Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Ready to birth? pics
    #8833212 - 08/27/08 12:11 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My cake had stopped growing, and then I took the foil off the lid and decreased the temp (it's puerto rico, so I thought it liked higher temp but I guess not!) and it begun colonizing again.

Pics below show exactly what it looks like now. Except you can't see that it has moisture droplets all over the outside of the mycelium. The mycelium that is there looks pretty strong, though it is not complete. Should I keep waiting?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Pics below:

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Loc: bass station 1
Re: Ready to birth? pics [Re: Patisotagami]
    #8833229 - 08/27/08 12:14 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

How long has it been? Ive had cakes keep going for over a month and a half before they were fully colonized. Use a thin point sharpy and outline the area where you think it has stopped growing. Let it be for a few days and then check the outline. If after 3 or 4 days you see no more growth chances are it has stalled out.

OfflinePatisotagami
Organism
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Ready to birth? pics [Re: eseare]
    #8833263 - 08/27/08 12:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

if it has, indeed, 'stalled out', is it still good to birth? or has it gone "bad" and can it not be used to grow the shrooms?

--------------------
EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Loc: bass station 1
Re: Ready to birth? pics [Re: Patisotagami]
    #8833294 - 08/27/08 12:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ya you can still use it...several options. First I'd try to outline and check growth. I recently posted a thread about first grow with wbs. In there are some pics of a jar i thought stalled with an outline. Thte growth you will see came about within the last week or so.

If they are stalled birth them in an extremely clean environment. From the looks of the jar it isnt apparent whether or not you have a layer of dry verm up top. If thats the case, plus combining the fact the whole cake hasnt colonized, contams will have a field day if given the opportunity.

One choice is cut off the uncolonized substrate then dunk. Do some research, there have been several posts lately that have numerous answers to this question.

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: Ready to birth? pics [Re: eseare]
    #8833331 - 08/27/08 12:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What're your temps at? ALso, you could always just cut out the uncolnized part and make a mini casing?

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: Ready to birth? pics [Re: misos]
    #8833343 - 08/27/08 12:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

To answer your question, no. Do not birth yet.  Wait till everything is white except the dry verm layer, and after that wait 3-4 days then dunk and roll it, then birth.  You'll get more shrooms, faster if you wait, and it won't contaminate.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation