Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChrissi
Stranger

Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it....
    #8819492 - 08/24/08 12:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Just wanted to make a quick post before I went to work... maybe some people remember when I first posted about my first grow, it seemed that of my two syringes, each had a unique and separate contaminant.

Now I am confused.

One syringe was totally, definitely contaminated and all the jars are f'd up, there's no saving them.  I'm gonna throw them in some boiling water tonight.

But the other... well...

Initially, there were these pink little balls AROUND THE inoculation SITES, like so, after sitting for 3 days:

This was pretty worrying, considering it's the first thing I saw that didn't look like myc.

A few days later, there wasn't any myc forming like there was in my other jars (which later became totally contaminated), so I was sure that these ones had contams and the others were healthy.  But the others failed miserably and these I'm not so sure about.

A few days later I've got this:

I got discouraged and left them alone for awhile. I kinda forgot about them and was scared to open my box and check on them.  It's now approximately 20 days later, and, OMG, look what I found...

OMG it looks so white and beautiful.  This grew out of the jars that developed PINK BALLS AROUND THE INNOC SITES.  What?  It seems the myc just grew right over them.  The pink balls never really changed.  They turned a bit more orange and that's that.

Now I am really confused.  What were the pink balls around the innoc sites?  Why did the myc grow right over it?  Is it safe to eat any shrooms that might develop off these cakes?  Does ANYONE have any idea?  Has anyone seen the pink balls before?

Gotta go to work, will check back later.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepftek

Re: Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it.... [Re: Chrissi]
    #8821966 - 08/24/08 10:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

looks  fine to me. grow away.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it.... [Re: pftek]
    #8822714 - 08/25/08 01:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know what the orange dots were, but they weren't mold.  It looks OK, so I'd wait a week after full colonization, and then birth/dunk and roll.  Make sure they smell like fresh mushrooms when you birth the cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it.... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8823426 - 08/25/08 07:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've had those same pinkish dots on fully colonized cakes. It seems as though the cakes were sweating this pink stuff.  It didn't get too bad and the cakes didn't seem to mind it but I threw them out.

I didn't have any agar plates at the time. If I did I would have swabbed some of the stuff on a dish to see if it was alive or just some weird waste product.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it.... [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #8823543 - 08/25/08 08:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It could be a yeast. Species of Rhodotorula can be pink.

OfflineChrissi
Stranger

Re: Tiny pink balls? But myc grew over it.... [Re: Hotnuts]
    #8823668 - 08/25/08 10:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, thanks guys.

The idea I'm getting is that, as long as there's a good outcome and the myc looks good and smells nice, it doesn't matter what the pink balls were?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation