times it appears greenish, other times bluish and other times neither.

I'm calling this mushroom a Gymalike until I can figure out what it is.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8937135 - 09/16/08 12:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So what color is it?

You tell me.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8937146 - 09/16/08 12:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You know, that one looks less like a Gymnopilus than the last one did. No scales on the cap for one and it has an unusually wavy margin if it were a Gymnopilus. That cap really does look different.

I noticed what appeared to be bluing on the base of the stipe. Did you spore print this one?

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Loc: Elsewhere.
    #8937149 - 09/16/08 12:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

...Wait, is that mushroom actually blue? If so, that is a rad mushroom. Great pics btw. Beautiful.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8937170 - 09/16/08 12:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I attempting to print it.  Hopefully I can throw some gill tissue under the mic and look for basidia.  It is possible this species doesn't have many, like Inski's.

The spore residue on the veil remnant this time had a yellowish tinge.  I am assuming the spores will reflect that when I use it for examining spores.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: misos]
    #8937181 - 09/16/08 12:42 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you mean the white mushrooms laying in the grass, no, those are meadow mushrooms I was playing with a feature called color swap on my camera.

Thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8937185 - 09/16/08 12:44 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

These low sporulation species are irritating!

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8937240 - 09/16/08 01:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but if you think about it, it probably contributes to their rarity.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8937253 - 09/16/08 01:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Undoubtedly. They seem like an evolutionary dead end.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8937289 - 09/16/08 01:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Probably why I have such a great affinity for them.  They remind me of some of my family.

:rimshot:

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #8937522 - 09/16/08 03:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hongo Hongo Hongo:snowman::derfase:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9205325 - 11/07/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Some microscopy, 1000x

Grid is 10.8 x 10.8 microns

The spores were brown or maybe dark purple brown in deposit, smooth, with a conspicuous hilar appendage and an apical germ pore.  Could be a Pholiota.

Spores and a paper fiber, brightfield illumination

The same spores and paper fiber, phase contrast illumination (which does a good job of highlighting the paper fiber and the germ pore)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9205399 - 11/08/08 12:13 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Some microscopy, 1000x

Grid is 10 x 10 microns

The spores were brown or maybe dark purple brown in deposit, smooth, with a conspicuous hilar appendage and an apical germ pore.  Could be a Pholiota.

Well, you are my hero.  :congrats:  :bow:

Interesting though:

Quote:

Check any specimen of sporulating Gymnopilus for an example, particularly spectabilis or luteus.  However, I am sure there were spores in other places on the stipe.  I could see the darkening there so I used it.  Check with the photos up above and you can see the fibrillose zone clearly.  This is the confusing part for me.  I know what kind of print a spore like that would make--dark purple/black.  See pictures of other mushrooms for examples, cubensis springs to mind as well as Hypholoma.  Yet, the print residue on the paper is yellow/brown or dirty yellow.  I have no explanation for that unless the print is actually some kind of residue other than spores.  Any speculation on this would be helpful.

Alan, are you saying the spores with the paper fiber were from a print?  If so, these are nothing like avidpicker's. I do not think these are Pholiota, but even if they were it would be a new discovery.  I know these mushrooms were active.  Pholiota spores or prints are never that color.

Excellent work.

5 shrooms.

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale