Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: Adden]
    #8961688 - 09/21/08 03:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i read part of the first post and thought cool shit a free game, i was sadly disapointed  when i clicked the link :frown:

actually looks like something i would enjoy, but no game is worth a monthly fee, for me at least.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineillume
Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8961701 - 09/21/08 03:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i used to play zork and thought it was pretty cool. although dr seems a little complex, i would like to learn more about it though

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8962632 - 09/21/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you don't think quality entertainment is worth paying $15 a month for, I don't know what to tell you.

People pay $15 to see a single shitty movie, yet scoff when an amazing game dares to charge that much for a MONTH of playing it. I'd say if you spend more than 2 hours playing, you got your money's worth, no?

I can say for certain this is the most involved and complex mud I have ever played, and I have played a lot of them.. none of them even compare, or are even in the same league for that matter. I have played blackmud and it doesn't compare. DR is WELL worth the $15 a month, shit it's worth the 40 or whatever the premium subscription is. I know a lot of people will say oh shit well how you can pay real money for a TEXT game... it's easy.. the same way you can pay real money for pixels in a dumbed down graphical game that is designed for noobs. You pay for quality of content, not shiny sparklies. But the quality and depth of content is what keeps you entertained. A game like WoW, you hear of people getting "burnt out" or "bored" of it after several months or maybe a year or two. DR doesn't have that factor, you are either fiendishly addicted for 10 years or not. There is simply no room for boredom in this game, and you have the freedom to do whatever it is you want and there are no limitations to how you want to develop your character.

But I digress. If you can't read (which, everyone who visits the shroomery forums... can read).. then this game will not interest you. If you want to pwn some nubs with your 1337 welfare epic gearz, then this game will not interest you. If all you are interested in is explosions and high definition blood splatters, this game will not interest you. If you want to play probably one of the most well-designed and thought out games to date, this game will definitely interest you.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: Shroomism]
    #8965995 - 09/21/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

im gunna go install morrowind again with the wizards island mod :cool: cuss thats how i roll, great game with free mods and no monthly fee's

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
    #9175450 - 11/02/08 11:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

edit

Edited by Dystopia (02/11/13 10:00 AM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #9181172 - 11/04/08 04:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I know.. it's fucking ludicrous.

It was amazing pre-2000. But it's still a damn good game.
No way in fuck I would ever pay $250 to have my old character restored though..

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
    #9181601 - 11/04/08 08:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'd shell out $250 if it meant I could have my toon from twelve years ago back. The peak of my gaming with text.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #9181911 - 11/04/08 10:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I wish I could get a look at my old account before I paid the $250.

I know I have an old trader from probably 10 years ago and I'm sure I could make the money back w/ gear and the character.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9651684 - 01/21/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Bumping this thread for you Madtown.. guess what I've been doing with my free time as of late?

You are Psitree Shadowstalker of Elanthia, a S'Kra Mur.
You have an angular face and slitted eyes, one crystal blue and the other milky blue, silver scales and a long tail.
You are in good shape.

You are wearing a chain helm, a platinum kyanite gwethdesuan, a platinum jadeite gwethdesuan, a superior troll-skin mask, a worn dark hooded cloak, a polished ash crossbow with walnut overlays, a black nightsilk duffel bag clasped with a small silver skull, a forester's crossbow, a pale spidersilk backpack, some perfect azure-scaled leathers, some mail gloves, a black leather hand-tooled highwayman's belt, a sturdy spider pouch, a velvet-lined grey sack embroidered with a wavering death spirit, a glossy ebony-black sheath with darkened silver fittings, a patchwork leather thigh quiver and some ankle-high Elven stalking boots.

Name: Psitree Shadowstalker of Elanthia  Race: S'Kra Mur  Guild: Thief
You were born on the 35th day of the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer in the year of the Iron Toad, 368 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

Your birthday is 27 days away.

Strength : 31              Reflex : 38 
      Agility : 45            Charisma : 28 
  Discipline : 38              Wisdom : 28 
Intelligence : 28            Stamina : 30 

Concentration : 166    Max : 186

Favors : 13
        TDPs : 88
  Encumbrance : Light Burden

The clerk pages through her ledger.  "Shadowstalker, Psitree," she says to herself.  "Here we are.  Your current balance is 2456 platinum, 4 gold, 5 bronze, and 7 copper Kronars."

Circle: 69
Showing all skills that you have skill in.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
    Shield Usage:    216 91% clear            Leather Armor:    215 40% clear       
    Light Chain:    121 83% clear            Parry Ability:    177 77% clear       
  Multi Opponent:    199 54% clear              Light Edged:    198 15% clear       
    Medium Edged:    226 33% clear                Short Bow:    169 00% clear       
  Light Crossbow:    203 60% clear            Light Thrown:    125 80% clear       
        Brawling:    215 72% clear            Primary Magic:    13 95% clear       
Magical Devices:    11 97% clear          Targeted Magic:    22 30% clear       
        Evasion:    233 18% clear                Climbing:    253 40% concentrating
      Perception:    332 90% very muddled            Hiding:    334 22% muddled     
    Lockpicking:    198 89% clear            Disarm Traps:    198 96% clear       
        Stalking:    326 65% muddled              Stealing:    273 79% perplexing 
      First Aid:    172 21% learning              Foraging:    175 06% clear       
        Escaping:    70 66% learning              Backstab:    268 88% clear       
        Skinning:    151 20% clear                Swimming:    183 46% very muddled
    Scholarship:    217 83% pondering      Mechanical Lore:    203 55% bewildering 
      Appraisal:    223 61% concentrating        Teaching:    117 27% clear       
    Animal Lore:      7 75% clear              Percussions:    51 67% clear       
          Vocals:    269 03% perplexed   

Total Ranks Displayed: 6363
Time Development Points: 88  Favors: 13  Deaths: 39
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

Yes.. I've been doing a little bit of scripting :wink:
I wish it wasn't so against the rules or I'd be 120th by now..

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9672311 - 01/24/09 05:44 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just saw this...

I don't really know how I feel about scripting.  On one hand, once you get your primary skills to a certain level it just becomes a huge pain to gain any kind of ranks at all w/out a serious time investiture.  But on the other, scripting by some makes the hard work by those who don't script completely pointless.

As we've discussed before, I used to play on AOL back in the day before scripting was really prevalent at all, and I played the whole time that scripting policy was really heavily enforced before TF, and I played after nobody seemed to care anymore as is the case recently.  It's just silly.

I don't see how you can fix it though.  I mean, if you make it so less reps at a skill gives more experience, you're only going to end up with over-powered characters.  And if you don't enforce the scripting policy, same thing.

I'm not sure what you do.

I love that game so much.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9674787 - 01/25/09 07:12 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well.. It's pretty commonly accepted that to advance to high levels (100+) in this game you pretty much HAVE to script unless you want to go crazy or develop a bad case of carpal tunnel. Not that it's not possible without scripting.. it would just be making things a LOT more difficult on yourself and is a lot less efficient then it needs to be. I mean, let's not kid ourselves here.. this game is the ultimate grindfest. Most MMOs are super easy mode in comparison. I would suggest that the very nature of the game almost encourages scripting.

Yeah I remember the AOL days too and typing every single command by hand and not knowing the proper ways to train etc.. , that's probably why it took me something like 4-5 years to reach level 50. But hell I even scripted back then a little.. with shitty scripts. It just makes things easier, instead of having to type to same repetitive commands over and over and over and over and over and.. well. Also a lot has changed.. like say in regards to combat as an example.. you can't just sit there spamming attack gob.. you will become severely unbalanced. Each weapon type has a different attack cycle that is optimum for balance... for example; ME is feint, draw, thrust, sweep, jab. And unless you do that particular combo every time or a similar one for that weapon then you will become severely unbalanced and start to be dominated. Just a really basic example.

What I don't do is AFK script. Well.. excessively. I admit I've left it running a few times when grabbing a drink or taking a piss, but 99% of the time I am there watching the script. So technically I'm not breaking any rules because scripting is perfectly legal if you are ATK. It just saves me from having to type the same things 50 thousand times in a row and really is more efficient. Plus, the scripts I use are pretty insanely complex.. it's pretty fun to work on them.

This is my combat script as an example.. this shit is fun - http://pastebin.com/m6551862b

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9675122 - 01/25/09 09:42 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, like I say, I'm aware that everyone scripts.

I've always used combat scripts and training scripts that run around climbing and swimming and foraging and hiding and searching and juggling and whatnot.

And I don't mind running a combat script while you're sitting there.

But there are plenty of people who have very good AFK scripts that will AFK script all day long, every day.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#9675742 - 01/25/09 11:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

I just looked at your script.

For fuck's sake, man.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9677166 - 01/25/09 03:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

#9687741 - 01/27/09 09:56 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I felt the same way about UO back in the day... pre AoS.

Now I play WoW. WoW is no UO, but its a good game none the less.

--------------------
Can't stop the Trance! Dance!! DANCE!!!

A good archive of Trance music to listen to when you want to relax or trip with.
www.trance104.com

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: Trance104]
    #10862487 - 08/14/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

bump.

PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME!

MTT: This is for you.. since you're probably the only person that will get it
http://textbasedshame.livejournal.com/

--------------------

InvisibleRedBeerd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty south....
    #10945669 - 08/27/09 12:23 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Dudes.... I played DR alot in the past... and on a VERY wild hair, I decided to check it out again a couple days ago...  It's improved alot with experience 2.0 and other changes.. 

I was googling some stuff for my circle 5 (lol, I mean literally 3 days ago) ranger when I came across this thread... small world (internets)

Also, just re-emphasizing this mud is the shit... Super-addictive, but it's okay, because your girlfriend might not even mind it (at first) because it's just so damn cool.

Also, instant typing improvement program... I could type 180 WPM if I already knew the text in 10th grade because of this game

Edit:  Since I finally just read the whole thread:

If you've played MUDs, and think it can't possibly be worth 14.99 (which is the actual price for one character) try the free trial, like I'm doing (again)

--------------------

Edited by RedBeerd (08/27/09 12:40 AM)

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Dragonrealms - text based MMORPG [Re: RedBeerd]
    #11079625 - 09/17/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Playing this.

AGAIN.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#11079639 - 09/17/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Shroomism, Send Me MM Scripts From Secret Script Depository.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #11340837 - 10/28/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Bump.
Shit Madtown, I didn't realize you started playing again.

I'm playing TF exclusively now. I gave up on the lame-fest that is prime, although it has its pros.. the cons far outweigh it.
Too many lame reporters and crybabies. I pretty much play just to advance, and perfect the art of making the perfect script.
Plus I don't have much free time anymore to sit and babysit my script and constantly have to watch the screen for GM checks. TF is perfect.
But if you need help or something, I still have my prime character, he's just collecting dust. Hit me up on AIM whenever - Shroomismschism

This is the TF character I started, about 3 months ago.

Quote:

Circle: 79
Showing all skills that you have skill in.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
    Shield Usage:    276 25% intrigued    (16/34)  Leather Armor:    274 78% attentive    (10/34)
    Light Chain:    208 35% perusing      (2/34)    Cloth Armor:    152 05% dabbling      (1/34)
  Parry Ability:    253 53% clear          (0/34)  Multi Opponent:    279 59% learning      (3/34)
    Light Edged:    260 01% clear          (0/34)    Medium Edged:    292 94% understanding (14/34)
    Heavy Edged:      1 04% clear          (0/34)    Light Blunt:    35 05% clear          (0/34)
    Medium Blunt:    35 04% clear          (0/34)    Heavy Blunt:    56 53% clear          (0/34)
      Short Bow:    257 34% ruminating    (8/34)        Long Bow:    57 67% clear          (0/34)
  Light Crossbow:    252 99% thoughtful    (4/34)    Light Thrown:    189 66% understanding (14/34)
    Heavy Thrown:    60 50% clear          (0/34)        Brawling:    215 56% studious      (19/34)
  Offhand Weapon:    178 11% interested    (12/34)  Power Perceive:      2 43% clear          (0/34)
  Targeted Magic:    61 68% clear          (0/34)        Evasion:    297 81% considering    (6/34)
        Climbing:    289 25% dabbling      (1/34)      Perception:    399 01% concentrating  (9/34)
          Hiding:    354 68% clear          (0/34)    Lockpicking:    248 18% clear          (0/34)
    Disarm Traps:    217 33% clear          (0/34)        Stalking:    368 70% learning      (3/34)
        Stealing:    298 95% clear          (0/34)      First Aid:    127 21% clear          (0/34)
        Foraging:    215 33% clear          (0/34)        Escaping:    45 50% clear          (0/34)
        Backstab:    280 91% clear          (0/34)        Skinning:    173 16% perusing      (2/34)
        Swimming:    223 97% clear          (0/34)    Scholarship:    208 56% clear          (0/34)
Mechanical Lore:    241 96% clear          (0/34)      Appraisal:    277 82% pondering      (7/34)
        Teaching:    125 75% clear          (0/34)          Vocals:    326 63% thinking      (5/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 8102
Time Development Points: 977  Favors: 20  Deaths: 61  Departs: 25
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

Name: Woodland Bandit Shroom  Race: S'Kra Mur  Guild: Thief
You were born on the 9th day of the 10th month of Nissa the Maiden in the year of the Crystal Snow Hare, 370 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer.

Your birthday is 9 months away.

Strength : 36+            Reflex : 46+
      Agility : 46+            Charisma : 30
  Discipline : 43+              Wisdom : 30 
Intelligence : 32            Stamina : 35+

Concentration : 107    Max : 212

Favors : 20
        TDPs : 977
  Encumbrance : None

TF FTW!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom