Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleOgre812
Padawan Learner
Male

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: wisp]
    #8869989 - 09/03/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I am usually pretty good about the comas.  You got me this time though.

--------------------
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither, and will lose both.      ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

"Let me tell you about a Porcupine's balls.  They're small, and they don't give a SHIT!"  ~Danny~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: implee]
    #8870312 - 09/03/08 07:00 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks imp.  This is a pretty important find for me.  Few people actually discover a new active species.  I am honored to be "chosen" for this.  Below is a better picture of the bluing evident on the cap margin.  It is light, but there is no doubt it is blue and not a "greenish tone" like you find with Gymnopilus most of the time.

You can also see how non-existent the spore print is.  That mushroom has been sitting in the Sporulator Jr since the minute I picked it--44 hours and 20 minutes ago.

And a special note of thanks goes out to all the grammar Nazis.  :rolleyes:

:lol:  j/k

Cheers,
Hongos

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8870328 - 09/03/08 07:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:nonono:

You never start sentences with the word "and"! :rofl:

Strange how light the print is. Gymnopilus species are pretty heavy sporulators in my experience.

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth Flag
Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: HazeyRoms]
    #8870330 - 09/03/08 07:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HazeyRoms said:
-I didn't see ANY blue bruising at all. Only one way to find out eat it in front of a hospital, that way if it's bad then you can still have a chance to live. Hahaha

:mushroomgrow:

Look at the 6th picture and note the bluing at the top of the picture on the stem.Its faint but you can make it out.
Great Find Hongos.
Awesome.
That must feel great to have potentially found a new active species!
gives some of the non-dung hunters some extra mushies to look for,b/c living in ky I know how hard it is to find actives.You sometimes get jealous of all the gulf coast guys always finding the goods.
Anyways,great find and I wish you all the luck in figuring out the species of this new find!
Peace
PF

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Edited by pfshroomer (09/03/08 07:20 AM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8870495 - 09/03/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

William Forrester:  Paragraph three starts with a conjunction, "and." You should never start a sentence with a conjunction.

Jamal Wallace:  Sure you can.

William: No.  It's a firm rule.

Jamal:  No.  It was a firm rule. Sometimes using a conjunction at the start of a sentence makes it stand out. And that may be what the writer's trying to do.

William:  And what is the risk?

Jamal:  Doing it too much.  It's a distraction and could give your piece a run-on feeling.  But the rule on using "and" or "but" at the start of a sentence is pretty shaky.  Even though it's still taught by too many professors.  Some of the best writers have ignored that rule for years, including you.

From the movie Finding Forrester.

Yes, one of the earliest names for Gymnopilus species were named Agaricus, dating back to the early 1800's.  I always assumed that was because of certain similarities, including sporulation.  I'm probably incorrect about that, but I like to think that was one of the reasons.

Thanks, PF.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8870527 - 09/03/08 08:50 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Damned writers and their "artistic license". They destroy this language!:lol:

Agaricus? Wow, that's news to me. Thanks for that fact.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8870582 - 09/03/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, some of the original names were:Agaricus alnicola, A. aureobrunneus, A. bellulus, A. chrysopellus, A. chrysotrichus, A. geminellus, A. hallianus, A. harmoge, A. hybridus, A. junonius, A. liquiritiae, A. luteofolius, A. penetrans, A. picreus, A. polychrous, A. sapineus, A. spectabilis, A. spumeus and A. tricholoma.  Some of the synonymy can be found at Index Fungorum.

The addition of those names in this thread ought to mess up the database real good.  :ohwell:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8870609 - 09/03/08 09:10 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:grin:

Nice! It's interesting that they considered them to be in the same genus as other Agaricus species. I would have thought the differences were quite obvious.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8870636 - 09/03/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, actually the genus Gymnopilus hadn't been created yet.  Splitters work again.  :nonono:

:rofl:

--------------------

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
    #8871128 - 09/03/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice find Senor:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8872197 - 09/03/08 03:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

What are the measurements on the spores?  Shape of spores?  What types of cystidia does it have?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8872378 - 09/03/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'll be getting around to the shape and measurements tonight.  The sectioning will have to wait until I have a bit more time.  For one thing, I am out of stain.  I didn't intend to get this in depth on anything this soon.  Plus I need more cover glass for some other projects.  One thing did leap out at me last night.  NO APICAL PORE!  For a putative Hypholoma that raises some serious questions.

I've been thinking about something today and maybe you have an answer.  Has anyone ever done a study on the number of basidia per square millimeter per species?  I have been wondering why some mushrooms sporulate readily while others do not.  Perhaps the number of basidia is a clue.  I know environmental factors are at play, but I am looking for other reasons.  Boletes, for example, are notorious for leaving a light print, even in perfect conditions.  At least that has been my experience for quite a while.

I'll do my best to get some results tonight, but it might be late.

Oh, and do those compounds you mentioned cause blue staining through their oxidation like psilocin as in the case of other actives?

I noticed that avidpicker's finds and mine are different in at least one regard.  His had greenish tones while mine had definite bluing due to aging.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8872515 - 09/03/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NO APICAL PORE!

That is another sign that these are Gymnopilus.

Along with the anise smell and the overall look and habitat of the mushroom I would be very surprised if these turn out to be in another genus.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8872569 - 09/03/08 04:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think they are gyms, but maybe a new type of gym.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8872967 - 09/03/08 06:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

NO APICAL PORE!

Along with the anise smell and the overall look and habitat of the mushroom I would be very surprised if these turn out to be in another genus.

Just as surprised as I was to see a smooth spore.  Then again, there is the slimmest chance I didn't see what I thought I saw or didn't see what was actually there, i.e. ornamentation.  I have one more big project to do before I get on it.  In the meantime, if you can answer my questions, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks for hanging in.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8873235 - 09/03/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I see your questions but I don't have any answers.

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #8874183 - 09/03/08 09:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

NO APICAL PORE!

Just as surprised as I was to see a smooth spore.  Then again, there is the slimmest chance I didn't see what I thought I saw or didn't see what was actually there, i.e. ornamentation.  I have one more big project to do before I get on it.  In the meantime, if you can answer my questions, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks for hanging in.

Nice find, regardless of what it is.  I can definitely see the bluing.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: scout24]
    #8874460 - 09/03/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks scout.

Alan,

Here's what I worked up.  According to my calibration (give or take a number of variables), the spore(s) are approximately 12 x 5 microns with no apical pore.  There is zero ornamentation and the shape is amygdaliform to fusiform depending on what you call what.  The color seems to match Hypholoma far more than Gymnopilus and I will continue to think that unless someone can produce some photographs of Gym spores that are the same color as mine.

Here is one I pulled of the fibrillose zone (the remnants of the annulus):

The really odd thing is that some of the remnant tissue with spores is a different color from the print.  It is much darker, which explains the dark spores.

For those that aren't sure what we are talking about here are some drawings of Gymnopilus spores showing the various shapes and ornamentations.

This is a bit frustrating for me due to not being set up for such a thorough work up.  Everything in due time.  :shake:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8875256 - 09/04/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I respect your dedication towards identifying it.:thumbup:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8875517 - 09/04/08 06:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks Trip, but I don't know how I could do otherwise.  I feel a sense of responsibility to every mushroom I pick.  Given the circumstances surrounding this one it is 10x.

I forgot to mention another thing which I didn't get a picture of.  When I went to check on the cap and stipe in the Sporulator Jr last night I saw sky-blue fuzz growing from the base of the stipe.  It was like a little cotton ball 1 cm across.  I got so excited I did exactly the wrong thing, not only did I not get a picture, I touched it.  It immediately withered.  :ohwell:  I don't feel too bad though.  It didn't look alive.

Sometimes I make the biggest goofs.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags