Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetr3eman9
That guy
Last-minute sclerotia tek run through
    #8834752 - 08/27/08 08:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Im basing my upcoming sclerotia grow off of rodger rabbits advice, culled from the depths of the old Mycotopia archives:

"Dont try to soak or boil rye grass seed. For a quart jar, I put 1 1/4 cup of rye grass seed in the dry jar. Add a pinch of gypsum. Just reach into the bag of gypsum and get a pinch between your thumb and forefinger. That will be the right amount for each jar. Swirl the jar around a bit to mix the gypsum into the dry grass seed. Now, add 5/8 cup of weak coffee to the grass seed. Put a solid lid on the jar and shake the hell out of it. Next, after shaking, take the solid lid off, and place a lid with one or two small holes drilled in it, and either use polyfill or filter disks, as you usually would for jars. Cover the tops with foil and PC for an hour and a half at 15lbs.

When using coffee, I get best results by using a pinch of hydrated lime into the coffee before I add to the rye. Pour four cups of normal strength coffee into a pitcher. Add an equal amount of water. To these 8 cups of liquid in your pitcher, get one pinch of hydrated lime between your thumb and forefinger and drop it in. This will neutralize the ph of the coffee. Add this mix to your rye grass seed as described earlier.

The reason for shaking the grass seed with a solid lid is that the water has not yet soaked into the grass seed, and if there are holes in the lid, the water will splash out, and even worse, get your filter wet. A wet filter disk or polyfil is almost guaranteed to grow contamination, especially if its wet with coffee. Filters must be kept dry, or contaminants will colonize right through the middle of them."

im also gonna add a self-healing innoc site to each lid using silicone.
the hole in the lid for the tyvek filter i going to be very small.

any thoughts or advice from you sclerotia lovers?

i also posted something similar in mycotopia btw.

--------------------
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetr3eman9
That guy
Re: Last-minute sclerotia tek run through [Re: tr3eman9] * 1
    #8838377 - 08/27/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i also have a question about rodger rabbit's rye grass seed prep tek on his site -

in the video the lids have three small hole in them, with a filter disc on top.  Is this the best lid type for sclerotia, and where/how do you innoc?  Do you just quickly lift up the filter disc and then replace?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Last-minute sclerotia tek run through [Re: tr3eman9]
    #8839206 - 08/27/08 10:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

One correction to the above is that I no longer use the pinch of lime in the water for the grass seed.

I like to use three piece lids with synthetic filter disks.  I have a bunch of ten year old filter disks that have had hundreds, if not thousands of uses so far and they're still good.  I drill three to four 1/8" holes in each lid.  To inoculate, I lift the lid in a glovebox or in front of a laminar flow hood and drop an agar wedge in.

You can do the same and squirt spore solution, or else use micropore tape and inject through it, and then put another piece over the wound from the syringe.  Really, any commonly used filter is fine. 

However, with a syringe you get far better results by squirting solution on agar in a petri dish, and then looking for sectors with sclerotia forming.  They'll usually start forming stones before the dish is even colonized, so that lets you get a good sclerotia producing colony easily.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetr3eman9
That guy
Re: Last-minute sclerotia tek run through [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8840704 - 08/28/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

what about just 2 layers of PO - Tyvek in place of the filter discs?

although now that I think about it since im ordering from sporeworks I might as well just order the filter discs too.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Last-minute sclerotia tek run through [Re: tr3eman9]
    #8840724 - 08/28/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'd go with the filter disks.  I have five cartons of tyvek coveralls, but still use the filter disks because they're pre-cut to the right size and can be used thousands of times over and over again.  They're the better bargain, even over the PO tyvek which is free, but must be cut each time.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag