Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAdoreChampignons
Mycophilic One

Loc: Seti Alpha 5
What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom?
    #8859657 - 09/01/08 10:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

In knowing how many varieties of mushrooms that are out there, I was wondering what everyones favorites were. For myself I couldnt pick out just one mushroom, or even my top three. Therefore, I gave the option of picking your top five mushrooms. Lets see which one come out at the top of the list.

Cheers,
Mycophilic One
My Favorite Mushrooms Are...
You may choose 5

Votes accepted from (09/01/08 12:00 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheMadSeasonV
Bagger

Loc: Flag
Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: AdoreChampignons]
    #8866187 - 09/02/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Favorite tasting or favorite to grow?

--------------------
www.TheMadSeason.com

We offer: grow bags, grain spawn bags, filter patch mycobags, petri dishes, syringes & needles, liquid culture lids, syringe filters, filter discs, jar lid gaskets, injection ports, Let's Grow Mushrooms DVD's and MORE!!!

Shroomery Members get a 10% discount by using the coupon code shroomery during checkout!

NOW OFFERING PF TEK REFILL KITS!

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: TheMadSeason]
    #8868251 - 09/02/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i put favorite to eat not grow

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

Mycophilic One

Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: grod31]
    #8868642 - 09/02/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking of people's favorite mushroom to eat.  I know a lot of people like to eat and grow magic shrooms but in this case, I was hoping to put the emphasis on the purely edible variety of mushrooms.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #8870892 - 09/03/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

CHANTERELLES!  So far.  I've only been able to collect two from my secret spot, but the omelet they made was just heavenly.

I'm going to puree a bunch up with distilled water and inoculate all of the oak trees near my house. :smile:

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Mycophilic One

Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: Paresthesia]
    #8873967 - 09/03/08 09:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
...I'm going to puree a bunch up with distilled water and inoculate all of the oak trees near my house...

That sounds like a wonderful idea.  I wish more people did that.

--------------------

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

#8876276 - 09/04/08 10:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
CHANTERELLES!  So far.  I've only been able to collect two from my secret spot, but the omelet they made was just heavenly.

I'm going to puree a bunch up with distilled water and inoculate all of the oak trees near my house. :smile:

chantrelles don't grow with oaks, buddy...  they usually have an association with some type of evergreen pine-needle tree.  In the PNW they have an exclusive relationship with Douglas Fir (often found in stands of Western Hemlock, but guaranteed there's a few doug's about where they are...)

i love chanties as well though, the PNW is fuckin great for them.  They sell for near $10 a pound (usually between 7-11, depending on where you go) but i've found that about a half hour walk in the woods can net me about 5 pounds of these delicious little buggers.... i might have to start wildcrafting to sell to local stores and such.

edit: sorry to be a ball buster, but isn't bear's head Hericium abietis, and the Lion's Mane Hericium erinaceus?

and candy caps aren't on the list!  tsk tsk!  if you've never tried candy cap cookies, you haven't tasted the delicious delights the mushroom world has to offer.  i also didn't see the prince up there, but i've never found any of those... yet.  I hear they're amazingly delicious though.

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (09/04/08 10:50 AM)

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #8876707 - 09/04/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SuchSmartMonkeys said:
chantrelles don't grow with oaks, buddy...  they usually have an association with some type of evergreen pine-needle tree.  In the PNW they have an exclusive relationship with Douglas Fir (often found in stands of Western Hemlock, but guaranteed there's a few doug's about where they are...)

i love chanties as well though, the PNW is fuckin great for them.  They sell for near $10 a pound (usually between 7-11, depending on where you go) but i've found that about a half hour walk in the woods can net me about 5 pounds of these delicious little buggers.... i might have to start wildcrafting to sell to local stores and such.

edit: sorry to be a ball buster, but isn't bear's head Hericium abietis, and the Lion's Mane Hericium erinaceus?

and candy caps aren't on the list!  tsk tsk!  if you've never tried candy cap cookies, you haven't tasted the delicious delights the mushroom world has to offer.  i also didn't see the prince up there, but i've never found any of those... yet.  I hear they're amazingly delicious though.

What what what?!  You want to throw down, buddy?  Who are you to tell my chanterelles who to associate with?! :smile:

Mycorrhizal species seem to associate with different trees east and west of the Rockies.  I live in the Gulf Coast region, and at the moment what I've been finding are smooth chanterelles. (http://www.mushroomexpert.com/cantharellus-lateritius.html) They're growing under an OAK TREE.

Down here morels also associate with hardwoods as well.  They seem to like oaks and occasionally white ash trees.

By lion's mane, I mean the.. not bear one.  And I've never heard of candy caps!  We have different mushrooms east of the Rockies!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#8877528 - 09/04/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hey man, not trying to throw down or nothing, all peace and love and the spread of knowledge in the world of fungus... but that site you posted still said this first thing: "I love this mushroom. When I lived in northwest Pennsylvania, Cantharellus lateritius was the most common chanterelle--and, to my taste, it is just as good as the "true" chanterelle, Cantharellus cibarius."  And the "true" chantrelle, Cantharellus cibarius associates with evergreens... exclusively Doug Fir in the PNW... and morels aren't technically mychorrizal.  They often times associate with certain trees, but doesn't create/need a symbiotic relationship with said trees to survive... i have a buddy who is currently working on fruiting morels indoors, and it has nothing to do with specific plants... a lot more to do with specific content of substrate (sand, burnt wood, various types work, etc. etc.).
sorry if it was taken that way, but i'm not trying to start any trouble, you seem to know what your talking about, but i certainly do as well...

and dude!  if you ever come west of the rockies in the fall season, you HAVE to hunt candy caps... fuckin amazing.  if you dry them or cook with them, they make your whole kitchen/house smell like maple syrup.  I made candy cap cookies for a class i was in, and everyone insisted i was lying, and that i had to have put maple syrup into the batter, but not so...

--------------------
[url=http:

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8877924 - 09/04/08 04:30 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Oh my goodness.  Please, let's not fight this Christmas.  For the kids!

If you haven't heard of it, you should read "The Omnivore's Dilemma."  The author goes chanterelle hunting in the Berkeley area... around oaks!  Also, you'll never want to buy steaks at the grocery store again.

I just checked out an article titled "Chanterelles of the Gulf Coastal Region" on the Gulf Coast States Mycological Society web site.  Here; Down HERE they (C. cibarius) grow around hardwoods, predominantly.  I'm really itching to go look for some but I'm having difficulty finding people to "show me the ropes," so to speak.

Edited by Paresthesia (09/04/08 04:38 PM)

OfflineHematite
Newbee
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wisconsin
    #8878391 - 09/04/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Oh my goodness.  Please, let's not fight this Christmas.  For the kids!

If you haven't heard of it, you should read "The Omnivore's Dilemma."  The author goes chanterelle hunting in the Berkeley area... around oaks!  Also, you'll never want to buy steaks at the grocery store again.

I just checked out an article titled "Chanterelles of the Gulf Coastal Region" on the Gulf Coast States Mycological Society web site.  Here; Down HERE they (C. cibarius) grow around hardwoods, predominantly.  I'm really itching to go look for some but I'm having difficulty finding people to "show me the ropes," so to speak.

Here in Wisconsin I find chanterelles (C. cibarius, C. lateritius, and others) in association with oaks and elms; in New York I find them in tremendous numbers under beeches. I've never seen one under a conifer without there being a hardwood there too. Boletus edulis also grows under hardwoods here. Fungi are adaptable. If anything is to grow in the PNW, it better grow under a conifer because there isn't much else. The same isn't true in the east.

For what it's worth the last I heard the Pacific golden chanterelle had been given its own species, C. formosus. But I'm not a fan of the species concept, and given the messed taxonomy of chanterelles the term means even less with them than usual, if that is possible.

Edited by Hematite (09/04/08 06:03 PM)

OfflineHematite
Newbee
Male User Gallery

#8878410 - 09/04/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'd put some Lactarius on the list. I nominate L. volemus.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: Hematite]
    #8878893 - 09/04/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've been giving this quite a bit of thought lately.  There are tons and tons of oaks growing along the Texas Gulf Coast, including the famed Goose Island Oak, which is over 1,000 years old.  (If I ever see it again, I'll be sure to go a few days after a heavy rain!)  Are oaks especially suited to mycorrhizal species with larger fruits?  Because of their slow growth and longevity?

While I'm at it... Why here and not there?  Why now and not then? :smile:

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#8880531 - 09/05/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

chill B, like i said before, i'm not trying to start anything.... like said above, i'm only speaking my knowledge of the PNW, and around here, chantrelles have an exclusive relationship with Doug Fir...  I've wondered about this though, because someone else told me that the chanties in the east grow around certain hardwood trees.  I've also heard through Aurora in MD as well as the person who told me this that the chanties on the east are chock full of maggots unless you get them when real young (is this true? because i so....).  I'm interested in this has anything to do with the trees they associate themselves with.  I know that evergreens have better defense against rot and bugs, is this part of what is passed on through the relationship?
I have literally never found a bug in a chantrelle, even when they are rotten as fuck...

--------------------
[url=http:

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

#8880719 - 09/05/08 05:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a little touchy on the chanterelle tree thing, sorry.  I've only been able to find one spot since I figured out what to look for, and I'm struggling to figure out why they grow there and when they appear.

Also, irony is difficult to convey without secondary cues like facial expression and tone of voice.  I really don't take things that seriously, although I would imagine some mycophages have come to blows over things like what trees to look under. :smile:

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#8882326 - 09/05/08 01:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

hahaha, totally dude.  It's also common for mushroom hunting folk to give misleading information.  people don't like to give up info to others about how to find their favorite mushroom, means more for them (i don't exactly get this thinking... i won't give exact locations, but i will give info about habitat and such, help people find their own patches).  Man, once you get an eye for chantrelles, all you gotta do is walk quickly through the forest at a bit of a stooped over position, you will see speckles of orange popping up all over the place.  Seriously, i think it's fucking hilarious that they sell them for like $8-12 a pound (depending on where and when), when in areas that aren't even that good for them, i can collect about 5 pounds in a half hour.... I've been to other places where i seriously was having trouble stepping without mashing chanties...  i filled up my sack, and my hat within 5 minutes...

edit:  and to the dude who said to put some lactarius on there, i'm all for it!  I put in my vote for "other mushrooms" thinking of Lactarius rubidus, the candy cap...

edit #2:  thought i'd post this video in here for you folks... it's me up a tree knocking down a bears head fungus (Hericium abietis).  I was walking down this trail with a guy who knew nothing about fungus, he was talking about "oh yeah, right up around this corner, i saw a big conk on a snag last week, i wonder if its still there" cause he knew i was interested in mushies.  i was just like "whatever dude, i don't care about a conk up a snag..."  As soon as we turned the bend and i saw it, my jaw fucking dropped and my eyes burst out of my head, i immediately just went booking it off the trail.  Dude just shrugged his shoulders and kept walking...  I had to climb up a tiny vine maple with a walking pole to poke at it to knock it down while a buddy is underneath catching it with his jacket.  enjoy!

The girl who was recording is a fucking cheeseball... "Mana from heaven..." what a slag...

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (09/05/08 01:17 PM)

OfflineHematite
Newbee
Male User Gallery

#8882484 - 09/05/08 01:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SuchSmartMonkeys said:
chill B, like i said before, i'm not trying to start anything.... like said above, i'm only speaking my knowledge of the PNW, and around here, chantrelles have an exclusive relationship with Doug Fir...  I've wondered about this though, because someone else told me that the chanties in the east grow around certain hardwood trees.  I've also heard through Aurora in MD as well as the person who told me this that the chanties on the east are chock full of maggots unless you get them when real young (is this true? because i so....).  I'm interested in this has anything to do with the trees they associate themselves with.  I know that evergreens have better defense against rot and bugs, is this part of what is passed on through the relationship?
I have literally never found a bug in a chantrelle, even when they are rotten as fuck...

Some of the eastern chanterelles I find are bug free even when old, and some emerge from the ground with bugs already in them. Partly it's the timing, with chanterelles becoming steadily more buggy as the season progresses. But there is a lot more to it than that. Bugs seem just more attracted to some of chanterelles than to others, hinting at genetic differences between them. (Aside: I think that a lot of genetic variation is masked by our insistence on divvying up living things into "species," an unfortunate relic of pre-evolutionary formalism).

However, I wouldn't describe even a heavily infested eastern chanterelle as "full of maggots" in the way that an Agaricus or a Pleurotus, say, can be. Bug-eaten chanterelles are just full of holes, not necessarily rotten. They taste fine and in storage do not change into the writhing mass of corruption that an oyster mushroom will become. If a chanterelle is rotten I'll throw it away, but I seldom throw one away a  just because of bugs.

I suspect, in fact, that far from being a pest, some chanterelles exist in order to be food for insects, that the insects play some active role in spore dispersal. After all, what is the point in looking like a flower and smelling like ripe fruit unless you're trying to get something to notice and eat you?

Edited by Hematite (09/05/08 01:46 PM)

OfflineHematite
Newbee
Male User Gallery

#8882604 - 09/05/08 02:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SuchSmartMonkeys said:
hahaha, totally dude.  It's also common for mushroom hunting folk to give misleading information.  people don't like to give up info to others about how to find their favorite mushroom, means more for them (i don't exactly get this thinking... i won't give exact locations, but i will give info about habitat and such, help people find their own patches).  Man, once you get an eye for chantrelles, all you gotta do is walk quickly through the forest at a bit of a stooped over position, you will see speckles of orange popping up all over the place.  Seriously, i think it's fucking hilarious that they sell them for like $8-12 a pound (depending on where and when), when in areas that aren't even that good for them, i can collect about 5 pounds in a half hour.... I've been to other places where i seriously was having trouble stepping without mashing chanties...  i filled up my sack, and my hat within 5 minutes...

Try $20-25/lb wholesale, which is what I get in some of the more affectedly "Ye Olde" towns in New England, where rich New Yorkers and Bostonians go and pretend to be aristocrats. If you look at it just in terms of how easy it is to collect chanterelles when they are in season, that seems like an absurdly high price. But if you consider the brevity of the season, and the work involved in hauling, sorting and cleaning chanterelles, it's really not unfair. Under ideal conditions I probably could harvest about 500 lbs of chanterelles in a season, which would give me about $10,000. That's a nice chunk of money for a casual forager, but if I were trying to make a living on harvesting mushrooms chanterelles almost certainly would account for 25% or more of my total income, in which case I'd be looking at an annual income of $40k or less, before expenses. Even as a casual forager with access to unlimited chanterelles in season, I'll give wild mushrooms away before selling them for any less than $10 lb, because I don't want to drive down the local price and hurt people who need the income more than I do.

Mycophilic One

Re: What's Your Favorite Edible Mushroom? [Re: Hematite]
    #8890900 - 09/07/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hematite said:

Is this the one that smells like rotting fish?

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8891713 - 09/07/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AdoreChampignons said:
Quote:

Hematite said:

Is this the one that smells like rotting fish?

Sort of, it's one of my favorites.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract