Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
microscope isolations?
    #8804494 - 08/21/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im curious if the technology exists to view a single mating (substrain) under a microscope and isolate with one transfer? just a thought that poped into the nugget. seems posible. im sure the lab equiptment would be costly.

--------------------
grind

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespacel0rd
anarchohippienerd

Re: microscope isolations? [Re: seven]
    #8805057 - 08/21/08 10:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It is possible. I remember RogerRabbit mentioning using a microscope to identify monokaryons and transfer them. You have to look up the size of the cells you want to extract and check what microscope would do the job. Probably transferring them to a seperate plate would be the harder part. A pipette (dropping glass) should be used. There are pipettes to work on any scale. Dunno how hard it would be to use one for that specific task.

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: microscope isolations? [Re: spacel0rd]
    #8805269 - 08/21/08 11:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, it is entirely possible.  For most amateurs this is probably a bit beyond their reach until they are well-seasoned in the use of agar, culturing methods, the use of a microscope, and have developed a fair amount of dexterity (for picking out what you're after manually). 

Use a magnifying glass to find a small section you're after and transfer it using a very fine tip needle (insulin syringes will work fine for this). Let it grow out about 1 cm and repeat.  You should be able to do this with less work in an average laboratory/setup than trying to isolate it in one step. 

Hyphal tip isolation/transfer/extraction is what you're looking for.

-------
check this post on down in this thread for a little discussion of it

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8077219#Post8077219

Edited by MycoAu (08/21/08 11:31 AM)

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: microscope isolations? [Re: MycoAu]
    #8805381 - 08/21/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for that link! fetching read. :smile:

--------------------
grind

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: microscope isolations? [Re: seven]
    #8806207 - 08/21/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I can easily see individual clamp connections on a slide with the microscope, but there's no way I can hold a scalpel with my hands still enough to extract at the cellular level.

Rhizomorphic sectors on a petri dish are easily visible to the naked eye, so transferring them is still the best way for us amateur mycologists do it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleseven
Male

Re: microscope isolations? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8806557 - 08/21/08 04:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

so it would take some sort of high tech (human control'd) precision robotics for the manual part. lol video game mycology! :smile:  thanks Spacel0rd, MycoAu, and RR . This site has some very intelligent members. I have learned so much in the past 2 months. I feel confident to start my first grow now. Didnt wanna rush anything. thanks again.

--------------------
grind

InvisibleAdoreChampignons
Mycophilic One

Loc: Seti Alpha 5
Re: microscope isolations? [Re: MycoAu]
    #8808563 - 08/21/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MycoAu said:
Yes, it is entirely possible.  For most amateurs this is probably a bit beyond their reach until they are well-seasoned in the use of agar, culturing methods...

We did it in my microbio class in college.  It's really easy.  One just needs to be acquainted with the streak-isolation method.  First dilute the spores in a sterile solution and streak plate it.  Just make sure that the agar concentration is above two percent by weight.  Below two percent makes for a very soft agar that tends to tear a part when the streaking is done with the inoculation loop.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: microscope isolations? [Re: AdoreChampignons]
    #8845537 - 08/29/08 12:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

AdoreChampignons said:
Quote:

MycoAu said:
Yes, it is entirely possible.  For most amateurs this is probably a bit beyond their reach until they are well-seasoned in the use of agar, culturing methods...

We did it in my microbio class in college.  It's really easy.  One just needs to be acquainted with the streak-isolation method.  First dilute the spores in a sterile solution and streak plate it.  Just make sure that the agar concentration is above two percent by weight.  Below two percent makes for a very soft agar that tends to tear a part when the streaking is done with the inoculation loop.

More than one way to skin a cat? Smart. :thumbup:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder