Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAgroCrag
Urban Achiever

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Imaginationland
Re: SPORE [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8913226 - 09/11/08 04:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I 100% back ya up whiskey, no depth at all, its just...too repetitive

hopefully Maxis can learn from their mistakes with this one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
    #8913614 - 09/11/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That's a very excellent, accurate review.  After the initial shock of playing through the game I started seeing how unoriginal and lackluster it can really get.

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
    #8915512 - 09/11/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

okay, so the space stage isn't all that bad once you realize your true objective, getting to the center of the galaxy, which proves to be next to impossible and very frustrating but a little less boring at least. it would be a lot better though if they would do away with the random events such as the ecodisasters, pirating, and the grox attacking, i'm currently looking for a mod to fix this myself.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (09/11/08 10:08 PM)

Offlinejuju
Stranger
Re: SPORE [Re: highdroponics]
    #9201403 - 11/07/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hm, I haven't played this game yet.....I bought it, but my computer doesn't support it and I don't have the money to upgrade.  I gave it to a friend to try out, he hasn't gotten around to it yet though.

I am personally intrigued simply by the fact of how in-depth the overall concept of the game is.  Sure the individual levels may be a bit boring after a bit, but I'm not really sure what else could be added to make it exciting.  You get to evolve your own organism.  You get to develop what kind of civilization you want, violent or peaceful, and then act on those violent or peaceful impulses.  You get to customize buildings, vehicles, technology, tribe songs.  You get to customize your character to look HOWEVER the hell you want.  Did you see on youtube all of the craaazy ass creatures people were making?  Some one made predator for christ's sake.  I think you guys just aren't using your imaginations to experience the games full potential.  :crazy2:  It seems like the type of game that will give back what you put into it.  Hopefully I'll get to play it soon and say this for certain.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: SPORE [Re: juju]
    #9201562 - 11/07/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

juju said:
I am personally intrigued simply by the fact of how in-depth the overall concept of the game is.  Sure the individual levels may be a bit boring after a bit, but I'm not really sure what else could be added to make it exciting.  You get to evolve your own organism.  You get to develop what kind of civilization you want, violent or peaceful, and then act on those violent or peaceful impulses.  You get to customize buildings, vehicles, technology, tribe songs.  You get to customize your character to look HOWEVER the hell you want.  Did you see on youtube all of the craaazy ass creatures people were making?  Some one made predator for christ's sake.  I think you guys just aren't using your imaginations to experience the games full potential.  :crazy2:  It seems like the type of game that will give back what you put into it.  Hopefully I'll get to play it soon and say this for certain.

It was the apparent depth that intrigued me as well, but having played it I can tell you that it is very superficial compared to any other Maxis game I've played.  The design of your creature has absolutely no bearing on how it functions or behaves.  You could make a Predator or a Kirby but it is only the bonuses you buy for it that make it any different than any other creature in the game.  Vehicles are the same.

Appearances are highly customizable, which is cool, but that is the extent of the depth of the game.

I think you should try it before you tell us we have no imaginations.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineCokedUpHobit64
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9201770 - 11/07/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The game pretty much sucks.

--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: SPORE [Re: CokedUpHobit64]
    #9201821 - 11/07/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well put

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#9203463 - 11/07/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

which is a shame to hear, it built up so much hype over the years then it falls flat on its face.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: SPORE [Re: coda]
    #9203469 - 11/07/08 05:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah and I'm not sure why... It's like they got tired of developing it halfway through and just released it as it was at the time.

--------------------

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#9203526 - 11/07/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I heard that the development team was somewhat split...one side wanted it to be more of a science-based life simulator, and the other side wanted it to be more simplified...

The latter group won, apparently.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: SPORE [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #9203539 - 11/07/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:crankey: I wanted the science dorks to win!

--------------------

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#9203564 - 11/07/08 05:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yea. :mad:

This game had such amazing potential...damn.
I'm sure there be another similar game at some point that will do a better job...but now I have to WAIT again!  :gaycrankey:

InvisibleDieCommie

#9203568 - 11/07/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
:crankey: I wanted the science dorks to win!

Dont we all.  Ill throw another vote for 'spore sucks'.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: SPORE [Re: DieCommie]
    #9203584 - 11/07/08 05:36 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

*high five*

--------------------

OfflineCrypticMike
A translation

Loc: Yes
    #9203894 - 11/07/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, this game is FAR away from what they say it would be. I guess you can say it sucks... I got some fun with it but it undoubtly is repetitive and get boring pretty fast.

--------------------
:chinchilla:A welped sagun:chinchilla:

Offlinejuju
Stranger
Re: SPORE [Re: CrypticMike]
    #9206112 - 11/08/08 08:37 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not trying to be cynical or argumentative, but what do you think they could have possibly added to make it more in depth?  What was it that you expected going into the game that just didn't happen?  I'm just trying to fully grasp why it apparently sucks so much, having not played it yet.

Invisiblelexmark
Stranger

#9206181 - 11/08/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

did someone bump up an old thread?  its been out for awhile and i heard it sux the big one, major disapointment for anyone who waited for it

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: SPORE [Re: juju]
    #9209518 - 11/08/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

juju said:
I'm not trying to be cynical or argumentative, but what do you think they could have possibly added to make it more in depth?  What was it that you expected going into the game that just didn't happen?  I'm just trying to fully grasp why it apparently sucks so much, having not played it yet.

As has been mentioned earlier, the game is completely linear and too discrete.  There are particular steps where the game changes and much of what you earned and did in a early step is useless.  It should be a fluid transition.  Also there are really only three different path to go on at each stage of development, good - medium - bad.  Thats it.  There is not much difference between them at all.  You spend alot of time designing a creature but that changes nothing, all creatures are basically the same.  There are a small group of skill you can learn, each at set levels (discrete), and virtually no customization beyond aesthetics.  The environment is the same every time, and does not adapt or change at all based on your choices for your creature.  The space stage bypasses all of this, everything you do before it is useless and has no effect on you when in space.  When you reach space there are just a few tasks you have to do over and over... no space fleet (4 vehicles only), no grand empire or strategy... just flying back and forth from planet to planet completing the same types of missions over and over.

Epic fail. :thumbdown:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom