Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd?
    #8853129 - 08/30/08 05:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, so i have 2 questions that are related to eachother...
First question:
I have 8 jars of PF tek, all got the trich.  In previous endeavors i have just dumped out the shit as far away from the house as i can get in the back yard, hosed them down, then put them in the dish washer, then used them again... although i have never had any problems with future contams doing this, i was reading that common practice is to PC the jars (or just throw them out, which seems silly)...  Didn't say whether to PC with contam'd contents before dumping them out to kill everything in them, or to dump them out then PC them to make sure they're clean for next round... anybody?

Question 2:
I was experimenting with 2 isolated strains by making LCs of them.  I filled about 4 syringes of each LC.  For one strain, none of the jars got contam'd.  For the other jars, every single one got contam'd (and i used 2 of the 4 syringes i filled for the jars).  So with this information, it's definitely safe to assume that my syringes are fucked, because they all showed the same contam... my question is, is it safe to say that the whole LC is contam'd, and pitch it, or would it be worth my while to fil a few more rynges to test...?

--------------------
[url=http:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #8853161 - 08/30/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

1:
My method is a little overkill, but whatever. I take them outside wearing a mask and dump them. Then throw them in the dishwasher. Then pressure cook them. Then ready to go.

2:
Its not worth trying. Once a LC is contaminated its through. If you think you did something wrong when drawing up in the syringe then you could try again. Its probably going to be a waste of time. I would say if you want you could sterilize a syringe in the PC I assume you know how, and then draw up your LC. Set aside 2 jars, and if they both get contaminated you know its your LC.

--------------------

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: MHbound]
    #8853186 - 08/30/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

alright, for the first question, i do about the same, minus the pressure cooking before loading.  I figure if there is anything in the jar after dishwasher, it can go in with the un-PCed grains and such, because those are all covered in nastys that are about to get sterilized also...

and i definitely fucked up drawing up the syringes, i just don't know if it would have fucked up the whole LC, or just the syringes... It was the first syringe i fucked up with, and that one as well as the 2nd syringe sucked up all had contams... I'm afraid what i did with the first one just fucked it up for the rest.  i might try making one more syringe and just shoot up like 2 jars or something to test before i pitch it.

--------------------
[url=http:

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #8853243 - 08/30/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That not much overkill. I dumped mine outside and put bleachwater in it (1cup per gallon)

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: alkylbenzene23]
    #8853287 - 08/30/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Guys, mold spores are killed at any temperature over about 130F, and also by soap and water.  The dishwasher is fine, or you can just wash them in the sink with your dishes.  The jars and substrate will get sterilized together on the next cycle.  This hobby has enough hoops to jump through without making extra work for no extra return.

I'd toss the bad batch of LC.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8853325 - 08/30/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thank you RR.  Exactly my thinking on the matter, just wanted someone with a little more knowledge to back it up...

--------------------
[url=http:

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #8854969 - 08/31/08 02:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yea I was pretty sure thats how it went, but for whatever reason I like to overdo it all.

If I get contaminates I will find a way to do it overkill. I use to use clorox too. Yea retarded but whatever.

--------------------

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 questions: cleaning contam'd jars for future use, and is my LC contam'd? [Re: MHbound]
    #8856076 - 08/31/08 01:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

basically just put on a mask (looked like smoke coming out of the jars as i dumped, didn't want to breathe in that nastiness...) and dumped them in my compost bin out back (not a substrate compost pile, just food scraps and such compost....).  Used my 10% bleach spray i use in my lab space to spritz each jar a little before bringing them back inside (try to cut down on the nasties coming back in with me, but my clothes are probably just covered in spores....)  plan on taking a good shower and spritzing my bedroom with bleach before i enter my lab space, and giving that a good spritz as well, just to ensure no baddies in the air.... but first, i go retrieve more supplies before entering the lab again....

--------------------
[url=http:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains