Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Exploded kernels, can someone confirm reason??
    #885697 - 09/16/02 12:10 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, a friend of mine, bought a bag of birdseed, used the whole thing, it worked great. He bought another bag, and pc'ed some jars the same way, and when the jars came out, he noticed many more exploded kernels than last time. He did accidentally pc for 5 minutes over an hour, but surely this wouldn't be enough to do that. Anno, could something slightly different about the grain have caused this. And this is what ur talking about in grain for dummies, where u say to make a batch w. different water content in the jars to see which ones best?? The ratio used here was 240 grams seed to 143 grams water, by weight. Thanks everyone!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Exploded kernels, can someone confirm reason?? [Re: Visigoth]
    #885709 - 09/16/02 12:16 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Just tweak the water content for the type of grain you're using. I usually stick to one brand of birdseed and have the timing perfected for optimum water content. I was in a different store once and bought a different brand of apparently similar birdseed, but for some reason it absorbed water quicker and led to a preponderance of bursted grain. I modified my simmering times and all is well.

Good luck!

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #885710 - 09/16/02 12:17 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Impart, the answer may be that the last bag of seed may have already had a much higher moisture %. So, the ratio was quirked -- from the on/set.

The Racoon simply soaks his, rinses, drains, loads & PC's. Never seems to fail. But, what works for some -- does not -- for others.

6T. :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #885711 - 09/16/02 12:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>The ratio used here was 240 grams seed to 143 grams water, by weight.

This seems ok as for the water content....

If this doesn?t work, you could allways simmer the seed for around 30 minutes, and when the kernels begin to popup, strain and pressure cook.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Exploded kernels, can someone confirm reason?? [Re: SixTango]
    #885713 - 09/16/02 12:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Impart, the answer may be that the last bag of seed may have already had a much higher moisture %.

Very good point.  I didn't consider that.  :smile: 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinef8L
Triumph

#885758 - 09/16/02 01:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

What I don't seem to understand is why you don't want exploding kernels in your substrate... Does it inhibit mycellia growth?

OfflinePSILLYSIMON
ALL CAPS
Loc: texas
    #885774 - 09/16/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Try using an electric rice steamer. They are great,all you do is cover the grain with an inch more water than grain and turn on, then load in jars and pressure cook for forty-five minutes. :smirk: 

--------------------
3,2,1, BLASTOFF!!!!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Exploded kernels, can someone confirm reason?? [Re: f8L]
    #885793 - 09/16/02 01:21 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

What I don't seem to understand is why you don't want exploding kernels in your substrate...

Because everything will be stuck together making it a pain in the ass to shake and lengthening colonization times.

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Exploded kernels, can someone confirm reason?? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #891215 - 09/18/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, dude thinks he figured out why. This bag of seed has sunflower seeds in it. Well, the dude found an easy way to strain the sunflower seeds out, leaving nothing but millet, red millet, and hulled oats. Could the absence of the sunflower seeds cause the ratio to be off somehow?!?! Thanks a ton, I think dude will just leave the sunflower seeds in next time rather than have to figure out the ratios again.

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale