Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMeSaUsA
journeyman
Bird seed smells like crap
    #884925 - 09/16/02 04:54 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I just recently attempted to use finch seed insted of the old BRF cakes. I PC the jars for and hour and let them soak the night before. One of the jars is a huge 3 quart jar and that one i let soak for a few days before PC (probly the stinky one). any way i think its gone bad because the smell is almost making me vomit. Just wondering if i messed them up? i bet there gona get tossed tonight. i have read many birdseed teks and it looks like my first attempt is a flop. any helpfull sugestions for finch seed would be great. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Michigan
Re: Bird seed smells like crap [Re: MeSaUsA]
    #884949 - 09/16/02 05:10 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I let some bird seed soak for over 24 hours, as I could not get back to it in a timely manner, and it was all ruined. It stunk so I pitched it. It actually started to ferment as the lid on the tupperware container was about to blow off. I dont know if keeping it sealed up caused it to go bad quicker, but anyway I dont soak my seeds any longer. I just put it on the stove for 45 minutes, rinse, allow to drain and then fill the jars and PC accordingly.

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Bird seed smells like crap [Re: MeSaUsA]
    #885017 - 09/16/02 05:39 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

A 3 quart jar (never saw one on those before), or gallon jars are sometimes difficult.

UNLESS, you have the moisture content -- near perfect 50% & PC them about 2 hours +.

Sounds like your 3 quart jar has a bacterial bloom. From the seed being overly wet.

To each his own & whatever works for the individual. :grin:

Use a basic wild bird seed mix (PetCo - $9 - 40 pound bag) that is primarily white & red millet. Some other fancy brands have a antifungal coating. Or, so it has been said.

A simple soak (18 to 24 hours & YES -- the seed begins to ferment -- no harm).

Rinse well, drain VERY WELL, load quart jars 3/4 full, add filter disk & PC 60 to 90 minutes has always worked well for the Raccoon.

(HINT -- After loading jars, if the seed appears a little too wet still, nuke for a few minutes to steam out some excess moisture, then PC)

The Raccoon sometimes adds some dung/straw water left over from pasturizing, to the seed soak. That adds more nutes & seems to speed colonization.

The Raccoon doesnt even take out any floating husks or sunflower seeds, anymore.

With G2G transfers, the Raccoon gets fully colonized jars in 10 or 12 days - easy & consistantly.

6T :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains