Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Need an ID on a Bolete
    #8709429 - 07/31/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Habitat: Found growing under a young oak near the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant.

Gills: Pores, yellowish, becoming olive when mature.  Bruise immediately when scratched with a fingernail.

Stem: Yellow-white, 3-4" long, 3/4" diameter, solid and deeply rooted in soil.  Fine net-like pattern.

Cap: 4-5" across, reddish brown, smooth and dry to the touch with some cracking with yellow flesh showing through.  Slightly flattened when mature.

Spore print color: Olive green.

Bruising:  Pores bruise readily when scratched.  Surface does not bruise but turns dark blue immediately when broken.  Color fades after 10-15 minutes.

Other information:  Mushroomy scent... I think.  Gave a piece of stem a nibble test and found it to taste clean and mild, no bitterness at all.

Edited by Paresthesia (07/31/08 08:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Need an ID on a Bolete [Re: Paresthesia]
    #8709540 - 07/31/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The mexican restaurant is crucial in the ID. Ive noticed boletus bicolor grows near certain mexican restaurants as well as taco bells:lol:

No but seriously i dont know.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Need an ID on a Bolete [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8709582 - 07/31/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think its a Suillus.  A closeup of the pore surface would help, but I think I see some glandular dots on the stem of some of those, which is common for Suillus.  Check to see if the cap is slimy if you wet your finger.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Need an ID on a Bolete [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8709589 - 07/31/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I mention that because I didn't think the restaurant owners would mind me pulling up his mushrooms.  When was the last time you had mexican food with mushrooms in it?  Never!!  The last time was never!!

Now, if it was like.. a polish restaurant or an italian restaurant, I'd have asked for permission first. :grin:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Need an ID on a Bolete [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8709678 - 07/31/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
I think its a Suillus.  A closeup of the pore surface would help, but I think I see some glandular dots on the stem of some of those, which is common for Suillus.  Check to see if the cap is slimy if you wet your finger.

It's tough to take close up photos!  I need to read my damn camera manual.  I tried wetting the cap and it remained smooth and dry.

I'll take them out and try again tomorrow.  If it helps, these are in the Texas Gulf Coast area.  So can I make spaghetti yet?!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8710467 - 08/01/08 01:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

.  So can I make spaghetti yet?!

Since its a bluing one you'll want to ID it to species before you try to make any spaghetti with it.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8710845 - 08/01/08 05:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Since its a bluing one you'll want to ID it to species before you try to make any spaghetti with it.

I may just be out of luck, then.  It seems to fit the profile of campestris (yum!), fraternus (bleah!) and rubellus (but you've been in the bathroom ALL DAY!).  These are apparently difficult to distinguish, even under the microscope.

This was my first official find as an amatuer mushroom hunter.  Hm.  So... how much of a mushroom do you have to eat to figure out if it'll make you sick without making you TOO sick?  (I'm kidding.  Mostly.)

I'm not giving up!  Wild foods are the best things we can eat.  They're what we were designed to eat!  (Or evolved, or whatever your belief system endorses.)

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8711020 - 08/01/08 07:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I emailed the author of my field guide.  She seemed a bit annoyed at.  Not surprising, I guess.  Anyways, her opinion is Boletus rubricitrinus, apparently a good edible.

I'm nervous.  How much is safe to eat without making me spend the weekend in the bathroom or the emergency room?  If I do this, how long does it generally take for signs of poisoning to occur?  I'll set aside a specimen for analysis before I try them, for my hospital trip!

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Boletus+rubricitrinus

I found this thread as well: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8572046/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8715086 - 08/02/08 05:36 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

How do I know if they're safe to eat?  I've never had mushroom poisoning before!

Yesterday afternoon I sliced up one of the smaller ones and sauteed it in butter.  It was delicious.

I chased that with a bowl of spaghetti and three bottles of beer.

Four hours later I felt the faint rumblings of GI distress.

This morning, well... Once I got everything out I was fine.  I tend to have a bit of a sensitive stomach as it is, so it may just be adding something new to my diet.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

#8716097 - 08/02/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Basically, you have to ID most likely edible mushrooms to species before trying a taste. While the boletes are relatively safe in there being few or no known deadly species, there are plenty of GI poisonous species that can be difficult to distinguish from similar species. This is particularly true for reddish-capped boletes that stain blue and any bolete with an orange or red pore surface.

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8716306 - 08/02/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

How do I know if they're safe to eat?  I've never had mushroom poisoning before!

You have had it now.  : )

These are the edibility rules for boletes:

Quote:

Boletes are edible if they are in the genus Boletus and do not stain blue or have a red pore surface. Boletus that stains blue or have a red pore surface may be edible, they need to be ID'd to species to be sure.

Tylopilus is usually edible if its not bitter but some species like Tylopilus eximius and another unknown one that grows in the rocky mountains causes upset stomach.

Leccinum is edible as long as it doesn't have an orange or red cap.

Suillus is generally edible, especially if you remove the slimy pellicle.

Since your mushroom has a dry cap surface, its not a Suillus and the Boleteus rule applies, and since its a blue stainer it needs to be ID'd to species to tell if it is edible.

I don't know about the B. rubricitrinus ID, I would expect more red in the stems.  And it doesn't really look like the [url=http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5651~gid~.asp]
Boletus rubricitrinus[/url] in rogers mushrooms.  I think that is kind of a rare species and you might have something else, it isn't in that many books.  There are many species of Boletus that look almost exactly like that, its hard to separate them even if you have them right in front of you.

Quote:

Four hours later I felt the faint rumblings of GI distress.

This morning, well... Once I got everything out I was fine.  I tend to have a bit of a sensitive stomach as it is, so it may just be adding something new to my diet.

That sounds like typical mild bolete poisoning.  Next time try a species that does not stain blue or is easier to ID to species for sure.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8718244 - 08/02/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I asked around at a farmer's market today and discovered that the people I buy (pasture raised!) meats from regularly eat chanterelles on their property and know a mycologist.  Social networking comes through once again.

I found a few other boletes around, including a very promising yellow capped bolete with a really fat stem and no blue stains when broken.  Way too dried out to attempt an ID though.  I will keep looking!

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinesusie77
Weirdo
Female
Loc: Eastern Missouri
    #8861862 - 09/01/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, paresthesias, thanks for saving us from a night worshipping at the Porcelain Throne. Came home to Main Dude's house to find some awesome shrooms in a ring under his baby oak tree. Turned one over and saw spongy rather than gilly underneaths. Looked on line and found out they are boletes and edible. Gathered some up, took 'em inside, peeled away the yellow spongy stuff, did a taste test (no taste). Was entranced at the purty blue color when cutting them. Less entranced with the  black fingernails they gave me. Decided that might be weird so did a google search and ran across this site, and your posts. And your experience. Thanks for posting it. I threw  those boogers in the trash can.
Dammit. Fresh tasty wild shrooms from the front yard just sounded so GOOD. I wonder  why it is that when I was a kid I tasted everything in the yard/neighborhood, and even ate the stuff that tasted good, and never got sick... but now everything kills you. What's up with that?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds