Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineststephen65
Stranger
Slow Colinization time question
    #8846329 - 08/29/08 09:01 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So yeah, I inoculated 5 jars of a brown rice flour,verm,water mixture with 10ccs of  Treasure Coast. 8 days later, still nothing....hmmm my first thought is maybe it is not warm enough in my basement closet so i moved em upstairs where it is a steady78-80F.  did they sit in the jars to long at this point? i keep lookin at the jars and nothing....hmmm
oh yes and this is my first time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: ststephen65]
    #8846332 - 08/29/08 09:02 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i have read people have waited up to 2 weeks before germination

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

OfflineNorton
Semi-Newbie
Female
Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: grod31]
    #8846817 - 08/29/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

(I'm still new to the forums, so please correct me if any of my statements are innacurate).

Well, one possible problem is how much spore water you used. 10 ccs for 5 jars is twice the recommended amount. It's possible that you've thrown off the water content ratio of the jars. Do they have any water pooled in them?

If that's not the problem, moving the jars to a warmer area is a good start. I had some inoculated jars that showed no growth after 5 days. I picked one up, and it felt slightly chilly. I made a cheapo incubator, and the jars started colonizing the next day.

Also, what kind of lids are you using on your jars? From what I read, the jars will take longer to colonize if you have a tight-fitting lid. Some gas exchange is necessary for the mycellium to grow.

Lastly, patience is vital with growing mushrooms. I've had jars take  6 weeks or more to fully colonize in the past. Growing mushrooms is by no means a speedy process.

Offlineb2x
Tawhid

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: Norton]
    #8846862 - 08/29/08 11:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Norton hit it on the head.

In the end, like he said, this hobby, above everything else related to it, is a hobby requiring large amounts of patience.  Just give it time.  Don't sweat if it doesn't work out.  If they don't germinate at all, than you've done something wrong.  Re-work your plan and see where it went wrong.  Thats what I love about this hobby.  You can tweak things here and there to come out with the best results.

What are temperatures like in your basement?  At my house, because of a boiler we have down there, my basement is warm year round (a very steady 81 degrees).  So it's perfect for colonization.  I have a friend though whose basement is always cold, probably low 70s.  Take a thermometer and check.  If its like 70 F  down there you might want to take the jars somewhere warmer.

Also I used to live in an apartment.  Cold year round.  So an incubator was a necessity.  Try building one.  It ensures daily consistent temperatures so you never have to worry about temperature fluctuations etc.

--------------------
Power Overwhelming

Edited by b2x (08/29/08 11:23 AM)

Offlinevater
LOST
 User Gallery

Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: Norton]
    #8846869 - 08/29/08 11:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Pictures will help you get a better answer.
Until then you will get a dozen different answers.

--------------------
GRIM GOPHER the great shroom hunter.
Coming in a theater near you.
Rated R

Offlineststephen65
Stranger
Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: vater]
    #8848255 - 08/29/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

vater said:
Pictures will help you get a better answer.
Until then you will get a dozen different answers.

Pictures of what? Some canning jars with what looks like sand in them? I figured everyone got the jist of it and yes thank you guys, you did answer pretty much what i was lookin 4. thanks for the notes.

so yeah there isnt anything out of the ordinary. i moved em upstairs where i know its warmer so i think that will be the ticket.

and yeah i have the holes in the lid for gas exchange with a half inch barrier of dry verm on top and the hole are covered with masking tape but still have the holes from the syringe.

we shall see soon i suppose. If things go as planned ill post up some pics.

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Loc: bass station 1
Re: Slow Colinization time question [Re: ststephen65]
    #8848287 - 08/29/08 04:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Take the tape off the holes. With a layer of dry verm on the top, you shouldnt need to cover your holes. The dry verm acts as a contam barrier. Verm has no nutrients in it for anything to feed off of. As long as you made sure to dry the rim and area where the dry verm was placed you should have not contams in that area.Not saying it wont happen experience just shows it shouldnt. If the holes are covered than there will be no gas exchange. Masking tape isnt a good tape, it doesnt breathe.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds